• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

I saw this product being shown at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) in August. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was going for, but I do recall that it did garner a lot of interest and had I not been tired, I probably would have paid more attention.

I didn't bother lining up to get a sample of the grilled cheese sandwich... the wait was too long (who doesn't like grilled cheese sandwiches?)

:smile: Chococrazy

Excellent pictures, guys.  Why don't you try cooking the bacon in there, then make the sandwich.

Apparently you can, but we haven't tried it yet.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey, can you make S'mores in the bag?

Thats going to be one of our next experiments, I think.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I ordered a couple of sets by phone as per Rachel's suggestion, so i'm getting six bags for the price of 4...a little something for the boys' xmas stockings. I had apparently called during some kind of tv promo, and I also got free coffee.

Jim

Wow...you can make coffee in the bags, too?

:laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I ordered a couple of sets by phone as per Rachel's suggestion, so i'm getting six bags for the price of 4...a little something for the boys' xmas stockings. I had apparently called during some kind of tv promo, and I also got free coffee.

Jim

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, he also owns Mr. Coffee Bean, an internet discount retailer of all kinds of fresh roasted coffee. He'll also sell you green beans, if you're into home coffee roasting.

He's supposed to be sending me a price sheet on the green beans, but his regular prices for roast coffee are on his site.

He roasts to order, so its pretty fresh stuff.

Has anyone tried wrapping a grilled cheese (or pizza, or s'mores) in aluminum foil then inserting into the toaster? The foil bag would be pretty hot to handle, but I'm wondering if the bread wouldn't toast better.

I'm out of foil, or I'd try it.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

DON'T !!!!!!!!!!

Remember sticking a fork in a toaster?  Well, wouldn't foil conduct, too?  Just a bit concerned with electric appliances.

Oh. That's right.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Has anyone tried wrapping a grilled cheese (or pizza, or s'mores) in aluminum foil then inserting into the toaster? The foil bag would be pretty hot to handle, but I'm wondering if the bread wouldn't toast better.

I'm out of foil, or I'd try it.

Once again, as Maggie tends to do in the e-gullet writing competitions, she has encouraged our members to live on the edge, push the limit, straddle the line!

Or, she works for Allstate, looking for claims! :laugh:

Or, she works for Allstate, looking for claims!  :laugh:

Actually, that would be my sister-in-law.

(New Smackdown Topic tomorrow. Live on the edge, straddle the fire!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Today, we made garlic bread toaster paninis.

i872.jpg

i873.jpg

This is ham and cheese between two slices of garlic bread.

To make the garlic bread, we minced garlic and added olive oil, finely grated parmesan cheese, and dried oregano and basil with a bit of black pepper and red chile flakes. The mixture was spread over the exterior sides of the sandwich and the fillings were placed in the middle. Then the entire sandwich is put in the toast-n-serve bags to toast up.

This works well with Ham and Swiss as well as Rare Roast Beef and Provolone, Thin sliced mozzarella or Swiss. I suppose this would work equally well with various salamis and such.

Next project is toaster cubans. But we need to find the right bread.

Damn, you guys could have saved a heap of time and money if you had just bought a couple of magic bags and a $7 toaster instead of redoing your whole kitchen.

Seriously.

We're also going to attempt to make S'MORES sandwiches in this shortly using slabs of graham cracker or slices of pound cake, marshmallows and Hershey bars.

How is a slab of graham cracker different than, say...  a graham cracker?

You may have covered this already, but how hot is the bag coming out?

It comes out hot enough to burn your hands. So you have to let it cool for about a minute. I lift the bags out of the toaster with a butterknife using the pre-made lift notches in the top of the bags.

The black Teflon is able to concentrate INTENSE amounts of heat on the inside of those bags. They are at least as hot as a professional panini machine gets. They get up to several hundred degrees inside really quickly.