• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

How's about a burgertini?

3 oz. chilled gin (or vodka for communists)

Hint of dry vermouth

Splash of burger juice

Garnished with two pickles and/or cocktail onions

Ok Ok - you have had your fun - lets step back and think about this - burger juice !

Well I guess I would try it :wacko:

i've noticed this place several times and wondered about it.

hmm, great burgers and chocolate, you say?  this could be the beginning of a BC tradition... :smile:  have you sampled the chocolates?

I did take home a bag of the chocolates. They were pretty good, if I remember correctly. I especially liked a spicy version that had a nice chili bite to it.

Lots of competition on the chocolate scene in NYC these days it seems. I'm a big fan of Payard's chocolates, and recently was given a box of chocolates from a place called "Marie Belle" that were also fantastic. But those are topics for another thread.

The thought of burgers and chocolate is making me hungry. I'm going to make another pilgrimmage down to the Lunchbox place and give it a second try soon.

Edited by Felonius (log)

i've noticed this place several times and wondered about it.

hmm, great burgers and chocolate, you say?  this could be the beginning of a BC tradition... :smile:  have you sampled the chocolates?

I did take home a bag of the chocolates. They were pretty good, if I remember correctly. I especially liked a spicy version that had a nice chili bite to it.

Lots of competition on the chocolate scene in NYC these days it seems. I'm a big fan of Payard's chocolates, and recently was given a box of chocolates from a place called "Marie Belle" that were also fantastic. But those are topics for another thread.

The thought of burgers and chocolate is making me hungry. I'm going to make another pilgrimmage down to the Lunchbox place and give it a second try soon.

Hmm, how about a chocolate cheeseburger?

Inspired by Burger Club, I dragged my husband to RARE last night, which is on 37th & Lex, in the Drake Hotel.

The burgers were OK, although didn't hold a candle to Molly's. Thick patties, small circumference, served on a brioche, with sour dill pickles, lettuce & tomato. They had lots of variations on the "RARE classic": mexican burger w/ black bean spread, fried egg toppings, seafood burger with crab and shrimp. My husband tried the salmon burger, which thankfully was not ground salmon shaped into a patty -- rather, it was a full salmon filet, topped with toasted sesame seeds and wasabi sauce -- I tried it, and it was good. He liked it too.

Oddity: the menu also included a "frickle" -- a deep-fried pickle. I thought of the eG deep-fried Twinkie thread.

Highlight: a kick-ass key lime martini!

Lowlight: The french fry sampler was surprisingly disappointing. Three different kinds of fries, three different kinds of dips, all overspiced and kind of tasteless. Too bad, as it sounded great on the menu.

Edit: I forgot to mention one other noteworthy: they have a truffleburger on the menu, priced at $22.

Edited by alacarte (log)

Hey, what's wrong? This is the first post of the day here. :shock:

Today in Midtown I ate at Burger Heaven on 53rd street. Someone must have mentioned this chain already :unsure: Anyway, the burger itself was better than either Molly's or ToJ: just plain tastier meat, really really BEEFY :wub: Proper proportion of juice to grease. Not too huge, not too small, just right in size. Broiled in a salamander, so no real char :sad: although they don't seem to clean the surface on which they place the burger, so there were some black flakes of flavor anyway. :raz: Cannot get it black and blue, because of the cooking method, but "rare" was just fine. With carryover, by the time I finished, it was getting closer to medium-rare. Still juicy and tasty. Boring bun, but nicely toasted. You have to ask for pickles, onion, and their "famous red relish." I did not. And you gotta pay extra for lettuce and tomato (but not for cooked onions; go figure). A customer down at the end of the counter was bitching that they didn't have iceberg lettuce, only leaf. :rolleyes:

The cheddar was excellent, the bacon okay although not enough (only 2 strips). The fries :sad: well, it's good we don't factor in the fries. Not majorly bad, just eh. At least everything came HOT, right from cooking and plating. And the server was very efficient and sweet.

No, I did NOT poke the burger with a thermometer, nor did I fill out the form. :raz:

Edited to add a link to menu with locations (PDF file).

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Took another burger research field trip today at J.G. Mellon's. Hadn't been there in over a year and wondered if the burger was as good as I remembered.

It wasn't. Scratch that off the list.

Will try Lunchbox Food Co. next week. I still think Fairway is worth a visit from BC at some point.

Felonius,

How was your experience with the service at Rare? The two times I have gone it was horrid. My burger was ok both times, good quality meat, smallish in portion though. I'd put PJ Clarks on your list too, I recently went there and the meat was fabulous.

Msk

Felonius,

How was your experience with the service at Rare?  The two times I have gone it was horrid.  My burger was ok both times, good quality meat, smallish in portion though.  I'd put PJ Clarks on your list too, I recently went there and the meat was fabulous.

Msk

I've never been to Rare, or PJ Clarke's.

I'd put PJ Clarks on your list too, I recently went there and the meat was fabulous.

Msk

I think when all is said and done, the Club will deem Clarke's burger the best in the land. BTW, greetings from Palermo.

Inspired by Burger Club, I dragged my husband to RARE last night, which is on 37th & Lex, in the Drake Hotel.

Edit:  I forgot to mention one other noteworthy:  they have a truffleburger on the menu, priced at $22.

Kara,

Yesterday in Alba the going rate for truffles was EUR 4,000! What are they putting those burgers?

As mentioned previously, the burger pictures on this thread enticed me to opt out of healthy lunch and go burger hunting today.  Paid my first visit to Mitchel London's place at Fairway on 75th and Bway.  I had a cheeseburger (cheddar), rare, with fries for $8.  An excellent burger IMHOP.

I'm glad to hear about your positive experience at Fairway. My last burger there was off, but otherwise I've always found the meat to be particularly good.

Joe, remember we have a tentative date for a weekday burger at City Hall when you get back (after 11/6, right?). We'll work it out publicly, so anyone else who's interested can join us.

Just had an idea: Since Le Zinc (whose burger I know and love) is just up the block from City Hall, maybe we can coordinate ordering at each place and meet on the street between the two? :unsure::unsure::hmmm: Well, then again maybe not. :raz:

Any good burgers on Sicily?

Hmm, how about a chocolate cheeseburger?

I was just watching Roker on the Road on the Food Network and I saw a woman make and eat a hamburger cupcake.

Her name is Clare Crespo and she likes to play with her food.

No hamburger cupcakes; but there's sushi cake, jello aquarium, monkey pops and some other stuff on her cute web site.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

As of this very minute, I am, yes, planning to attend the next outing. Mmm. Hamburgers.

and whoops--I TOTALLY spaced and forgot I had offered to keep the list of location suggestions updated. So, with the approval of our Fearless Beef Leader, I'll put the list on my computer. If you want to add to it, email me, and I'll post the updates once a week.

K?

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous