• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab questions

LJC

Wow, great response!

Wesza you may love crab even more than I. Do you know what kind of crab it might have been that I had in Columbia?

I have family in Venezuela and I visit them a couple of time per year. There is a place where we go for lobsters and we always order a crab salad appetizer. I called my in-laws to ask them if they knew what kind of crab it is and they described the same large spiney crab I had in Columbia. They told me that it comes from Merecaibo (near Colombia) and it is the same crab that is exported to the states as pasteurized Venezuelan lump crab meat. Does anyone know what kind of crab this might be and if they can be found live in the states? (the pasteurized lump meat is ok but fresh is sooooo sweet)

What is it about Joe's in Miami that every one here loves so much? is it the extraordinary prices? the wait? the decor? the relatively small claws they stock? The only thing that I like about Joe's is the Key Lime Pie and you can buy it from the take away store.

Good point Susan; they only harvest Stone Crab Claws so it is politically correct to eat them.

Edited by LJC (log)

I got the first shipment of stone crab claws to Grash's in milwaukee this year, I ordered 12 thinking I was going to get the regular small ones sold in the midwest. They were huge and as good as any we had in Florida. When we checked out my wife almost fell over at the register, about 5 #'s worth at $25/#. -Dick

I'm not very familiar about the types of Crabs available in South America.

But I received from a Australian Purveyor whom i've consulted for many years a Christmas Treat that's awesome for Crab Eaters.

This packaged contained a "Tasmanian Giant Crab" weight 8 1/2 pounds, a Austalian Mud Crab, weight 2 1/2 pounds and 2 Spanner Crabs that looked like our Blue Crabs, with longer claws.

These had all been Steamed, Flash Frozen and packed in Dry Ice.

I've never seem anything quite like the Tasmanian Crab, except that the Claws were Black Tipped and Red,, similarly colored like the Stone Crabs, but longer and not as dense.

The Mud Crab's appearance was similar to many of the Asian Type Crabs in appearence and coloration.

All the Crabs were very good tasting, but my favorite was the Tasmanian, it was sweet, flakey and everything you'd expect in a dream crab. I'd love to have the chance to cook it live. It's being sold live to the Asian Markets and has a protected fishing season.

Looking over my notes I overlooked 2 kinds of Crabs that I enjoyed in Scotland.

Brown Crab

Velvet Crab

These were from the Shetlands Isle of Ulist, where I fished for Salmon and Sea Trout and Skate.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Wow, great response!

Wesza you may love crab even more than I. Do you know what kind of crab it might have been that I had in Columbia?

I have family in Venezuela and I visit them a couple of time per year. There is a place where we go for lobsters and we always order a crab salad appetizer. I called my in-laws to ask them if they knew what kind of crab it is and they described the same large spiney crab I had in Columbia. They told me that it comes from Merecaibo (near Colombia) and it is the same crab that is exported to the states as pasteurized Venezuelan lump crab meat. Does anyone know what kind of crab this might be and if they can be found live in the states? (the pasteurized lump meat is ok but fresh is sooooo sweet)

What is it about Joe's in Miami that every one here loves so much? is it the extraordinary prices? the wait? the decor? the relatively small claws they stock? The only thing that I like about Joe's is the Key Lime Pie and you can buy it from the take away store.

Good point Susan; they only harvest Stone Crab Claws so it is politically correct to eat them.

I think Joe's is where people from out of town first eat stone crabs when they're visiting Miami. We lived in Miami for over 20 years - and I love stone crabs. But - when you get right down to it - most stone crabs pretty much come from the same place (the Florida Keys). And they're cooked where they're caught and shipped to food stores and restaurants. So - basically - no matter where you buy or eat them - you're only dealing with 4 variables: how fresh they are (which means they're not selling you crabs from day before yesterday); how big they are (I tend to prefer large - not medium or jumbo); how well they're cracked; and how good the mustard sauce is. Despite all the hassles with Joe's - their crabs are always very fresh, you can pick the size you want, they are cracked well, and the mustard sauce is great. When you're spending as much money as you spend on stone crabs - you don't want any surprises. When we lived in Miami - we weren't fond of dining at Joe's - but we liked to do take-out. Joe's has a web site where you can get detailed instructions about cracking crabs - and the recipe for its sauce. You can also buy the crabs on line and have them delivered by overnight fedex. Robyn

Dungeness Crab :wub: While all the crabs were great, Dungeness definitely rules.

The ones I had recently for my birthday had to be right up there with the best I ever ate(the ones from Seattle).

:raz:

if there's any one reason I would not be able to move away from Seattle, it would be because I just can't tear myself away from the DUNGENESS. They are *awesome*.

that being said, I also adore soft-shelled.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Sometimes, when it comes to Dungenese Crabs, Seattle truly rules.

Just returned from my favorite Asian Seafood Market where I purchased 3 large live Crabs that weighed 11 1/4 Pounds. I'm debating weather to get them Drunk and then steam them or to Simply Steam or to Saute with Black Beans, Garlic, Chili, Ginger and Far Duo Wine for dinner tonight.

I've got excellent rice, fresh runner beans, watercress, pea pods and bok choy for side dishes with the crab.

For a Soup i'm cooking 1/2 of a Sturgeons Head [6 pounds] with Carrots, Ginger, Dry Mushrooms, Garlic, Sweet Onions, Leaf Parsley, Chinese Celery with Diced Serrano Ham and Ginko Nuts.

For dessert I made a Almond Fruit Jelly and Fresh Chestnut Cream Pie.

This will be a old fahioned dinner for 4 adults and 3 children.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

most interesting crab i have eaten is the Horseshoe crab where one eats only the Roe. Tastes nutty and crunchy. Delicious.

Best Crab?

Grilled Alaskan King Crab

my mouth waters at the thought.

Exotic crabs? hmmm I like Hairy Crab...steamed and eaten with Mayonaise.

I dont really like Flower Crabs.

Sri Lankan Mudcrabs with Pepper sauce is YUMMY.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

deep fried soft shell blue crabs

the little tiny crabs that come in oysters- they roast right along with the oyster-a special treat.

stone crabs can be found in water at least as far north as north carolina- i've pulled crab pots with my brother before and he used to make a killing selling the claws- you pull one claw off then throw the crab back in the water. we'd smash the spider crabs against the side of the boat to kill them-competition for the blue crab's environment. guess PETA'd have a fit!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I think Joe's is where people from out of town first eat stone crabs when they're visiting Miami. We lived in Miami for over 20 years - and I love stone crabs. But - when you get right down to it - most stone crabs pretty much come from the same place (the Florida Keys). And they're cooked where they're caught and shipped to food stores and restaurants. So - basically - no matter where you buy or eat them - you're only dealing with 4 variables: how fresh they are (which means they're not selling you crabs from day before yesterday); how big they are (I tend to prefer large - not medium or jumbo); how well they're cracked; and how good the mustard sauce is. Despite all the hassles with Joe's - their crabs are always very fresh, you can pick the size you want, they are cracked well, and the mustard sauce is great. When you're spending as much money as you spend on stone crabs - you don't want any surprises.” - Robyn

I would agree that Joes does cater to tourists. I also agree that "you're only dealing with 4 variables: how fresh they are (which means they're not selling you crabs from day before yesterday); how big they are; how well they're cracked; and how good the mustard sauce is". This is why I can't stand Joe's; yes, the crabs are fresh, well cracked and the sauce is good but should they get a medal for this? Does this justify there charging 50% more than others? I have eaten Stone Crabs from several other seafood restaurants in Miami (I have my favorite, but it is not the point of the post) and taken them out form fish mongers and I have found much larger claws for as much as 50% less.

For example, my favorite seafood shack offered 5 sizes ranging from small to jumbo and costing from $20/lb (7 claws) to $28.50/lb (3 claws). They are as high quality as you can find, very well cracked, offered in any size you may desire, the sauce is very good (how do you f-up mustard and mayo) and the price is unbeatable. I stopped in to Joe's Take Away for a Key Lime Pie (I love their key lime) and saw that they offered only three sizes "med., large and Jumbo"; the "Jumbo" were 5 claws/lb and cost $43.50. I only wonder what they would charge for real jumbos and I also wonder if they get a premium for dining in Joe's as opposed to take away. At any rate I would have to conclude that they cater to the tourist trade.

As for the Columbian/Venezuelan Crab species I think they may be called "Jaivo", pronounced [hai-bo]. Does this ring any bells for other crab lovers?

Edited by LJC (log)

AzRaeL, I had no idea that one could eat ANY part of a horseshoe crab. Years ago in Delaware there were times that, literally, so many horseshoe crabs were on the beach, we couldn't walk on the beach. If the roe was a delicacy, I could have become a billionaire. Did you buy it commercially or obtain some live horseshoe crabs? Please tell me more! :shock: -Susan

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

AzRaeL, I had no idea that one could eat ANY part of a horseshoe crab. Years ago in Delaware there were times that, literally, so many horseshoe crabs were on the beach, we couldn't walk on the beach. If the roe was a delicacy, I could have become a billionaire. Did you buy it commercially or obtain some live horseshoe crabs? Please tell me more! :shock: -Susan

i ate the roe of HorseShoe crab while i was on Holiday at Phuket.

can't seem to find the recipe but i think it was just steamed and eaten like that

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

<<This is why I can't stand Joe's; yes, the crabs are fresh, well cracked and the sauce is good but should they get a medal for this? Does this justify there charging 50% more than others?>>

If you're saying you think Joe's is overpriced - you won't get any argument from me <smile>. We used to buy crabs at other places too - but - since we haven't lived in Miami for 8 years now - my recommendations are probably stale.

My parents - who live in northern Broward country - buy crabs at King's (a food market) - and they've been good (in terms of size and freshness) whenever my parents have served them for dinner. My father made a "crab cracking contraption" for the garage. It works fine. And I make the mustard sauce recipe from Joe's. So we have the bases covered.

Seafood contraptions are highly underrated. I used to hate rock shrimp until we found a place that had perfected a (patented) rock shrimp device (Dixie Crossings in Titusville FL - about 2 miles off I-95 for those of you on the interstate). Robyn

• 2 months later...

I spent the holidays in Oregon where they're now having a great Dungeness season. Dungeness, it goes without saying, is my favorite. It may be a function of the fact that I grew up on the West Coast and of the magic that happens between fathers and sons over dinner tables taken over by thick layers of newspaper, freshly cooked and chilled and cleaned crabs, and big bowls of melted butter. What's a shame is that you can't really get it here in Minnesota.

Dungeness!!!

Loved going to Jack's in the Market for live crab - they're also the only seafood vendors with a tank, who cook their own crab. I wish I'd had my camera the morning I was down there early and watched a pallet of frozen crab being unloaded at another seafood place!

BEST crab experience: Depoe Bay, OR a few summers ago. As friend and I stopped at the scenic spot just north of town (Devils...Churn?), we noted a crab boat so low in the water it was nearly sinking. We headed excitedly down the narrow, steep road to the habor, and bought two live ones off a boat. Following the directions to have 'the girl over there' cook them for us, we found this young woman in fisherman's yellow waders, cigarette hanging out of her mouth. She had a large stockpot boiling away on a bunsen burner, and told us it'd be a dollar each to cook and clean the crabs. We handed over the money and sack of lively crabs.

She took one crab in her rubber gloved hands, raised it above her head, and brought it down forcefully on the edge of a stainless steel sink. "Gotta kill 'em quick" she grunted. Next, the shell was ripped off, and the innards quickly dispached. Same sequence followed with the second crab. She was moving so fast, her ciggie fell out of her lips, into the gooey guts in the crab shell on the ground. She picked it up, studied it for a moment, shrugged, and put the cig back in her mouth.

Both crabs were splashed into the boiling water, and we were told to take a walk for 10 minutes. When we returned, she cracked the crabs and put them, still piping hot into the bag. We drove back to the overlook, pulled a couple of Henry's out of the cooler, and had the most Fantastic crab dinner, overlooking the swirling ocean and setting sun.

*Lovely*

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

And I didn't used to mind going to Florida in the winter when we could have stone crab claws. Is it true they only harvest the claws, and the crabs regenerate them?

Florida protects their stone crabs more than they protect their children. There's a little place close to my secondary residence near Sarasota that has a couple of boats and fresh stones,several times a day, every day, in season. Had a couple of beers a few years ago with a local commercial fisherman who told me they could only harvest ONE claw of a certain size or larger (other is left for for protection). He got a little aggresive - lost his boat, 5 year ban on his license and, a $50,000 fine.

I've had a lot of stones, and am not overly fond of them unless they are fresh out of the water. Anything more than 6-12 hours out of the water are a waste. Frozen are terrible and places like Joes in Miami are grossly overrated, overpriced, overcrowded, overnoisy, and overetc. A tourists paradise.

My all time favorites are Carribean or South Florida soft shells or those little fresh ones you get in Venice.

=mark and I must have similar crab appetites.

I love in order of preference Giant Alaskan King Crab Legs, Stone Crab Claws, Soft shell crabs.. I don't have the patience for dealing with hard shell blue crabs and have never had but would love to try Dungeness. I have been getting huge Alaskan King Crab at out local Costco. The quality has been excellent. Extremely sweet and meaty. Great with drawn butter.