• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasting Poison Food by Ugo Furst

For Ugo:

You had a dangerous job fer sure... To quote the prophetic Meatloaf, "I will do anything for love, but I won't do that..." Of everything you had to taste for the royal court was there something you ever balked at and refused?

For Peter:

I remember you in The Times Square Two from the Smothers Brothers.... Although that would seem to make me 97, I am in fact just 45....

You have definitely whetted my appetite for The Food Taster... I am gonna see if the local Barnes & Noble has it this morning (if not I'll cause a scene and demand they order it forthwith)... Have the movie rights been secured? It seems like a natural....

Im very flattered that you remember me from the Times

Square Two. I barely remember them myself. As for your

age, you cant be any older than I am and I havent hit

thirty yet. Regarding the movie rights, there has been a

lot of talk...and I'm doing most of it. Bah boomp bom! But

seriously folks... there is talk but its still in the early

stages.

Another question has been asked about which foods Ugo

refused to eat or what was the worst food he ever ate.

Rather than have him repeat himself, look at that one.

Better yet read the book. You should be able to

get it everywhere.

Indeed, I picked the book up this morning. Barnes & Noble in Danbury, CT...shame on them... :hmmm: didn't have it in stock (probably because it flew off the shelves....) but Waldenbooks at The Danbury Fair Mall had 3 copies, they now have 2 available...

Tomorrow night I am going to make the Chicken with Diced Lemons...

Glad I read The Da Vinci Code this summer...to prepare me for this tome. :cool:

Peter:

All I can say is Wow! I bought The Food Taster yesterday, and with the rain and all decided to spend a quiet night in with it. I am up to page 174... this is a GREAT read!

You truly capture the feeling of living in an Italian royal court. The characters are engrossing and the plot has a nice labyrinth of twists alternating between laugh out loud funny and horrifying pain... nicely surprising. Also, enjoyed your little observations of life such as if you go to a city with a gate, and the gate has a guard, then the guard is bound to be stupid. :smile:

Don't want to spoil this for others who may read it, so pardon my crypticness, but kudos to you for a particular section in the book where a certain person discusses his faux "royal" lineage in such a manner that it turns out to be a little joke within a joke within a joke... :laugh:

Can't wait to find out the ending! Definitely movie material! :wub:

Edited by TrishCT (log)