• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NeroW Needs Your Help

Craig Camp

It is a sad story. As related in her foodblog another young chef is destroying her palate on oak chip chardonnay. As she is in school, price is of course an issue, but we know that is not a problem. There are great wines for under $10 everywhere. As NeroW doesn't want to drop the 11 bucks on The Wine Avenger is our duty to help her (and her future customers) out by turning her on to great wines under TEN BUCKS!

What are your favorites?

Terrific idea, Craig. I'm looking forward to suggestions posted here.

And it's not simply a problem for the ineffable Nero (with whom I've spent a more than a few agreeably alcoholic evenings.) I have , er, budgetary constraints too, although I'm old enough to be Nero's (let's say) Aunt.

I'm raising, or perhaps lowering the ante here. Ten bucks! Heck, that's for a major occasion. Nero said something like: I want three bottles for eleven dollars.

What's drinkable for $3.66.? I am pretty sure that your answer will be: Um. Sorry. Nothing.

Or maybe not...

As I said, terrific thread.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Sure there are great wines under 5 bucks - but those are found in the close-out bin and take regular detective work (and some knowledge) on the part of the shopper. Top stores always seem to have interesting stuff in the close-out bin because many good wines are unknown by consumers and they don't sell well. Hard working shoppers can find incredible values this way. Of course often there is nothing but junk in the bin. If something looks good taste first (in the store or the parking lot :wink: ) and then run back in and buy as much as you can before someone else beats you to it.

Two of my regular price favorites:

Willm Pinot Blanc, Alsace about $8.00 (found it on sale once for $5)

Monte Antico, Toscano Rosso about $8.00

A couple of recent favorite in the under $10 category are:

Nobilo Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) ~$8.

Rustico Proseco (Italy) ~$9.

Borsao Primizia (Spain) ~$7

Note: Prices are from Ray's Liquor in Wauwatosa Wisconsin.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I don't think I can come up with anything at $3.66 - the closest I can come is last year when Rochambeau (Westchester County, NY) was down to $3.99 for the Borsao. But, a few under $10:

Reds:

Les Hérétiques (Andre Iché of Ch. D'Oupia) VDP de l'Hérault $6

Borsao or Viña Alarba from Spain -$4.50- $6

I'm not a huge Antinori fan, but the Santa Christina is usually quite drinkable Sangiovese for $7-8

Ditto Jaboulet's Parallele 45 - dependable (if not exciting) Côtes de Rhne. Perrin CdR is ok too.

Pepperwood Grove Syrah $7

Bonny Doon Big House Red (Ca del Solo)

Whites:

2002 Dr. Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling $10

Domane Wachau's basic GrüVe or Riesling $10

Good muscadet from Pepiere or Luneau-Papin ($8-10)

Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon $9

Our new "house wine" is CASA CASTILLO MONASTRELL 2001. It's made from old-vine Mourvedre grown in the emerging area of Jumilla in southeastern Spain. Big, dark, gutsy, with chewy flavors of black fruits, minerals and earth, it’s only $7.99 and the Wine Advocate rated it 89.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

one should be able to find a decent cote de ventoux at that price.

I'm a big fan of the 2001 Chateau Pesquie Les Terrasses from the Cotes du Ventoux. With a case discount, it is about $9 per bottle. It's structured, has great texture, full-bodied, lots of dark fruit, a little spicy, a little earthy. I think it is remarkable for its price. I bought some thinking of it as an inexpensive, drink-now type wine, but I've put some down to see how it ages over the next several years, as I think it might improve.

Also, I like the 2002 Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon from South Africa. It has a big flavour, strong dark fruit, it's a bit alcohol, mild spice. At about $9 per bottle, it is a great, inexpensive, big wine (but I don't think it has the complexity to age well).

For whites, Tiefenbrunner frequently has some very respectable Pinot Grigio that is available in the $8-11 range. Certainly much better than the Santa Margharita offering that sell at twice the price.

Knowledge is good.

Two very good fruity summer whites, both about $8:

2001 Picpoul de Pinet Coteaux de Languedoc

2002 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier

Spanish reds are a terrific bargain now. I'm fond of the tempranillo-based Gotim Bru. Looks like I'm going to have find that Casa Castillo.

I emphatically second the Chateau Pesquie.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Spanish reds are a terrific bargain now. I'm fond of the tempranillo-based Gotim Bru. Looks like I'm going to have find that Casa Castillo.

What is the Gotin Bru like? What does it cost?

I purchased the Casa Castillo from The Wine Exchange in CA. You can order on-line from their website here.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

My new "house wine" is Yellow Tail Chardonnay from Australia. Around $7.00, but sometimes on sale for $5.99. It is very quaffable. I'm not crazy about Chardonnay but this one is...buttery/creamy.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

:wink:

If in fact our gentle Nero does like Chardonnay and wants some on a given night, she need not resort to those musclebound overoaked brutes we all try to avoid. Lindeman's Bin 65 sells at $6 - $8 per bottle, and somebody's always got a sale going on it, at least in Chicago; it's nice and juicy -- fine for summer -- and not bound to grow acorns out your ears.

:raz:

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Oh! :wub:

I just laughed for joy in the school library and earned the week-before-practicals-week-but-some-of-us-have-practicals-this-week-so-shut-the-hell-up scowls of my fellow students. :huh:

Last night I bought a bottle of Ecco Domini Pinot Grigio for $8.99 (that's with the Savers card at Dominicks!) and it was gross, so I gave it to my roommate to read after her Bible study, but she also thought it was gross, so it will just sit in our fridge and gather odors.

THANK you so much for your tips! I will buy one of the bottles tonight after my Sauces practical and report.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Dear Nero:

There's a boatload of good wine out there to be had that definitely falls within your (and my) budgetary criteria. The Ecco Domani isn't good enough to take the paint off my car, but here are some other choices you can actually drink:

Domaine Jaume, Cotes du Rhone "La Friandes ~ $9.00

Domaine des Dorices Muscadet de Sevre et Main ~ $8.00

Corte Gardoni Bianco di Custoza ~ $9.00

Corte Gardoni Bardolino Chiaretto (rose) ~ $9.00

Corte Gardoni Bardolino Superiore ~ $11.00

Dr. Loosen Riesling "Dr. L" ~ $9.00

Haut Cotes de Nuits Blanc, Clos de Vignon Le Brun ~ $11.00

Chenin Blanc, Poniatowski Aigle Blanc Vouvray ~ $8.50

Big Tattoo Red Syrah Blend ~ $9.00

Chardonnay, Alois Lageder ~ $6.00

Fume Blanc, Barnard Griffin ~ $7.00

Rioja Crianza, Lan ~ $9.00

Tempranillo/Cabernet blend, Osborne Solaz ~ $6.00

There's tons more. This ought to get you started though trink22.gif

Cheers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My new "house wine" is Yellow Tail Chardonnay from Australia. Around $7.00, but sometimes on sale for $5.99. It is very quaffable. I'm not crazy about Chardonnay but this one is...buttery/creamy.

I like all the Yellow Tail I've tried.

Last winter, my house-wine was this shit in a big screw-top bottle, Pierre Dourthe (I think that's how you spells it).

The red was surprisingly OK, the white was B-A-D.

I haven't found it in Chicago, though.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Great topic.

I second the LAN Rioja. And the Ca' del solo. Also, several Monastrells from Jumilla (names forgotten) have been great.

Some other great deals I've just had are:

Primosic (sp?) Sauvignon Blanc, Collio: Awesome steely, clean, citrus-y sauvignon for $8 or $9. I'm going back for a case. or 2.

Dão (Portugese) red -- don't remember if it had a name, it was a blend of Touriga nacional and jaen varietals. Actually, I find pretty much any vinho verde, even at the 5-6 dollar range, drinkable (certainly preferable to the lindemans chard., but I'm pretty anti-chard).

Cristalino brut rose cava, ~$7: I've yet to have an undrinkable cheap cava, but this is the best so far. Summer in a bottle.

Cline California Syrah and Pinot Blanc/Chard. blend, both $8 at Trader Joe's. I know the blend sounds crazy, but it's a great refreshing summer wine.

2-buck chuck is drinkable, but barely. But for $2, it's tough to beat.

Hope you can find some of these.

More on this topic - a link to a great Seattle Times article about "mutt" wines, many of which are mentioned previously in this thread by our sharp eyed and frugal fellow eGulleteers that have exquisite taste in all things!

Click Me

Cheers Dears,

Katie

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reminded of last year's cheap standby:

Protocolo Red and Rose. $5.50. viño de la tierra de castilla (spain).

from one of those areas that's just too hot, as discussed on another thread. :wink:

Not a great wine, of course, but very drinkable with food. I have just tried the rose this year: a little, uh, dusty on opening, but it cleaned up considerably after a couple minutes.

It sounds like you all have succeeded in introducing Nero to the notion of wine bracket creep. She starts out at $3.66 a bottle, you jump her up to stuff at $8 a bottle and soon she will be unable to contemplate drinking anything selling for less than $75 or $100 a bottle. :biggrin:

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

It sounds like you all have succeeded in introducing Nero to the notion of wine bracket creep. She starts out at $3.66 a bottle, you jump her up to stuff at $8 a bottle and soon she will be unable to contemplate drinking anything selling for less than $75 or $100 a bottle.  :biggrin:

This is the ol' mary jane is a stepping stone argument. :raz:

It sounds like you all have succeeded in introducing Nero to the notion of wine bracket creep. She starts out at $3.66 a bottle, you jump her up to stuff at $8 a bottle and soon she will be unable to contemplate drinking anything selling for less than $75 or $100 a bottle.  :biggrin:

This is the ol' mary jane is a stepping stone argument. :raz:

I always thought of it as the "stepping stoned" argument.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Last winter, my house-wine was this shit in a big screw-top bottle, Pierre Dourthe (I think that's how you spells it).

I think I've had this in year's gone by. Came in a bright green 1.5 liter bottle, yes? White's kinda like turpentine? It was cheap.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.