• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranberry sauce

KateW

Well I bet there is another thread on this but I did a search here and came up with 4,000 results. Yikes. Please point me in the right direction if there is such a thread.

Anyway, I was watching Alton Brown on TV last week or so and he made a cranberry sauce almost exactly the way my mom, and therefore I, do; he takes whole cranberries and simmers them in a bunch of good stuff, and he adds ginger ale, which I was not familiar with. But I digress.

Then he took the whole beautiful thing and pureed it. I was surprised by this. It seemed to turn out pretty soupy in the end. Does anyone besides me enjoy cranberry sauce with whole cranberries? What do you like to put in it?

We always have the classic with the whole cranberries and oranges. There are a gazillion recipes out there. I like the ginger idea. That sounds really good. In fact that sounds so good, I might consider scraping some fresh ginger and adding to taste.

When my dad was alive, he had to have the quivering blob from the can so we had that, too. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Cranberries, sugar, and a little water. Nothing else, as long as you want to call it cranberry sauce.

I've also made cranberry relish, chutney, etc, but they're not cranberry sauce.

Did he chill his? It should have set up when it got cold, if he didn't dilute it too much.

Did he chill his? It should have set up when it got cold, if he didn't dilute it too much.

hey..then he could have stuck it in a spare can, and called it "cranberry sauce" and everyone would be happy.

He did not chill it. I just looked up the recipe online and it is called a "dipping sauce", meant to be served alongside the meal in individual ramekins. Interesting. The link is here, if anyone is interested.

I was just thinking, after reading your comments about ginger, that it might make more sense to add fresh ginger, and replace the lost volume with more orange juice or even water, since the ginger ale doesnt really add much to the sauce that some fresh ginger couldn't do better, does it?

I did his "dipping sauce" last year, and just like it sounds it is a dipping sauce bestsuited to be served in individual ramekins along side the turkey. Although it tasted good, two things I did not like about it:

1- After pureeing it the tough cranberry skins stay in the sauce whole and are a pain in the neck and not very tasty so I had to strain them out.

2- It WAS too soupy, I prefer a chunkier sauce.

So this year I will follow a a similar recipe but add less liquid and I will not puree it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here is Emeril's recipe for cranberry sauce. It is very similar to what we make if you drop the port and cinnamon. (However that does sound pretty good.)

I agree that the ginger ale probably wouldn't add enough ginger. I think I will try the fresh and go with the orange juice.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Most of the recipes referred to contain elements of a cranberry recipe that I've used for years with very favorable results.

Simmer 1 C port for 10 min. Add 6 cups fresh cranberries and stir until all have popped - about 5 min. Add 1 C sugar, 3 T minced shallots, 2 T minced ginger, 2 T grated orange zest, 1 T grated lemon zest, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t cardoman, and 1/4 t salt. Stir until mixture dissolves and mixture returns to simmer - about 5 min. remove from heat, set aside and allow to come to room temp.

Oh my that sounds good, dls. Can I assume you are using a ruby port?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The above reference to port reminds me of what I do when I am at someone's house that insists upon the canned sauce.

I stir into it about 3 T port; and either 1 T frozen OJ concentrate and some orange zest; or about 2 T orange marmalade.

Really perks it up.

Or sometimes, a little Grand Marnier.

Any of these things helps improve the flavor of that canned sauce, but doesn't change it so much that determined aficionados complain.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Fifi - I use ruby port. As an aside, I made a batch last night to freeze and take to my house in FL for Thanksgiving (primary res. is Chgo). I just realized that the port used was an 85 Fonseca VP. A bit extravagent for a cranberry dish but it was all that I had on hand.

Does anyone besides me enjoy cranberry sauce with whole cranberries?

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!

Me, too. I always use whole berries in my cranberry sauces. Even when circumstances dictate that I buy the canned sauce to "doctor up," I go with the "whole berry" variety. I much prefer the texture and flavor of the whole berry varieties.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm with Trish, like a cranberry applesauce blend. Port and cinnamon? Now that has potential too.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

The above reference to port reminds me of what I do when I am at someone's house that insists upon the canned sauce.

I stir into it about 3 T port; and either 1 T frozen OJ concentrate and some orange zest; or about 2 T orange marmalade.

Really perks it up.

Or sometimes, a little Grand Marnier. 

Any of these things helps improve the flavor of that canned sauce, but doesn't change it so much that determined aficionados complain.

Jaymes:

Great minds think alike. I make two different cranberry sauces for the holidays. One is basically the recipe off the back of the bag, but with the zest of one whole orange microplaned in, plus the orange segments (with pith sliced off) whirled around in the food processor. I will occasionally add a bit of unflavored gelatin just so I know it will set up nicely. And a healthy splash of Grand Marnier at the end is de rigeur :biggrin: .

The other variety is a cranberry-jalapeno relish recipe that I swiped off of This Site and goes particularly well with the deep fried turkey that my friends serve every year. Alas, this year they have other familial obligations, so I'll be dining with other dear friends and not making any cranberry sauces/chutneys/relishes. I'm making a Pumpkin Flan for dessert instead.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A friend gave me a recipe for cranberry sauce with port wine and figs that is so incredibly delicious I had ZERO leftovers last year (made it for Xmas with the family in AZ. I won't be making it for Thanksgiving, because slkinsey would bitch).

But I CAN'T FIND THE FREAKING RECIPE!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

A friend gave me a recipe for cranberry sauce with port wine and figs that is so incredibly delicious I had ZERO leftovers last year (made it for Xmas with the family in AZ. I won't be making it for Thanksgiving, because slkinsey would bitch).

But I CAN'T FIND THE FREAKING RECIPE!

K

Well for goodness sake, call that friend and get it! I, for one, would love to try it. It sounds spectacular.

My local paper (Austin-American Statesman) had a recipe for cranberry maple chutney where they used 2:1 ratio of maple syrup and sugar. They also added chopped pecans or walnuts- I think bits of nuts add suddle texture variety.