• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fun bars around and south of Pt. Pleasant

tommy

i'm planning a 2 day trip to Point Pleasant, and down to the Seaside area. it's been so long since i've been down there that i forget all of the bars, and don't know if some of those are even still there.

aside from jenks and martells on the Point boardwalk, are there any other places in Point Beach for a beer and some fun?

i know this is a broad question, but hopefully someone will mention something and get my memory going again.

is "used to be's" still around?

A block in from the inlet, in PPB, is Broadway Bar and grill. Great chicken wings, assorted fried-type slightly -soused NJ bar food...but head and shoulders above the rest..except. perhaps, that I was slighltly soused at the time. No. really. a good way to call it a night. Known for pushing the last call , too.

ps last time I was in Seaside, I had a few !!?? beers and traded some drunk guy a million tickets for $20 bucks. All three kids came home with a mini bicycle, which was the prize du jour that year. They were working on their "beach money" to win enough tickets, and admirably set out to plan that they would pool their money and get a bike for all of them..even the little one who could harldy roll the skee ball into the 30 pointer..so that bar negotiation went a long way to helping their cause...ain't nothing like the NJ boardwalk, and though my children might travel far, I am convinced that these years rolling wooden balls and eating superior ( Marrazzo's) pizza will make thenm finer human beings...look what it did to me and Tommy! ( porkroll at Stubby's in PPleasant every morning, goes without saying!)

Edited by Kim WB (log)

there's another place down broadway, on the way to the bridge on the right, that used to be kind of fun. i mean, i was in college at the time and singing karaoke and stuff like that, but it seemed like a really fun place. i think they've changed hands, though, and i wonder if it's still as fun as it was when i was 21. probably not. :sad:

and i wonder if it's still as fun as it was when i was 21.  probably not.  :sad:

honey, nothing is as much fun as when you were 21! :sad:

It's a long ranch style bar, I know what you mean..it changes from an Italian to an Irish name every few years...the catch is..those few hundred yards of road are PPB income producing ticket heavens! Drive carefully if you do go there!

I think its Irish now, McCann's or some such...have your last call athe B'way Bar andGrill...they have a packaged goods store to get you through the night! :laugh:

and i wonder if it's still as fun as it was when i was 21.  probably not.  :sad:

honey, nothing is as much fun as when you were 21! :sad:

aw c'mon, how much could have changed in 3 years? :raz:

but seriously, i don't think you can go wrong in seaside. any bar there is going to be amusing for one reason or another. i think you'll have a blast wherever you end up. :smile:

Head to the Seaside boardwalk at the far South end(actually Seaside Park at that point) to the Sawmill...renovated this year...cool place to hang out - usually a good crowd...bands upstairs at night...Klee's in Seaside is pretty decent as well...mostly a local crowd off-season and they also have above average food(pub-style)...and there is always Centerfolds on Rte. 35 in Neptune :wink:

A.D.S.

Sawmill used to be a really good dive bar from which you could watch some of the ugliest folks in swimwear cruising the boardwalk (Just because they make it in your size does not mean you should buy and wear it in public...). Went there last in February when they were in the middle of renovating and have not been back since. Am really worried they may have renovated the "dive" aspect out of the place. Are my fears justified? Has in been turned into a flourescent lit "Family Friendly" establishment?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I bartended at The Aztec 20 years ago. Good at happy hour, good at last call.

Don't know if it's still there though.

On 2nd thought, guess I added absolutely nothing to this topic except to show my age. I'm just trying to catch up to Tommy. :wacko:

klee's looks like my kinda place.  although their "wine list" consists of 6 chardonnays, 2 pinot grigios, and a CA sauvignon blanc.  :blink:

come on...the closer to the ocean you get, the worse the wine gets...stop at Park and Orchard on the way down for your wine fix... :raz:

A.D.S.

Bum Rodgers , just outside of Island Beach State Park is a lot of fun. Funny, no matter the season or time of day, you could always find parking. They used to make pretty decent bloody Mary's. Last one I had there was five years ago. I used to go there a lot after high school. I attended Admiral Farragut in Toms River and was often on the bay.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

On 2nd thought, guess I added absolutely nothing to this topic except to show my age. I'm just trying to catch up to Tommy. :wacko:

what were you 15 tending bar 20 years ago??? :biggrin: Aztec is very much still there, still decent for happy hour...my usual trip includes starting with a drink or two at the Sawmill(South end), and after a few dozen clams at Berkely clam bar, a cheesesteak or a white-cap, and a huge slice of pizza, I am ready for another drink at the Aztec(North end)...

A.D.S.

Sawmill used to be a really good dive bar from which you could watch some of the ugliest folks in swimwear cruising the boardwalk (Just because they make it in your size does not mean you should buy and wear it in public...).  Went there last in February when they were in the middle of renovating and have not been back since.  Am really worried they may have renovated the "dive" aspect out of the place.  Are my fears justified?  Has in been turned into a flourescent lit "Family Friendly" establishment?

nah...just a little bit nicer of a dive... :smile:

A.D.S.

what were you 15 tending bar 20 years ago??? :biggrin: Aztec is very much still there, still decent for happy hour...my usual trip includes starting with a drink or two at the Sawmill(South end), and after a few dozen clams at Berkely clam bar, a cheesesteak or a white-cap, and a huge slice of pizza, I am ready for another drink at the Aztec(North end)...

Summer of '84, 19 summers ago. Remember don't chastise your elders!!! :blink:

It's my boyish good looks , don't be jealous.

Have a condo down at PPB - and usually hit Martells and Jenks for sake of convenience on the weekends. Crowded on weekends, less so during the week, though.

Broadway (on the Boardwalk) has live banks too, but teenagers (including my son) can also venture in to listen as long as they don't saddle up to the bar.

Clarke's on Arnold Ave has a nice bar as well as decent restaurant. It won't be as crowded now as it was during July & August.

check the schedules for both Martells and Jenks at

Martells

Jenks

Look for me at the sushi bar at Martells Friday evening!

:biggrin:

Edited because I can't spell

Edited by lamb (log)

what time? i should still be around.

i forgot about clark's. that's a good call.

i see the Nerds played every thursday at jenks. i love them, and it's a shame they probably stopped this week. :sad:

Edited by tommy (log)

what time? i should still be around.

i forgot about clark's. that's a good call.

i see the Nerds played every thursday at jenks. i love them, and it's a shame they probably stopped this week. :sad:

Saw the Nerds this past Saturday. I think they are still around though on Thursday for another week or two. Too bad Jenks doesn't have their September schedule up. The bar was packed on Sat- it was raining and Martells is open air, Jenks is covered.

Crowd was *young*. Early 20's as opposed to me and my husbands mid-40's. Martells has an older crowd. The Soul Cruisers are there on Thursdays. They get the place going. Dr. Cheeko is there on Sat afternoons - good too.

Depending on how soon the kids get settled in to what they are doing - it's the Sushi bar for me around 8:30 - 9:00.

Look for the tired couple slumped over the sticky rice :raz:

DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE BARS EXCEPT FOR RODS IN SEA GIRT AND MERITAGE ON RT 34 JUST OFF THE PARKWAY EXIT HAS A NICE BAR AND A OLDER (MY AGE) CROWD. THEY ALSO HAVE A GOOD SUSHI BAR. THERE ARE SOME V GOOD RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA ALSO. HAD DINNER LAST NIGHT IN BRIELLE AT THE SHIPWRECK (NEXT TOWN OVER) IT WAS TERRIFIC. SEARED CHILEAN SEA BASS OVER SPINACH WITH CURRY OIL. KID HAD A PERFECTLY COOKED 2 1/2 LOBSTER. NICE DESSERT SELECTION BUT DID NOT HAVE ANY. I THINK CLARKS SOMETIMES HAS ENTERTAINMENT.

OH, I HEARD THE ROADHOUSE IN ASBURY IS FUN BUT HAVE NOT BEEN.

thanks for the recs.

speaking of eating, i suppose i'll want to eat. i grew up down there, and i don't think i had a good meal until i moved to hoboken. what's decent? certainly not jack baker's. i'd just as soon stay away from boardwalk food. especially off-season boardwalk food.

thanks for the recs.

speaking of eating, i suppose i'll want to eat.  i grew up down there, and i don't think i had a good meal until i moved to hoboken.  what's decent?  certainly not jack baker's.  i'd just as soon stay away from boardwalk food.  especially off-season boardwalk food.

PPB area

Tardi's - Bay off Arnold.

Forget the menu, just listen to the specials - there are plenty. BYOB

Spano's on Arnold, off Bay. BYOB (NOT the Spanos at the White Sands - it just doesn't work).

Heatwave in BayHead has a new building. Haven't been there yet, but loved the menu at their smaller digs as well as when they rented out White Sands.

Mahogony Grill in Manasquan.

Enjoy!