• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Trip to Vancouver Island

MaryIsobel

Left from Horseshoe Bay in Vancouver - destination, Qualicum on Vancouver Island. Arrived in Nanaimo, had a quick visit with a friend who is in a care facility for traumatic brain injuries there, then headed to our accomodation, stopping briefly at a grocery store for breakfast fruit, yogurt, etc. Arrived at our beachfront condo, unpacked, had an extended happy hour and decided to just walk next door to a diner type place. Upon arrival, the owner greeted us, and let us know that they were slammed and we were welcome to come on in, but the food might be a while. We were fine with that, their Monday special was double Margarita rocks for 6.00. Food was good if basic. My beef dip was elevated with a garlic/horseradish aioli. Back to the condo for a champagne toast to the sunset

IMG_7632.jpeg

beef dip.jpg

IMG_7646.jpeg

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Well yesterday was a bit of a bust food wise. After a morning beach walk, we headed out and had a late lunch with my 90 year old aunt (she's a hoot.) We told her to choose the restaurant and the place she chose was a Denny's type place with probably the worst service I have encountered in recent years. We had a great visit and then headed to the market at Coombs (famous for goats on the roof.) It's a great market with tons of international foods, but we weren't feeling terribly hungry so bought some cheeses and foccacia and that will be dinner after a couple of restorative cocktails on the beach. We'll do better tomorrow. Unfortunately the restaurant that I was really looking forward to (one of @FauxPasrecommendations) The Cuckoo Trattoria is only open Thursday to Sunday and we'll be heading to another part of the Island on Thursday morning.

cheese_7662.jpg

goats_7659.jpg

beach am_7655.jpg

BEACH SUNSET_7676.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Left Qualicum Beach this morning for a night in Courtenay after indulging ourselves at the Kingfisher Spa. Had a late brunch after the spa at the restaurant on the grounds. Grilled tomato and avacado eggs benedict for two of us and my other sister had butter poached crab and smoked salmon benny. The potatoes were interesting; obviously deep fried and the inside was roughly mashed, quite rich potato. It was all very good but for the first time in years, I had to ask for salt. I think it may have been left out of any part of the eggs benedict. My sister who had the seafood one said hers was fine, but my other sister who also had the tomoato and avacado also found it underseasoned. Minor. A glass of wine topped off a lovely meal. The spa is right on the ocean and as the accomodations are at a lower elevation than the spa and restaurant, the have covered the roof of the accommodation with sand and driftwood. It's not hard to imagine that that is the beach. Not sure what's in store for dinner tonight, still looking at options.

KF1_7720.jpg

KF2_7718.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Left Qualicum Beach this morning for a night in Courtenay after indulging ourselves at the Kingfisher Spa.

Welcome to the Valley! Hope you have a wonderful visit and let me know if I can be of any help. Are you staying in Comox Valley for dinner? It's probably pretty nice on the deck at Blackfin Pub and the view is lovely when the tide is in. It just seems like too nice an evening to sit inside, but depends what you are interested in. Martine's and Tostano's are pretty good in Comox. Sushi Wara. Gladstone Brewing in downtown Courtenay has a nice patio and some people watching. Crown Isle has a nice dining room if you like golf course and forest views. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have to ask about the bird sculpture - driftwood?  I went on a local garden tour once with lots of pieces made from the parts of the big palms that the winds blow down round here. V-cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Bisque Restaurant and Fluid Bar & Grill are also options in Courtenay. 

Thanks FauxPas, it is 7:00 and we are still not terribly hungry, so mulling over ideas over another cocktail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Have to ask about the bird sculpture - driftwood?  I went on a local garden tour once with lots of pieces made from the parts of the big palms that the winds blow down round here. V-cool

Yes, the eagle sculpture is driftwood, we have seen a few lovely examples of this type of work on the island.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Ann_T, a very happy anniversary to you and Moe!

Thanks @kayb

@MaryIsobel, welcome to the Island.  You picked a wonderful time to be here. Weather has been perfect the last couple of weeks.  

At least for me, because I love it hot.   Only thing I miss about Ontario is a long hot summer. 

On 8/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, Ann_T said:

Thanks @kayb

@MaryIsobel, welcome to the Island.  You picked a wonderful time to be here. Weather has been perfect the last couple of weeks.  

At least for me, because I love it hot.   Only thing I miss about Ontario is a long hot summer. 

Thanks Ann. It was good to be back after almost three years. I have visisted the Island, mainly either the Qualicum Parksville area or Ucluelet/Tofino almost every years since I was in my early 20's. All areas are growing development wise, but I find that Qualicum has held onto it's small town charm.The weather was perfect while we were there.