• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carman's Country Kitchen

Fat Guy

What about those guys from The Wire? We could ask them. But they might kill us. My brother-in-law, a cop in Connecticut, told me when that show came out, "Philly is a tough place."

The Wire is set in Bal-more. Last season did feature several trips to Philly, though -- including a visit to the "harbor" here. Yeah, right.

Oops. It was Baltimore my brother-in-law was talking about. You're right. Philly cops are wimps by comparison!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I put myself through law school doing bail interviews in "The Tank" in the basement of the Round House. Dunno about Baltimore cops, but Philly cops can really dish it out. Then there's the quaint practice of giving arrestees a "ride" -- hands cuffed behind their backs, prisoners are tossed into the back of a van for a wild trip across Philly's poorly paved streets. One man suffered a permanent disability after one such ride. And don't forget John Timoney going toe-to-toe with the anarchos at the RNC.

Y'know, while I like the food at CCK, that profile makes me not want to go back. 

No feeding cops?  Whatever.

You've gotta be kidding! This is classic Carman, in all her glory. I adore her, and her food. What a terrific piece.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

You've gotta be kidding! This is classic Carman, in all her glory. I adore her, and her food. What a terrific piece.

No, I'm not kidding. I'm sure that many people will be charmed by this article; but while I believe Holly when he says it's not accurate, I nonetheless found it obnoxious.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

As much as I like Carman, I would never set foot in a restaurant where cops (or firefighters, or military personnel) are refused service. And since Holly, who knows Carman about as well as anybody, says cops do get served there, I think the paper needs to clarify its statement.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You are definitely unreasonable. Reasonableness is, of course, defined by what I think about any given subject. And, to a lesser extent, what Chris Cognac thinks.

Not much lesser of an extent though!...

On a lighter note, I am watching QVC gourmet food show and I am sure glad I dont have my wallet with me in my lazy boy!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Carman's on Saturday, which is much less packed than on Sunday, and had excellent pineapple+someotherfruit waffles topped with sugared cranberries, walnuts & yogurt, and a lovely chanterelle+othermushroom, onion, shallot, garlic and goat cheese omelette. Yum. The lunch choice was quail with currants. I wish they had a website or answering machine so that you could check the 4 menu choices before you decide to go. Ditto this for Sarcone's bakery- half the time the long loaves are gone when I get there.

kt

• 3 weeks later...

My 2cents.

Went there today (sat) for brunch, sat at the bar. Called ahead an hour or two before for reservations though it wasn't that packed. We had the Challah french toast with golden beets + mixed fruit + other stuff I cannot remember the waffles with pine nuts (and other stuff, my memory fails me).

The food was good, if a bit experimental. I'd avoid it if you're into more "standard" fare. Service guys were great, didn't meet Carmen... I wasn't "wowed" by the food, but I'd go there again.

• 5 months later...

Stopped by Carman's for brunch today and ordered the veal sweetbread entree. Cooked with moral mushrooms, butter, a touch of cream and bread crumbs. Served with two eggs, home fries, and toast. A wonderful change of pace for breakfast. The sweetbreads are on the menu all this week.

LOL, I was thinking that myself, which is why I clicked on the topic -- was wondering if the spelling was intentional!

Veal sweetbreads... mmmm.. Never had them for breakfast, but in my opinion they have sort of a "SPAMmy" flavor and texture that I think would work quite well.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Oops, please forgive the spelling on the topic.  Where's the spellcheck when you need it!

Right, and check those mushrooms as well. I know Carman and she's an ethical woman, but part of her ethic would have been to use immoral mushrooms if she could have found any. :laugh:

I assumed the topic was in homage to the slogan painted on the front doors of Carman's truck. Holly would know best.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Oops, please forgive the spelling on the topic.  Where's the spellcheck when you need it!

Right, and check those mushrooms as well. I know Carman and she's an ethical woman, but part of her ethic would have been to use immoral mushrooms if she could have found any. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh also my wife had the pancakes with summer squash, oregano, and... some other stuff. She liked them OK but had difficulty adjusting to the savory in pancakes--I on the other hand thought it was exactly what pancakes have been missing my whole life. They weren't a boring sweet starchfest like pancakes usually are (pancakes are one of the reasons I don't usually go out for brunch).

Agree. Pancakes are perfect mediums for "savory." Carman does a savory pancake every month or two. I said elsewhere but her corn meal pancakes with fresh corn served last month are one of my all time favorites.

There used to be a place here that served chipped beef on pancakes. No longer, but the Melrose will do it for me.

And whenever I here of a place serving Chicken and Waffles I keep hoping it isn't a Roscoe's ripp-off (an LA restaurant serving a waffle and fried chicken combination) but rather like my mother used to make with creamed chicken or more commonly left over creamed turkey topping the waffle. Comfort food you can jump into and snuggle around in.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Chicken and waffles (or more often chicken and biscuits--the biscuits made with the chicken fat skimmed from making the stewed chicken the day before) was a regular dinner at my house growing up. In fact, they were one of my favorite meals. When Jones showed up with chicken and waffles on the menu, I was pretty psyched, but then it came out with fried chicken on top, which frightened and confused me. Other than that, it was pretty similar to my mom's version, which is straight out of upstate PA.

Damn I love that stuff.

I was under the impression waffles with fried chicken was born in the South. With fried chicken is how it is served at southern food places in NYC.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.