• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

the so-called 'cuban burger' at la isla in hoboken.  made of spiced pork, beef and chorizo, and topped with chopped raw red onion and tiny potato sticks, it was tasty but perhaps too unique for the club's purposes.

Ahh, La Isla :wub: I ate there hundreds of times in my years in Hoboken. It's one of the few places I love that has actually improved over the years. This cuban burger sounds delicious.

I'm very sorry to have missed last night's festivities too. When's the next meeting?

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I'm a tough grader it seems when it comes to burgers if not so with candy. The burger itself was really ok, with a good broil char flavor outside and good meat taste inside. Greasy rather than juicy which is a negative for me. Eh bun, but that's not the burger, is it? Good value at $4.50, but I had two of them. Great beer value. Fries nothing special. Interesting place. Wouldn't have guessed that a spot like that exists in the Parker M. Great music. I like my burger on a plate and a fork for my fries, but this is a picnic lodge inside a fancy hotel.

Now as to the candy. Yes it was intense. Sort of like a super salt and pepper fizzy tablet. No reason for me to have eaten it. But it wasn't as disgusting as black liquourice. Just call me 'he who doesn't spit' or 'he who eats annything.' Freak works too. Susan, did HWOE taste one of them?

Glad we finished in time to catch the tail end of the total part of the lunar eclipse. Good to see the club, new and old.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Last night was lots of fun. It was good to meet some new folks, and spend time with the old folks.

My burger arrived too well done. I like it rare. Ordinarily that would be a problem and I would immediately send it back, but because the burger was very juicy, it was not at all dry. Some might say that the burger was more greasy than juicy, though I don't agree. The amount of grease in the burger was appropriate.

I have been making the point that the size of PM's burgers is optimal (4 - 5 oz), especially if you eat it rare. With a 4 oz burger, the flavor is nicely balanced because of the ratio of interior meat to the surface. With a some of these giant burgers, rare essentially results in an encased steak tartare.

I am not going to even try to defend myself for providing that horrible, horrible candy. :raz: And not that I'm blaming my victims, but you all popped them into your mouths even after you figured out why I did not say anything about their, um, flavor(?). :laugh: Hey, not everything we eat is a "gourmet tapdance." And mhesse: yes, HWOE had the exact same reaction. The funny thing was that I got them because they sounded like something he'd LOVE. The GOOD news is that that whole line of candy might not even be available in the NYC area. :wacko: So no one will be faced with the prospect of eating them unawares.

As for the total BC experience: once again, it was great. The burger was the best of the 3 so far, even if it was still far from perfect. (elyse, I thought it was much more manageable than ToJ; w/o fries, just the right size to finish.) The place and staff were a hoot (in the counterman's defense, he threw the burger and fries in good humor, not the way some waiters slam the food down in front of you nastily). The eclectic music was most interesting. :cool: And as always, the BC members made the event tons of fun. We had to split up into 2 booths of 5, with 1 or 2 newcomers at each table. We had bloviatrix who, although she could not partake of the food, made excellent contributions to the discussion. I only wish we'd done a "Chinese fire drill" sometime in the middle, so that we all could have chatted with the newbies. Chatting with Felonius and the-lurker-who-remains-unnamed berore and after whetted my appetite to talk with them more. :biggrin:

A couple of observations: we have GOT to try Landmark Tavern (11th Ave and 45th Street). I stopped in on my way uptown from the Javits, and man, that burger AND ROLL looked good. :wub: And my personal epiphany, confirmed by others: it has been a lousy idea to order a burger black and blue -- it can NEVER develop the best layer of char, and while it won't cool off during the eating, it's really too cold to properly determine juiciness.

IIRC, the next meating is tentatively planned for the Tuesday evening before Thanksgiving, so that Tarka can join us.

From here on in, anyone calling the burger place at ther Parker Meridian will be called an idiot by me personally. And trust me, I really cleaned up my language for that one, cause I like you all.

KirkL found out the name of the place last night. The name of the place is no longer debatable. It is called The Last Place, was it? Kirk, we need a report. I will also accept the Parker Meridian. Not Burger Joint. Don't be an idiot.

It was great to meet some folks for the first time, JosephB and his friend, Felonious and Lurker. I look forward to seeing you all again!

It's funny. He was talking about all our inventive screen names :wacko: . Maybe he should be Lurker.... Lurker? You there?

I will also say right now, that the candy is in every way my fault. I coaxed Suzanne into asking the guy at the latin food show to give her a pack, if I didn't actuallly ask him myself. She told me that HWOE thought they were horrible, and asked her to bring them to the last meeting. She forgot. I reminded her several times this time (how bad could they be?) and she came through. For THIS I am an idiot. Sue me.

And my personal epiphany, confirmed by others: it has been a lousy idea to order a burger black and blue -- it can NEVER develop the best layer of char, and while it won't cool off during the eating, it's really too cold to properly determine juiciness.

Maybe, just maybe there's a way to get that perfect black and blue burger.

:raz::laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

As for the total BC experience: once again, it was great. The burger was the best of the 3 so far, even if it was still far from perfect. (elyse, I thought it was much more manageable than ToJ; w/o fries, just the right size to finish.)

Now, my burger cooked properly at Jane was more than managable. Are you talking about it falling apart, or the fullness of your tummy? If it was the falling apart issue, it's because your burger was whisper heated. Mine was charred and encased. :raz:

The place and staff were a hoot (in the counterman's defense, he threw the burger and fries in good humor, not the way some waiters slam the food down in front of you nastily).

Yes, the guy was throwing food in the best of humour. Even the lady who picked her fries up off the floor was laughing. Then he joked about throwing her shake. Or was that one of us? :biggrin:

We had bloviatrix who, although she could not partake of the food, made excellent contributions to the discussion. I only wish we'd done a "Chinese fire drill" sometime in the middle, so that we all could have chatted with the newbies.

bloviatrix, I DO apologize for not mentioning you. I feel awful. Maybe because you showed up into the meal after all my introductions had been made several times? Oops. You can be our next honorary guest. But you still have to find a Kosher place. Yes folks, I'm going to eat a plain old hamburger. Get that!

A couple of observations: we have GOT to try Landmark Tavern (11th Ave and 45th Street). I stopped in on my way uptown from the Javits, and man, that burger AND ROLL looked good.  :wub: 

IIRC, the next meating is tentatively planned for the Tuesday evening before Thanksgiving, so that Tarka can join us.

Landmark is my pick! That's been my favorite consistent burger in the city for a while. They do NOT serve them at night, so beware. It may even be one of my four faves ever. What's IIRC? Tuesday evening before Thanksgiving is the next meeting. Tarka will be here +2? Now, we need to pick a special place so her one Original BC meeting isn't a bust. Now that can't be Landmark because they don't do burgers at night.... Any serious suggestions? Let me call them, actually, and find out how late they serve burgers. If I can get the pies out to Bloomfield before the grill turns over, that may be a good idea.

KirkL found out the name of the place last night.  The name of the place is no longer debatable.  It is called The Last Place, was it?  Kirk, we need a report.  I will also accept the Parker Meridian.  Not Burger Joint.  Don't be an idiot.

Actually, the counter-lad said the place is nameless. "The Last Place" was his name for the...ammm... establishment (nearly said "joint" oops). I say we should name it, I vote for "L'Hamburger Caché".

As to my thoughts on the burger, it was my fav so far. A nice managable hunk of comfort burger, more juicy than greasy IMHO, and very beefy. Food service fries, but at least they were crispy and I did enjoy that they came in a paper bag. Pickle-in-a-cup was interesting only due to its presentation. I liked the place as well, the tipsy kitchen, the excellent, wacky music mix and as always, the good company.

The dessert. Horrible indeed. I would however call MHesse an optimist rather than a masochist. I applaud his belief that there must be some little bit of enjoyment hidden in the middle of that insidious little ball of vileness. How sad then, when he reported there was none to be found.

Looking forward to our next outing!

K.

I would however call MHesse an optimist rather than a masochist. I applaud his belief that there must be some little bit of enjoyment hidden in the middle of that insidious little ball of vileness.

Like the old, old joke about the kid who's thrilled to get a huge container of manure, because "There must be a pony in there somewhere."

IIRC: if I recall correctly. Is that thread translating all those acronyms still around, did it pass away with OT, or am I confusing this with another site?

"Truque Stoppe" -- :wub::wub::wub:

Tuesday evening before Thanksgiving is the next meeting. Tarka will be here +2? Now, we need to pick a special place so her one Original BC meeting isn't a bust. Now that can't be Landmark because they don't do burgers at night.... Any serious suggestions? Let me call them, actually, and find out how late they serve burgers. If I can get the pies out to Bloomfield before the grill turns over, that may be a good idea.

You know, I've been very happy in the past with L'Express on Park South and 20th. It's also a lively, fun place in a fun area for out-of-towners. Blue Smoke is also nearby, but we'd be too tempted to eat the ribs. BTW, as you may know, L'Express is owned by the samer folks who own Steak Frites, French Roast, Nice Matin, and a few others. What is the time for the next meeting?

What is the time for the next meeting?

i vote for 7 or later, so i have at least a fighting chance of making it. don't want to miss 2 in a row!

btw, are there any great burgers to be found in the vicinity of Grand Central? i'm going to be attending a seminar later this week and would love to get in a good burger, but i won't have a lot of time so i need somewhere close to the hotel (42nd & lex). any suggestions are welcome. thanks!

pnapoli: check out Burger Heaven at 291 Madison (between 41st and 42nd). I had a pretty good burger recently at another of their locations (mentioned somewhere above). VERY beefy, good size. Broiled, not grilled though :sad: Decent but not great fries. Leaf lettuce, not iceberg. :smile: A variety of cheeses. You have to ask for things like pickle, relish, lettuce and tomato, but they are available.

btw, are there any great burgers to be found in the vicinity of Grand Central? i'm going to be attending a seminar later this week and would love to get in a good burger, but i won't have a lot of time so i need somewhere close to the hotel (42nd & lex). any suggestions are welcome. thanks!

Cafe Centro in the Met Life building. actually, their burger isn't served on a bun unless you ask. the Beer Bar, which is attached to it, and is a bit less expensive and probably quicker, does have a bun. they serve a fine burger, and it's right there. and if you like a glass of wine with your burger, they have some reasonable selections.

iirc, the burger at django, on lex at 46th, was very good. however, they've revamped the place since my last visit, so i'm not sure if they're serving burgers (although the revamping included making the downstairs dining room a "bar" area, so that might be a good sign).

Michael Jordan's in Grand Central is an option as well. i've never had their burger, but people speak highly of it.

depending on time and your desire to take a 2 minute cab ride, molly's and blue smoke are certainly doable.

Tuesday evening before Thanksgiving is the next meeting.  Tarka will be here +2?  Now, we need to pick a special place so her one Original BC meeting isn't a bust.  Now that can't be Landmark because they don't do burgers at night....  Any serious suggestions?  Let me call them, actually, and find out how late they serve burgers.  If I can get the pies out to Bloomfield before the grill turns over, that may be a good idea.

You know, I've been very happy in the past with L'Express on Park South and 20th. It's also a lively, fun place in a fun area for out-of-towners. Blue Smoke is also nearby, but we'd be too tempted to eat the ribs. BTW, as you may know, L'Express is owned by the samer folks who own Steak Frites, French Roast, Nice Matin, and a few others. What is the time for the next meeting?

Those places not being on the list makes me think - no. Blue Smoke is a possibility. Affordable? Ribs? Have em for desert.

What is the time for the next meeting?

i vote for 7 or later, so i have at least a fighting chance of making it. don't want to miss 2 in a row!

Done. Place still to be determined.

7pm, Tuesday the 25th.

Odd question. People are asking me about pies and pao de queijo for Thanksgiving. Anyone interested?

We discussed irreproducible results at our booth during Burger Club last night. Alas I had just thrown away the food issue during my drastic room clean up during the previous week. Fortunately , the Annals of Improbable Research are still extant. Here's their website. You can sign up for an electronic newsletter.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

thanks suzanne & tommy!

Done. Place still to be determined.

7pm, Tuesday the 25th.

Odd question. People are asking me about pies and pao de queijo for Thanksgiving. Anyone interested?

thanks elyse! and please put me down for a pecan pie--what a great idea.