• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

FYI, King Arthur Flour's Baker's Catalog sells something that seems to be similar here I can't vouch for their source, but after reading through all 13 pages of this thread, I can tell you I want nothing more than a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup for lunch! :biggrin:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

FYI, King Arthur Flour's Baker's Catalog sells something that seems to be similar here I can't vouch for their source, but after reading through all 13 pages of this thread, I can tell you I want nothing more than a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup for lunch! :biggrin:

There are a number of similar products on the market now, with various names. If you search on "Toaster Bags" in google, you'll find a whole bunch of them. They all are pretty much the same, made out of Teflon. Some are clear, some are colored. Would be interesting to compare several versions of these.

However, as far as I can tell, only Toast-N-Serve itself carries the "Magic Wrap" and the Magic Liner. We now use the Magic Liner even more often than the bags.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

JIC you have problems with the above link, as I did, it is item #4128 in the Bakers Catalogue.

• 1 year later...

I got some of these at a cheese festival as a promo item from a particular brand of cheese and they are fab! I wouldn't have bought them myself but once these wear out I'm getting some more. I've cooked bacon in them and baked beans, you can even reheat soup if you're careful.

fab!

Just found this review of toaster bags, which doesn't quell my interest in acquiring a good set:

"GH Institute Product Tests Toaster Bags

A new type of product, called a toaster bag, promises a lot: Drop two slices of bread and cheese in these nonstick bags, toss in the toaster or toaster oven...and before you know it -- a mouthwatering grilled cheese sandwich, quickly, cleanly and conveniently.To see if this new cooking product lives up to its claim, the Good Housekeeping Institute tested out two brands: Toast-Its and Toastabags.

The results? The bags failed to deliver great-tasting dishes. When the outside of the grilled cheese sandwiches were buttered, the bread turned soggy. When bacon was tossed in the bag, none turned out crisp, and some came out still raw. French toast was another disaster because the bread cooked unevenly, and the egg mixture dripped to the bottom of the bag.

The GH Institute's biggest concern? On occasion, the bags didn't remain centered in the oven and came in direct contact with a heating element, posing a fire hazard.

The manufacturers' response? Toastabags says it doesn't recommend cooking foods that produce liquids, while Toast-It says that "melted fat from bacon or the egg mixture that collects at the bottom of the bag" helps to "reduce cleanup." Toast-It also says that its Teflon bags cannot catch fire and, in any case, should be "kept away from the heating elements."

The bags failed to deliver great-tasting dishes. When the outside of the grilled cheese sandwiches were buttered, the bread turned soggy. When bacon was tossed in the bag, none turned out crisp, and some came out still raw.

:angry::angry: YOU"RE SUPPOSED TO TURN THE TOASTER ON !!!! :angry::angry:

Ok....never saw this thread before and I'm truly fascinated. These would be so perfect for work..... just pack up a sandwich and have a hot gooey melty lunch for cold blustery wintery days. How perfect. And obviously they DO work, as demonstrated by the Perlows. :smile:

One question though..... now that you've all had them a few years.... do you find the teflon coating is flaking or peeling off? I mean, if it comes off your skillets, etc. over time, wouldn't it more easily come off these malleable bags? Apparently I'm supposed to be limiting my teflon consumption. And do they still work and conduct heat the same after a couple of years?

Oh, ok, one more question. It would appear that the website http://www.toast-n-serve.com only sells the wraps, not the bags any more. Is that the only place to but them???

One question though..... now that you've all had them a few years.... do you find the teflon coating is flaking or peeling off? I mean, if it comes off your skillets, etc. over time, wouldn't it more easily come off these malleable bags? Apparently I'm supposed to be limiting my teflon consumption. And do they still work and conduct heat the same after a couple of years?

They still work. They get scratched up a bit but they still work fine.

Oh, ok, one more question. It would appear that the website http://www.toast-n-serve.com only sells the wraps, not the bags any more. Is that the only place to but them???

There are other companies that make them now.

Toaster Bags on Amazon

Toaster Bags (Froogle)

The Toast-N-Serve wraps are thicker and more rugged, however.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I bought two different brands at the "As Seen On TV" store in the Palmdale mall.

I was less than impressed. I tried them in my Dualit and in my old GE auto toaster oven and in a new DeLonghi DTT980 (bought because of its unusual design).

I had poor results in all of them with both types of bag.

The original bags may work better than the knock-offs but I never got around to ordering them and probably won't bother at this time.

My Dualit has sandwich cages which works fine and the drip tray is fairly easy to clean so I will stick with that for now.

I am sure that there will be better products coming along, particularly since the problems with Teflon have been so much in the news of late.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

a new DeLonghi DTT980 (bought because of its unusual design).

DeLonghi makes really beautiful designs, don't they? I've been hard pressed to buy any of their appliances for fear they'd actually be as cheap and crappy as any old $7 toaster, but I did buy their portable space heater. It is GORGEOUS! And I'm glad to report 2 years in it's still going strong.... (fingers crossed)

About the bags..... I didn't manage to locate them on amazon.ca or any other canadian sites yet so I think I'll have to take a pass on this one. Knowing shipping, taxes, incorrect and unlawfully charged exchange rates and canadian DUTY tax (Interstingly duty is also a euphamism for SHIT) I've noticed prices end up usually quadrupling by the time the item ends up at my house if I buy from the states. So, all in all, I don't think these are worth $60 - $70 to me. I thought they'd be handy for work because there's a toaster there, but it's not that important. I don't have a toaster at home; just use the oven for toast. Not a toaster oven, just the plain old oven. :smile:

Edited by Sugarella (log)

I've just opened this month's copy of Sainsbury's Magazine + found a recipe for dark chocolate, banana + marshmallow brioche toasted sandwiches. The recipe notes "can also be made with slices of panettone". The first thing I thought of was this thread!

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

• 3 months later...

Solutions catalog.

Has the toaster bags

These are different from the kind I found at the As Seen on TV store which didn't work so well.

I ordered some to try. These have a higher temp resistance.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Solutions catalog.

Has the toaster bags

These are different from the kind I found at the As Seen on TV store which didn't work so well.

I ordered some to try.  These have a higher temp resistance.

I noticed the ones you ordered are only reusable up to 10 times. :sad:

I'm currently looking for the original black Toastabag. 300 time usage

I'm currently looking for the original black Toastabag.  300 time usage

I don't have them, but I did find www.toastabags.com. You can order them there, and also watch 'toastabags-- the movie'! (honest!)

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

• 9 months later...

I thought I would bump this discussion back up having seen this Sunbeam 7530 Rocket Grill Electric Grilling Appliance on Amazon.

From the product description is sounds like a vertical George Foreman grill or a glorified toaster. Of course, you have to buy the disposable parchment bags to hold the food in order to use the appliance.

Obviously they haven't heard of Toast-N-Serve bags!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver