• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Parties in NJ

Rosie

Well then, expect a LOT of reports about the food at the Trenton Marriott! :shock: Holiday Party Fri at Trenton Marriott, Dinner at Rats Saturday, at Diamonds on Sunday, Trenton Marriott Wednesday, Trenton Mariott Thursday, Drumthwacket Friday, Spring Lake Inn Saturday...I just bought three red turtlenecks, so there will always be a clean one! The personal ones are the dinners at Rat's and Diamonds, and Spring Lake is a wedding... All the rest is politics and business.

our work party was scheduled for friday night but the caterers graciously let us move the date to yesterday. unfortunately that meant the party had to be in the library instead of at someone's home and it was in the middle of the day so no alcohol :angry:

Grapevine Fine Wines in Rockaway did the catering(second party they have done for us in the last two months).there was plenty of food leftover for lunches today - sandwiches on really nice bread, layered cheese terrines, salads - pasta, antipasto, green; a tray of pasta with peas and mushrooms in a vodka sauce, bread stuffed with herb butter and a tray of cookies. it was ok but i miss the appetizer and dessert parties we always did at this time of year. :sad:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Trenton Marriott: 250 ppl. 4 buffet tables: " Mexican", "Italian" "American" and " Asian". Ugh.

Mexican had fajitas ( chix and beef) on a zsizzle platter with a chef, and then a make your own fixins bars with the usual suspects, plus a vat of yellow rice, and some suspicious looking paella.

Italian had ziti, some ravioliis and tortellinni, grilled veg, marinated mushrooms, caesar salads

American had a mased potatoe bar that was good, beef, turkey and hamstations.

Asian has suspicious looking sushi, and some potsticers, and salmonin a god awful teriyaki sauce.

my place likes to party. too bad we do it so poorly. to wit:

we had our annual holiday 'pot luck' with another department last week. members of my department brought in lots of nice homemade dishes. the other department chipped in for a cold cut platter from the local shop rite. again.

another party is tomorrow. at an o'connor's beef 'n ale somewhere in central jersey. including karaoke. again.

then a sub-department lunch on friday at 3 west (OK, OK, that'll be nice).

i know i'm forgetting one...

Hope the next party is better!

And in rereading my post, let's hope my typing is better, too! And that was without a glass of wine! I got my nails cut off, hoping that would improve my typing accuracy, but to no avail! Of course, proofreading might help! :wacko:

Diamonds , at the former Merlino's site on the river in Ewing, was its usual below par self. Poor service, out of half the wines on the list, and uninspired, overcooked food. They were darn good when they were in the Chambersburg location, and now they just...suck.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Kim--that's two unsatisfactory experiences. Let's hope the NEXT one is better.

I doubt it, but then again, I didn't start with high expectations! Rat's was wonderful, the Champagne dinner exceeded my expectations, so it will balalnce the rest of the hotel food out!

• 2 weeks later...

Well our luncheon at La Famiglia in Bogota, was OK! It was buffet style, the eggplant rollatini was good as was the chicken piccata. The rest was uneventful! It is a BYOB restaurant and the boss brought the wine. That was unspectaculor!

All in all it was better than working!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

I had the pleasure of organizing my husband's first annual office party a few weeks ago. Since his office is in Mt. Olive, I decided to do it at one of our absolute favorite restaurants, Andre's in Newton. It was a very small affair (only ten people). We did a sit-down three-course prix-fixe luncheon. Andre gave us a choice of soup (carrot-ginger or onion) or salad, main course (swordfish, pork tenderloin or chicken) and a dessert sampler (caramel bread pudding, ice cream, apple crisp & cheesecake). Everything was beautifully executed and served. The carrot-ginger soup was rich with complex flavors. The swordfish was very simply seared and seasoned, crisp on the outside, mouthwatering on the inside, and was perhaps the best prepared I have ever had. The desserts were subtly sweet and beautiful. It was also incredibly well priced. He charged us $22.50 + tax per person and an automatically added 20% tip. He ran a tab on the alcohol. We had the option of adding one hour of hors d'oeuvres for additional $15.00 per person which we will likely do next year. An utterly delightful lunch!