• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

first time smoker

sabg

i arrived home last night to find an brand spanky new smoker sittin on my doorstep. a wonderful surprise gift. i want my first time to be wonderful. what should i do first ? i was thinking about a duck or should i stay with brisket or a butt? also, any wood ideas?

I agree with Schiekle on the pork shoulder, assuming you have the time. If you're impatient and want more immediate satisfaction, toss on some pork ribs or a chicken with the pork, and you'll have something to nibble on while waiting for the shoulder to finish.

i arrived home last night to find an brand spanky new smoker sittin on my doorstep. a wonderful surprise gift.  i want my first time to be wonderful.  what should i do first ?  i was thinking about a duck or should i stay with brisket or a butt?  also, any wood ideas?

What kind of smoker?

Butt is good and easy. But, 185 is overdone IMHO. 165 (170 max)and let the carryover heat take it up to its final temp. That should kill any bugs. It's moister that way.

Brining is important. There is a brining FAQ somewhere that someone should post to you.

Soc.

Here's a search results page that includes, along with cigarette threads and threads about brandished guns, most of the accumulated eGullet smoking wisdom.

Smoke me.

At 165, you've long since killed any critters, but you haven't reached peak succulence -- the connective tissue needs time to render. That's what gives you the sensation of juiciness, even though the proteins have actually squeezed out most of the water-based moisture. The 185 temperature allows the meat to not only get done, but the collagen to fully melt.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Here's a search results page that includes, along with cigarette threads and threads about brandished guns, most of the accumulated eGullet smoking wisdom.

Smoke me.

here's an even better one. :raz:

edit: damn, you'd have to add this one too. damn Stone posting about smoking in the General forum. :angry:

tommy's is better.

dammit.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Butt is good and easy.  But, 185 is overdone IMHO.  165 (170 max)and let the carryover heat take it up to its final temp.  That should kill any bugs. It's moister that way. 

Well, 137F is the minimum safe temperature for pork and that works just fine for a loin, but is not even close for a butt. At 180 to 185, a butt is sliceable and around 200 is where you want to be for pulled pork. Each butt is going to be different and it is much more of a feel thing than an exact temperature. If the shoulder bone is loose and feels like it can be pulled out, the butt is at the pulling stage. This can be anywhere from 195 to 205.

Jim

If you've got a Weber Bullet, the temp mgmt isn't very hard, even the first time out. Do a mid-size butt -- about 4-5 pounds. (As a novice, I can say that the butt is the easiest and most forgiving.) That should let you start early and be done for afternoon eating. Get yourself a good digital therm. When you think it's done, wrap it loosely in foil and let it sit in the oven (off) for an hour.