• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloomfield Farmers Market

DAMN, but it was cold today.

yea, whaddya do during the cold season?

you should start diversifying your clientele.

Splain?

Well, when I'm expecting it to be THAT cold I wear enough clothing for three people. It's just the first day of cold I happened to be standing outside for 7 1/2 hours. :angry: Unbelieveably shitty hot chocolate from the diner too.

DAMN, but it was cold today.

yea, whaddya do during the cold season?

you should start diversifying your clientele.

Splain?

Well, when I'm expecting it to be THAT cold I wear enough clothing for three people. It's just the first day of cold I happened to be standing outside for 7 1/2 hours. :angry: Unbelieveably shitty hot chocolate from the diner too.

well, i meant selling to different AND more kinds of customers. i also meant selling to them in different ways.

smaller boutique shops might be one way. trying to think of another way to reach farmers' market patrons. random other stuff like that.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'll be doing that after the market closes. I just don't really have time to do that now. I'm going to work on the markets here in the city. I want to have a good gameplan under my belt before I present myself to them. Organic, regional, slow, bla, bla. Help?

Aside from that, when I get my mixer, I'll try to get into Zabar's, Balducci's, Grace's, Citarella....

Edited by elyse (log)

I'll be doing that after the market closes.  I just don't really have time to do that now.  I'm going to work on the markets here in the city.  I want to have a good gameplan under my belt before I present myself to them.  Organic, regional, slow, bla, bla.  Help?

Aside from that, when I get my mixer, I'll try to get into Zabar's, Balducci's, Grace's, Citarella....

uh, that's basically what i was saying.

when the market closes presumably will be when it's too cold.

another month or so at the most i'd guess.

aim for the smallest decent sized food store you can find that is conveniently located for you.

until you can scale anyway.

then make sure that store is relatively busy and profitable so you're not wasting time building a relationship that will go away b/c the boss doesn't know how to run a business/adapt to changing environment.

don't know what you mean by regional. for producce, meat, and fish, that's valid. not sure relative to baked goods.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Um, I know. I was answering you. :biggrin: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunbkjmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuiuni

(my cat says hi) :wub:

Damn, he also erased what I wrote. Okay. Blueberries or carrots etc for muffins, butter, milk, eggs, I suppose. Whatever I can buy regionally, I must.

I used to work outside all winter in Provincetown. As long as I was dressed well, I was fine.

Edited by elyse (log)

Um, I know.  I was answering you. :biggrin: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunbkjmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuiuni

(my cat says hi) :wub:

Damn, he also erased what I wrote.  Okay.  Blueberries or carrots etc for muffins, butter, milk, eggs, I suppose.  Whatever I can buy regionally, I must.

I used to work outside all winter in Provincetown.  As long as I was dressed well, I was fine.

well, is that any help? sound business advice?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Plus, I can show off my kicki new haircut!

what colors ?

Paul, you can color my hair any color you bring tomorrow. So far, it's just elyse color.

On a side note, I made meringue cookies today. Pumpkin pies happened also.

You know, it tases like pumpkin to me too. Ah well. It's definitely not pumpkin. It's sweet potatoes from the girls across the way. Roasted and peeled by my little digits. I have one left over that I will concentrate on this week.

And thank you! Did you get bacon chocolate chip cookies again? Yumm-o.

Edited by elyse (log)

Yes, the server (one of the ones that recognized us) offered them to us (probably not realizing we'd had them before), then to the party of three down the counter. They were disappointed in not being able to have any of the sweet potato pie, as I had gotten the last slice. :raz:

Yes, the server (one of the ones that recognized us) offered them to us (probably not realizing we'd had them before), then to the party of three down the counter. They were disappointed in not being able to have any of the sweet potato pie, as I had gotten the last slice.  :raz:

I wish they had my card for Thanksgiving!

Oh yeah, yesterday, people were talking about buying boxes of cookies to freeze since I won't be coming out there any more. No, how much should I over bake for this week?

Edited by elyse (log)