• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloomfield Farmers Market

bloomfield-tent1.jpg

bloomfield-tent2.jpg

bloomfield-tent3.jpg

bloomfield-cherries.jpg

bloomfield-honeyjams.jpg

bloomfield-squash.jpg

bloomfield-elyse.jpg

Elyse and her world famous pecan pie

bloomfield-elyse2.jpg

Elyse and happy customers

bloomfield-cookies2.jpg

Elyse's Cookies

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

bloomfield-cherries.jpg

Nice Pics. Are the cherries local NJ cherries? They are gorgeous :wub:

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Good Lord, it's painful waiting for pictures of self to load.  (Note to self: don't make 'are you done yet' faces when Jason's taking a picture).

jason takes so long to take a picture that i had a chance to lift a chair in front of my head before he could get one off.

great pie elsye. and that oatmeal cookie was a delicious treat for the ride home. it didn't even make it to the Parkway.

Elyse said that the Mexican love cookies sold out VERY early. Several people purchased more than one, and a fellow who stopped by about 5 pm was very distressed when Elyse had to tell him there were no more. It seems he may have had plans for the cookie...

The selection (by the time I arrived) was an anadama bread, a cuban bread, the pao, two pies, several large and small chocolate biscotti, large and small oatmeal cookies, and about a dozen cranberry muffins.

The location is very convenient for people descending from the train station

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

paodequeijo1.jpg

Elyse's Pao de Queijo, cooked at various stages of doneness

paodequeijo2.jpg

Extreme closeup of properly cooked specimen.

Definitely cook LONGER, closer to 35-40 minutes at 325 rather than less. They poof up more and create more bubbles on the inside if you cook them longer and they also give you that caramelized, grilled cheese taste.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

paodequeijo1.jpg

From left to right: 25, 30, 35, 40 minutes at 325F convection.

The 40 minute was definitely the best. I think next time I'll bake at 350F (still convection). 30-35 minutes will probably be right.

These puffed up a lot more than the ones Elyse made for the NY potluck, maybe convecton baking has something to do with that? The batter is much firmer and crumblier than I expected as well.

Elyse, did you roll or pat the balls before baking (after scooping with disher)? I'm wondering why mine are cracked on top and your's weren't.

Much depends on your oven and the size of the spoon/scoop you use. I said 25-35 minutes because I was telling people to drop by tablespoonfulls. Rachel or Jason, what size scoop? How would you describe the inside?

They were flat at Suzanne's because I simply ran out of flour. What can I say? These look as they're supposed to. Mine were smooth because they were wrongish. I suppose you could roll them in your hands to make them a bit smoother, but I like them more rustic. Up to you.

Paul, do I have to call them love cookies? I'll blush a thousand times if I do. Maybe I will. Did I tell you a waoman requested more of the black gold cookies(biscotti)? I think I'll make half as they were (press them down a bit), and half with less flour. It's a crazy recipe. Say a cup of sugar, a stick of butter, 21 oz chocolate, and six tablespoons of flour. ??? I had the consistency of crepe batter. I added an additional 2 1/2 cups of flour. I'll try to make a lot of the luv cookies. :blush:

Paul, do I have to call them love cookies?  I'll blush a thousand times if I do.  Maybe I will.  Did I tell you a waoman requested more of the black gold cookies(biscotti)?  I think I'll make half as they were (press them down a bit), and half with less flour.  It's a crazy recipe.  Say a cup of sugar, a stick of butter, 21 oz chocolate, and six tablespoons of flour.  ???  I had the consistency of crepe batter.  I added an additional 2 1/2 cups of flour.  I'll try to make a lot of the luv cookies. :blush:

Call the cookies anything you wish. I liked the chocolate biscotti. By telling people they'll be even better with coffee in the morning, you leave open the opportunity for them to buy another cookie for right now

It seemed to me that when you described the mayan chocolate cookies with cinnamon and chile as "you know, like those magic love cookies in the movie Chocolate " people immediately bought several. Guys, women, all kinds of folks.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Much depends on your oven and the size of the spoon/scoop you use.  I said 25-35 minutes because I was telling people to drop by tablespoonfulls.  Rachel or Jason, what size scoop?  How would you describe the inside?

The scoop pictured above is about a 1" sweep disher.

I baked a few more at 375F convection, at 25 minutes they were a little over done and mostly hollow inside, like a crunchy-cheezy pate a choux (cream puff shell). Do you think if I cook them lower, say 300, they'd come out chewier? Or are they supposed to be puffs?

Paul, this is true. :smile:

Rachel, they're supposed to be soft and chewey in the center (for my taste) with cheese stalactites and stalagmites. I can't really say I know much about convection ovens.

350 for 30 minutes w/out convection. Better. Not quite as puffy as the ones cooked with convection, but crisp outside and strechy chewy center. The outside is kind of dry though, do you think an egg wash on the top would be appropriate?

Okay, update on tomorrow, if anyone's interested. Will have two pies as pictured in the picture, and nine or so... 5" ones? May bring a couple of pxrexes. Will have six or so quarts of PdQ, and 10 small ones. Cookies, breads, muffins too. Mayan love cookies came out well. :smile:

I want an E-Gullet.com t-shirt!

Click on the eG Store link on the navigation bar, we got all kinds. :biggrin:

http://www.cafeshops.com/egullet

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a couple pies and a bag of cookies from Elyse at this last market. I figured my customers would love some hand made cookies. So, they went very quickly. I got some brownie points for that one. I gave the pecan pies to my favorite customers to enjoy. One of them even ate his for lunch! When they asked if I made them, I told them “Of course not, a woman I know made them”. They seemed strangely reassured by that answer. I guess I don’t blame them.

Elyse, they were a big hit. I will be getting more next time. After all, I have many more customers to feed.