• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy Help

bilrus

How could I have forgot the scalded milk. That was my ex MIL's standard. And a good standard it was, too.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just found this thread. sigh. Our favorite diner in Wilmington . . . VERMONT :shock: does a great "Sausage Gravy Biscuit." I suspect that they might actually add a bit of cream to the gravy. In any case, it's one of those things I'll have once a year when we're up there, and dream about all the rest of the year. :wub:

Maggie, maggie, maggie--you are missing one of the good things of life.  Biscuits, gravy, and a big dollop scrambled eggs--heaven.

Sad, isn't it?

I have it on good authority that she's never had grits, either. We're gonna fix this when she gets to North Carolina in October.

I intend to hold you to that, Archie.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Anyone have any ideas or places they can point me?

Late to the party, but wanted to add: Scald yer milk foist before adding to the roux :smile:

What's the point of scalding milk? I thought that was an unnecessary step these days (it is according to Christopher Kimball). :huh:

Sherri A. Jackson

Whaddaya think polenta is... Hmmm???

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Whisper to maggie:  grits is nasty.  Breakfast grits, cheese grits, garlic grits, all of them--nasty.  Try to avoid them.

I'm with you. Grits are gross. My thinking is, if you have to flavor something so much in order to enjoy it, why not just eat whatever it is you're flavoring it with? I'd much rather have a hunk of cheese than a hunk of cheese that has been rendered bland by being added to a bunch of grits.

Sherri A. Jackson

Whisper to maggie:  grits is nasty.  Breakfast grits, cheese grits, garlic grits, all of them--nasty.  Try to avoid them.

Heretic.

Maggie, we should go to Crooks Corner in Chapel Hill and get you some Shrimp and Grits. Mmmmmmmm.

Sounds good.

(Sparrow: Thanks for the advice, Girlfriend. But I'll try anything once!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

What's the point of scalding milk?  I thought that was an unnecessary step these days (it is according to Christopher Kimball). :huh:

Apparently, so's wearing a slip under your dress to church these days, shug, but some things are still considered a matter of good form rather than necessity.

Edited by jess mebane (log)

What's the point of scalding milk?  I thought that was an unnecessary step these days (it is according to Christopher Kimball). :huh:

No offense intended towards our Northern readers, but why in the world would you take gravy making advice from a Yankee??

Likewise, I would take advice on making New England Clam Chowder from a Mississippian with an equal grain of salt.

What's the point of scalding milk?  I thought that was an unnecessary step these days (it is according to Christopher Kimball).   :huh:

Apparently, so's wearing a slip under your dress to church these days, shug, but some things are still considered a matter of good form rather than necessity.

Aaaamen, Jess. My ex-MIL always scalded her milk, especially for the morning coffee. It has a different taste. She would have no more used un-scalded milk for gravy than she would have gone to church without a slip! :laugh:

Whole milk is absolutely necessary. None of that "blue John" which is what my mother called the skimmed milk stuff. I come from a long line of white gravy makers.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Whole milk is absolutely necessary. None of that "blue John" which is what my mother called the skimmed milk stuff. I come from a long line of white gravy makers.

Any idea of the derivation of "blue John?"

Milk with the cream seperated out has a bluish hue, hence the name.

I've never bought skim milk, but I imagine that it's 'corrected' before being put into the carton these days.

Any idea of the derivation of "blue John?"

Milk with the cream seperated out has a bluish hue, hence the name.

I've never bought skim milk, but I imagine that it's 'corrected' before being put into the carton these days.

And the "John" part?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

And the "John" part?

I dunno. I have been looking. I knew about the blue part. My sister can't remember where the "John" came from. We are calling around. These pieces of information are critical to the survival of civilization.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Anyone else develop an affinity for SOS while in the military?

As far as this Marine goes...a most emphatic NO! GACK! But the OTHER and ALmost Marines in the family adore it. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Sparrowgrass ~ ExACTly how I learned to make it! I can only add the two words my late, darling father-in-law kept repeating, when I was learning how to make it at his side:

Keep Stirring...

Smooth as silk, every time. :biggrin:

What's the point of scalding milk?  I thought that was an unnecessary step these days (it is according to Christopher Kimball).   :huh:

Just had to say it:

Jess: You are so, so funny. Splat. Snort. Spit.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Holly had to go and most that picture and get my mouth watering while sitting at my desk.

And the only plce I could go right now to get this is Bob Evans.  :raz: I think I'll wait until I get home.

Waffle King Virginia Kitchen in Herndon serves breakfast as long as they're open (I think it's until 3 or 3:30pm). Their gravy is a lot closer to homemade than Bob Evans. And, they don't put sugar in the biscuits.

Whatever you do, though, don't EVER order b&g at Amphora. I'm not sure if they didn't realize what it was supposed to look/taste like, or if they tried to Greekify it. Either way, it was nasty. :blink:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Just had to say it:

Jess: You are so, so funny. Splat. Snort. Spit.

why, thank you Magali. :smile: The poor kid couldn't possibly have known that Kimball is too much of a hussy to wear undergarments in the lord's house.

Re:SOS The person cooking SOS in the service makes all the difference. When I was called to active duty in the Berlin crises I was one of 2 1st cooks. When I made it(as taught by my mother) we never had any left and I had one soldier who took two trays, put 3 slices of toast on each and had me fill them as full as I could without spilling. When the other shift made it we had to throw a third of it away. Same people eating in the same mess hall. Biscuits and gravy is still one of my faves and I now have to put it on the menu at home in the next day or two thanks to this thread.

colestove