• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish Identification help requested

Hi

I frequent this asian grocery store that has traditional food dishes for takeout. I would like to make these at home and have better control of the recipe and the sodium, but I need to find out what they are first. I included a photo of my first target. It is a spicy dish. but I do not think it is three-pepper chicken because the chicken is not fried and has a saucy texture. When I google three pepper chicken it seems dryer. Anyways the peppers are definitely green, red, and jalapeño. There is also onion in the dish. Any ideas? 

I did not get a good shot of it but I am also interested in the tofu dish in the top right corner. I will get a better shot next time I go. 

Any help is much appreciated.  

Screenshot at Jan 05 09-28-44.png

It looks like 青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn), pork with green chillies, but without tasting it, or a description of the flavours, I can't be sure.

Are you sure it's chicken? It doesn't look like chicken.

Why do you think the meat isn't fried? It looks fried to me. Most dishes like this are fried.

If it has jalapeño peppers, it's probably American-Chinese. Jalapeño peppers are very rarely found in China.

Three pepper chicken only has two chilli peppers in it. The third is Sichuan peppercorns, which aren't true peppers.

Can you ask somone in the store what it is in English? Or ask them to  write it down in Chinese and then show me.

This here is 青椒肉片. Looks similar to your dish but without the onions in this one, although it can.

56e2b9cd76e03_donkeywithgreenpeppers.jpg.2b21f82f6bb7c61617ce7cb75c49d43c.jpg.51d87dd0f7b711d87b9bbbd5c395151e.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks for the clarification.... 

I have asked a few times and I cannot get a straight answer. The cafe is usually very busy and they are trying to move customers through at a quick pace. When I pointed to this dish they just say spicy chicken. That the most I can get out of them. 

When I say not fried that is probably not the best term. When I google three pepper chicken I get images like the one below where the chicken seems coated/breaded and deep fried. In this dish, I would describe it as wetter, when served with rice you can see the sauce on the rice.  I am  very crude with my food language so I could not even begin to describe the flavor profile.

I will ask them to write down the name of the dish in Chinese next time I go.

Screenshot at Jan 05 15-53-39.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, C00kman said:

When I google three pepper chicken I get images like the one below where the chicken seems coated/breaded and deep fried.

That is definitely an American-Chinese technique. In 28 years, I have never seen chicken cooked that way in China.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto