• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stocking up for emergencies

fresco

When the lights went out in Toronto, we had a camping lantern with a reasonably fresh battery, a couple of AA batteries (enough to run a radio for eight or 10 hours), some candles, a couple of bags of pasta, a few cans of tomatoes, a small freezer full of odds and ends that would rapidly have been useless, given a prolonged outage, and no hoard of water.

We were told constantly that the city's water reserves were good for just 24 hours if there wasn't power for the pumps.

I know people of certain faiths (Mormons and Mennonites, to name two) are supposed to keep enough non-perishable food on hand to keep them going for several months. Somehow, I can't get myself worked up sufficiently to start stuffing cans and bags into every corner of the house--perhaps I'm hopelessly naive and trusting that things will go right.

Are you prepared for the worst--or even a few days of shortages?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Here in hurricane country, we try to keep the necessaries put back. I am not too good at it. I usually really have to think about where that radio is and whether or not it works. I go to the store and haven't a clue what size batteries I need. I have no idea where my manual can opener is... packed in a box smewhere, I suppose. I usually have enough canned stuff, crackers, cheese, etc. so that I won't starve. After all... unless it is for the hurricane party, eating is for surviving only.

One of the things that always puzzles me is the perceived need to buy and schlep bottles of water. What ever happened to the idea of giving the bathtub a good cleaning and filling it up? Or filling up the Igloo coolers? That is what we always did. Now, if the bottled water supply on the shelves gets low, the soccer moms start getting vicious.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

i've got several camping laterns, and plenty of batteries. i tend to buy batteries whenever i see a good deal. a few flashlights as well, which i always keep in the same exact spot (you don't want to go searching for flashlights with the power off).

i always have dozens of bottles of water in the garage, and happen to have plenty of canned goods that i could certainly live on for a while, not that this would be subjectively enjoyable.

i've got one hardwired old phone that i keep around. i'm betting that many don't, which is obviously a problem with no electricity. i have several portable radios in the form of boom boxes.

i all too often run my car til empty, which is a bad habit on many levels. i should address that.

during this past blackout, i wasn't fearful of going hungry, but i sure was fearful of not eating very well. that, of course, is no real worry at all.

i wear comfortable shoes to the office if i'm going to the city, but i recommend to others that they leave a pair of comfortable shoes at their office just in case. new yorkers have seen a lot of walking with the events of the last two years. nothing wears you down more than a pair of pumps. :unsure:

I stocked up last year when the terrorist alert was raised. I'm not one to panic, but if you live near DC you have to be a little prepared, especially with two small children.

We've got bottled water, canned food, several days worth of diapers, flashlights, batteries, first aid kits, blankets, duct tape, a radio, and an old-style phone that doesn't need electricity. But, like Tommy, I tend to fill up my car only when the light comes on. Should be more diligent about that.

And I always wear comfortable shoes. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

We have a lot of candles and matches. I even have wicks (left over from chanuka when we use olive oil in the menorah).

No flashlights or battery powered radio. I thought we had tuna fish, but it turned out my husband finished it all, but we have canned beans and 20 boxes of cereal. So, this week I will be buying a couple of flashlights and a transistor radio, plus extra batteries. Maybe some extra water as well. I also need to find our back-up phone. It's somewhere in our apartment.

For those of you familiar with the guys who sell batteries for $1 on the NYC subway, my husband was telling me that people on the subway car he was stuck in were wondering why none of them were around when they were really needed.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Good suggestion about having some cash. I am terrible about not having cash. It is probably a good idea to keep it in small bills as well.

I had a bunch of those big tall votive candles that I bought at the dollar store but I don't know where they are. I had better get some more. They don't give out a lot of light but they last a long time and are relatively safe.

In retrospect, it appears that I need to brush up on my planning. When Claudette was headed this way, I went up to the Super Target. It was a zoo. The soccer moms were testy. A couple of them were ranting at the manager about the bottled water. I suggested the bathtub and Igloo routine. They looked at me like I was an assassin after their precious darlings. I asked the manager my question, went after my supplies. I watched bumper car derby on the parking lot for a while just for giggles. The minivans are being forced out by the Expeditions and Suburbans, but the new Hummers are making a strong showing and are the ones to bet on for "parking space stand-off". Then I made my way home with my purchases... three cans of wasabi peas.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

And how about a hand cranked/solar powered/battery powered radio that receives AM, FM, SW, TV, Weather? That seems like a prudent investment. Does anyone have one and can give a report?

This one intrigues me, I admit. But I worry that if I buy one I'll suddenly get an itch to acquire a crossbow and light out for Montana. :biggrin:

Last year had a storm which cut off power to my house for 5 days. Have been on low level survival mode since...

I've got lots of canned goods and two of those 2.5 gallon containers of spring water. I've got lots of candles and oil lamps as well as 2 hurricane lanterns, half a dozen flashlights (Standard, florescent, a florescent camping lantern and a rechargeable million candlepower spotlight). I've got a power inverter so I can run lights, fan, tv and radio from car battery. I've also got a separate 12 volt DC power supply which will also power the inverter. I've got a 40 Qt. thermoelectric cooler that will run on both AC and DC. I keep the freezer stocked with 1 and 2 liter bottles of water for use in a couple heavy duty 50 Qt. marine coolers (Way cheaper than buying that "Blue Ice" crap, and when they melt you can drink them). I also have one drawer in my fridge devoted to storing nothing but batteries, all sizes (10 ea. D cells alone). 2 weather radios, several multiband radios and a AC/DC cable ready 9 inch color TV with built in DVD (Why is it that cable and phone always work, even when the power is out?). If I come across a decent generator with automatic voltage regulation and at least a 3 hour run time for under $500 I'm there baby!

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I've got lots of canned goods and two of those 2.5 gallon containers of spring water.  I've got lots of candles and oil lamps as well as 2 hurricane lanterns, half a dozen flashlights (Standard, florescent, a florescent camping lantern and a rechargeable million candlepower spotlight).  I've got a power inverter so I can run lights, fan, tv and radio from car battery.  I've also got a separate 12 volt DC power supply which will also power the inverter.  I've got a 40 Qt. thermoelectric cooler that will run on both AC and DC.  I keep the freezer stocked with 1 and 2 liter bottles of water for use in a couple heavy duty 50 Qt. marine coolers (Way cheaper than buying that "Blue Ice" crap, and when they melt you can drink them).  I also have one drawer in my fridge devoted to storing nothing but batteries, all sizes (10 ea. D cells alone).  2 weather radios, several multiband radios and a AC/DC cable ready 9 inch color TV with built in DVD (Why is it that cable and phone always work, even when the power is out?).  If I come across a decent generator with automatic voltage regulation and at least a 3 hour run time for under $500 I'm there baby!

now i just need your address. :biggrin:

they make hand-cranker flashlights as well. seems like a great idea.

If I come across a decent generator with automatic voltage regulation and at least a 3 hour run time for under $500 I'm there baby!

There were a couple of generators running on our street the night of the blackout. They were noisy, and I heard more bitching about the generators than about the blackout. Apparently more expensive generators run quieter.

If I come across a decent generator with automatic voltage regulation and at least a 3 hour run time for under $500 I'm there baby!

There were a couple of generators running on our street the night of the blackout. They were noisy, and I heard more bitching about the generators than about the blackout. Apparently more expensive generators run quieter.

That is true, and the reason you want the voltage regulator is because without them anything with computer modules (Most electronic entertainment equipment such as TVs and video games) will quickly be fried by the voltage variations.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I've always got plenty of dry grains and beans around, as well as miso and tamari, onions, dried seaweed, etc. One thing I learned from macrobiotics is that you can eat pretty well without a need for refrigeration.

I have a small solar electric system that will keep a couple of lights (compact flourescents) and my radio going for around a week of no sun. Also have a hand water pump, which I use anyhow for good, cold, fresh water right from the well for drinking and cooking. An electric supplies water for dish, clothes, and body washing, but I can get by quite comfortably with just the hand pump.

Also keep a couple thousand around in cash just in case the shit really hit the fan. And, just in case things really got rough, I've got an AK-47 along with a few thousand rounds of ammo, plus a couple of deer rifles and .22's - with plenty of ammo. As my son is fond of saying, "You can never have too much ammo." :smile:

living in Japan were a major earthquake is a daily fear (we had a a pretty strong jolt last night) we are pretty prepared. My house is filled with canned foods and bottled water and since we are regular campers we have a tent, sleeping bags, camping stoves, lanterns, etc. We also have a lot of candles and the flashlight and radio never move from their designated places.

Some of the worries people are having are not even considerations in Japan, most baths in Japan are always full of water (people tend to use the same bath water fror a couple of days, the tubs have heating elements that reheat it) and Japan is still a cash country, most supermarkets, drugstores, etc only take cash, so there is no problem not having cash on hand.

Of course I drive for days with my empty light on my car trying to strech it to the next pay period, at close to $50 a shot to fill it up I try not to fill it too often. :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We've just bought large stand-up and positionable flashlights for major areas and three two-burner propane camping stoves.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have been collecting oil lamps for a number of years, so light is not a problem. I also am a firm believer in keeping dried and canned goods in good supply (probably a carry over from my lean years). I also like to frequent the post Christmas sales for Christmas candles. You can often get a dozen 12" tapers for a buck. It cracks me up to see those "emergency candles" for $1.25 for about a three hour supply. I also really like the wind up radio, but have not gotten one yet. I do make sure I have fresh batteries on hand and opted for a gas range when I moved into rural CT. I also keep many gallons of spring water in the chest freezer just to act as a reserve for both water and coldness. If I loose electricty that I think will last a while, I take a gallon or two out to put in the fridge and wrap the chest freezer in a quilt. That will keep it frozen up to a week, and I know that even if that isn't enough, I do have spring water to drink

happen to have plenty of canned goods that i could certainly live on for a while, not that this would be subjectively enjoyable.

and don't forget the hand operated can opener

we have a full complement of camping gear including a one burner propane stove, flashlights, a wind-up radio, and a backpacking water filter we could use on the lake water in an emergency.

my pantry is four 6 1/2 foot shelves bolted back to back filed with all kinds of tinned and dried foods, water(we keep 5 5-gallon containers there that are rotated on a regular basis) and paper products.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This is a great thread, whoever started it! Ever since 9/11, I have tried to maintain supplies "just in case"....cash like several other people said in small bills and lots of change, I have gallons of water on shelves (I've dedicated the hall coat closet to emergency supplies other than food), paper napkins, toilet paper, baby wipes (no, I don't have a baby, but for cleaning up hands if they get dirty), lots of canned food that can be eaten without cooking...fruit, veggies, chili, and crackers, canned fish, chips, cookies, power bars, powdered protein mixes and of course, GU. I have two of my large athletic bags filled with a couple of pairs of socks, t-shirts, sweatshirt, jacket, gloves, old running shoes, baseball cap, (and I'm embarrassed to admit, some of my favorite cologne..well, I mean, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!), hair thingys, and just essential stuff in case we have to take off which I have packed for myself and dh and stored in our closet. And then the usual....batteries in fridge, flashlights, old telephone, battery operated radios and boomboxes (plus external speakers for the cd player....hey, I've gone thru some floods and it's much more fun with music!), and I've always got tons of candles all over. Plus I've got carriers for all my animals and extra food for them . I'd love to have a campstove and lantern and a few other things, but my husband thinks I"m insane and going overboard.....I say, better safe than sorry...... :smile:

I'm all set for whatever happens. Backpacking gear, hundreds of pounds of canned veggies from the garden, a chest freezer full of wild salmon/beef briskets/turkeys/chickens, gas grill, smoker, and 350 bottles of wine to wash it down with. Buying flour/sugar/etc in 50lb bags at cash and carry means I've got several months worth of bread and pasta supplys if all else fails I'll be stuck eating baguettes made on a pizza stone in a 600 degree grill and washing it down with bottles of champagne.

I always have my travel toilet kit packed and ready in the bathroom closet. Toothbrush and paste, moisturizer, spare prescription medications, etc. If I have to head for a Red Cross shelter because my roof has blown off, all I have to do is grab it and go.

Always have lots of canned goods around, and I keep the manual can opener in a drawer just in case of power outage.

No guns or ammo though. Perhaps I should think about that...080402ask_prv.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I always have my travel toilet kit packed and ready in the bathroom closet.  Toothbrush and paste, moisturizer, spare prescription medications, etc.

Hm, perhaps I should get spare meds too. I had forgotten about the prescriptions I take, and Emma's.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I always have my travel toilet kit packed and ready in the bathroom closet.  Toothbrush and paste, moisturizer, spare prescription medications, etc.

Hm, perhaps I should get spare meds too. I had forgotten about the prescriptions I take, and Emma's.

Heather:

This is really more for convenience sake when I'm trying to get out of town in a hurry on a Friday evening for a "change of scenery weekend". I usually keep about 4-5 days worth of my daily prescriptions for stomach condition, allergies, etc. in the toilet kit. Then when my regular supply runs out, I have a few days "cushion" to refill the scrips and then can refill the "backup" supply with the freshly filled meds so they're always up to date. Works pretty well for me so far. And under normal circumstances I'm usually not capable of this level of forethought! 033102biguhm_1_prv.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wow, Melkor, do you live anywhere near Palm Desert??? I wanna be with you when the big one hits, LOL!You've got the whole disaster thing put into perspective in my book....champagne to wash down whatever has been cooked in the brick oven! I wonder if I have a brick oven built in the backyard (and it's on the list at the moment) if it would be usable in case of disaster. And I do have to laugh at everyone who has said that one of their emergency items is a "manual" can opener....I've got ONLY a manual can opener; man, does that make me feel so out of it! :wink: