• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

Close- Gas Lamp.

San Diego restaurant thread

There's one link for starters.

Also look in RJ Wong's compilationclickie

If I have time, I'll post links to the more-than-several threads for San Diego, asking much the same question, and all getting pretty much the same responses!

(we are a consistent bunch, apparently).

I'm all for Bertram's at Mr A's if its a full on blow out. Hard to beat the view.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

here's one - SD & OC

another

and another

In La Jolla, a stiff cab fare

Looking for Fine Dining

and yet another....

And I'm sure that in addition to the reading list above, there will be other suggestions.

The more specific you can be regarding what you want to experience, the better the suggestions will be.

I hope you find something you really like, and that you tell us all about it!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I'll be in SD in early January for a professional meeting.  Some friends and I go out each year in whatever city we're in for a big dinner.  Some preference for local cusine, but anything of top quality is fine.  Price is not really an issue.  Any thoughts?

Andrew

(btw, we'll be based near the Gaslight district [have I got that name right?], but are prepared to jump in a cab for a while)

The best of San Diego is probably not in the Gaslamp District. However, that said, you could do a lot worse than to consider Bertrand's at Mr. A's, affectionately known locally as Mr. A's. Laurel is also quite nice. The room has kind of a contemporary retro chic feel to it. I've never had a bad meal at Laurel. The foie gras appetizer currently on their menu is terrific, as is the duck confit.

Mr. A's and Laurel are kitty-korner across the street from each other at 5th and Laurel, an easy cab ride from the Gaslamp. The San Diego outpost of Oceanaire is good, especially the oyster bar. Happy Hour is well patronized by the local after hours business set. If you choose Oceanaire, be forewarned that the grilled fish entrees are much more successful than some of the composed ones. Portions are enormous.

Dobson's isn't so much fine dining as a good, locally owned, non-chain steak house. The owner is very colorful - a former (non-hispanic) bull fighter and the mussel bisque soup is devine.

Oceanaire and Dobson's are both more/or less in the Gaslamp. A little bit longer cab ride away is Parallel 33 where all the food is from countries on the 33rd parallel. The Ahi Poki and B'stilla are two of the best appetizers in town. This kitchen really knows how to cook fish well.

And just a little bit further out is Terra. This is a great little neighborhood restaurant doing very good food. They also do one of the best breakfasts in town and almost everything is under $10 at that meal.

Now, unlike many cities, San Diego actually has some excellent pretty darned good hotel dining. One of the absolute best is Le Fontaineblue Restaurant in the Westgate Hotel. Another option is Molly's in the Marina Marriott. Remarkably good food for a hotel, even the pickiest eaters have been happy here. And finally, after being closed for over a year for major renovations the U.S. Grant hotel has reopened along with the Grant Grill. This is real old time San Diego and has long been a meeting place for the local power brokers. The hotel is named after president Ulysess S. Grant and it is where he spent time when he was in San Diego. Grant Grill has gone through a number of incarnations and has been everything from spectacularly good to spectuacularly awful. Since it just reopened a few weeks ago with a new menu, new chef, new staff and new ownership, I'm betting they're going to be pretty good. The hotel is now owned by a local indian tribe. They've spent $52 million on the rehab and have become part of the Starwood network of upscale hotels. This purchase was very important for the tribe and they've got a huge stake in the property being successful, they're not going to mar it with bad food. All 3 of these hotel restaurants are in the downtown/Gaslamp area.

Incidentally, dinner is not the meal that San Diego does best. San Diego does breakfast better than any other city in California. Do not overlook that meal and while you're downtown do try Cafe 222 or Cafe Chloe for a delicious start to your day.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by kalypso (log)

The drive over the Coronado Bridge is gorgeous, we really enjoyed our meal at 1500 Ocean at the Del Coronado Hotel. It was one of my favorite meals while we were in San Diego and Laguna Beach a week ago.

Also, in La Jolla, George's at the Cove was excellent. Warm Puntarella & Winter Squash Salad, Loch Duart Salmon with Beet Risotto and the Red Wine Braised Prime Shortribs were some of the items we enjoyed here. The Mexican Chocolate Creme Brulee was very good, served with Warm Churros at George's. Enjoy! :cool:

Also, in La Jolla, George's at the Cove was excellent. 

George's at the Cove is indeed very good. They are, however, going to be doing some renovations on the main dining room. I believe it is still going to be open but you should check just to be sure. George's actually has 3 dining venues, the fine dining room, the bar and the terrace. The fine dining room is excellent and rarely disappoints. Unfortunately, the same can not be said of the terrace dining.

La Jolla would be a very long, VERY expensive cab ride from the Gaslamp :blink:

There were places that were closed and being renovated when we there there. I believe Top of the Cove was the name of the place now being renovated. They were right next door to George's. The server informed us that they are going after a Las Vegas type decor, updating and making George's more "hip" so to speak. We loved it just the way it was! :)

The more specific you can be regarding what you want to experience, the better the suggestions will be.

We're more interested in the cooking than the atmosphere (though of course both would be nice). I'm the only one who's into really hyper-modern cuisine (that's not a big issue in SD, is it?), but we're not looking for a steakhouse either. I think the most successful of these dinners was at Gary Danko in SF a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the many links and other suggestions above.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

We're more interested in the cooking than the atmosphere (though of course both would be nice).  I'm the only one who's into really hyper-modern cuisine (that's not a big issue in SD, is it?), but we're not looking for a steakhouse either.  I think the most successful of these dinners was at Gary Danko in SF a couple of years ago.

Andrew

No, you won't find hyper-modern cuisine in SD :smile: To date, I am not aware of anyone doing the molecular gastronomy thing either. While San Diego has made some big strides in fine dining, it is not yet near the level of other major cities, especially cities like San Francisco, Chicago or New York. You'll do the city and yourself a disservice by comparing dining in SD to any of them. You can find some very good to excellent food in San Diego, but you probably won't find anything with the ability to knock your socks off.

One of the big problems is your location. The Gaslamp is one of the major tourist areas so it caters primarily to tourists. Prices are higher than average and the quality is all over the map. Lots of clubs, but nothing like Gary Danko's in that immediate area. There are some "nice" restaurants in the Gaslamp that are doing some perfectly "nice" food, it's just not extraordinary because, frankly, tourists don't want to pay for it. When Petco Park opened 2 years ago the business in the Gaslamp were all expecting a prtty good bump in their revenues. Didn't quite happen. The lower to mid-range places did okay, but the higher end places did not see any increases. San Diegans were not willing to spend the big bucks on a high end restuarant meal, nor were the tourists.

The best meals in San Diego are probably to be found at The Marine Room in La Jolla, El Bizcocho at the Rancho Bernardo Inn, or Addison or Market+ both in Del Mar. The round trip cab ride would probably cost you as much as the meal :shock:

Syrah Girls recommendation for 1500 Ocean bears real consideration. It's in the iconic Hotel Del Coronado; the chef helped Thomas Keller open Per Se in NYC earlier this year. And while 1500 Ocean has only been open a couple months the local reviews have been really fabulous. Plus it's easily reachable from the Gaslamp without breaking the bank. You can take the water taxi across the bay and then a taxi from the Coronado landing to the hotel.

San Diego is still developing it's fine dining sensibilities. Right now there really isn't a "go to" type of place to send people, especially if they're in the Gaslamp.

We're more interested in the cooking than the atmosphere (though of course both would be nice).  I'm the only one who's into really hyper-modern cuisine (that's not a big issue in SD, is it?), but we're not looking for a steakhouse either.  I think the most successful of these dinners was at Gary Danko in SF a couple of years ago.

Andrew

No, you won't find hyper-modern cuisine in SD :smile: To date, I am not aware of anyone doing the molecular gastronomy thing either. While San Diego has made some big strides in fine dining, it is not yet near the level of other major cities, especially cities like San Francisco, Chicago or New York. You'll do the city and yourself a disservice by comparing dining in SD to any of them. You can find some very good to excellent food in San Diego, but you probably won't find anything with the ability to knock your socks off.

One of the big problems is your location. The Gaslamp is one of the major tourist areas so it caters primarily to tourists. Prices are higher than average and the quality is all over the map. Lots of clubs, but nothing like Gary Danko's in that immediate area. There are some "nice" restaurants in the Gaslamp that are doing some perfectly "nice" food, it's just not extraordinary because, frankly, tourists don't want to pay for it. When Petco Park opened 2 years ago the business in the Gaslamp were all expecting a prtty good bump in their revenues. Didn't quite happen. The lower to mid-range places did okay, but the higher end places did not see any increases. San Diegans were not willing to spend the big bucks on a high end restuarant meal, nor were the tourists.

The best meals in San Diego are probably to be found at The Marine Room in La Jolla, El Bizcocho at the Rancho Bernardo Inn, or Addison or Market+ both in Del Mar. The round trip cab ride would probably cost you as much as the meal :shock:

Syrah Girls recommendation for 1500 Ocean bears real consideration. It's in the iconic Hotel Del Coronado; the chef helped Thomas Keller open Per Se in NYC earlier this year. And while 1500 Ocean has only been open a couple months the local reviews have been really fabulous. Plus it's easily reachable from the Gaslamp without breaking the bank. You can take the water taxi across the bay and then a taxi from the Coronado landing to the hotel.

San Diego is still developing it's fine dining sensibilities. Right now there really isn't a "go to" type of place to send people, especially if they're in the Gaslamp.

Well said Kalypso. San Diego dining shines in many areas, ethnic cuisine being one of them, but its fine dining establisments while improving are in many ways lackluster.

I will also highly endorse The Marine Room and Oceanaire.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

The Marine Room is an always, because of the view again, as well as the food.

But that's one heck of a cab fare....

Since one of San Diego's strengths is its location, dont shun the view! It makes everything taste better!

Syrah Girls recommendation for 1500 Ocean bears real consideration.  It's in the iconic Hotel Del Coronado; the chef helped Thomas Keller open Per Se in NYC earlier this year. And while 1500 Ocean has only been open a couple months the local reviews have been really fabulous.  Plus it's easily reachable from the Gaslamp without breaking the bank.  You can take the water taxi across the bay and then a taxi from the Coronado landing to the hotel.

I just received an email coupon for $25 off a $100 meal at 1500 Ocean, must be used by Jan. 31, 2007 if you'd like it. PM me and I'll send it to you.

(BTW, I don't think this is limited to one coupon so if anyone else wants one..........)

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be in SD in early January for a professional meeting.  Some friends and I go out each year in whatever city we're in for a big dinner.

How are your plans shaping up?

• 2 weeks later...

So, after checking out a number of the leads suggested here, we decided to do two slightly less than all-out dinners.

First we went to Molly's in the Marriott Marina (that's where our convention was), and had a not very surprising, but extemely well executed meal. The spice-crusted ahi with aioli (actually a little more complicated than that) and the lamb three ways were particularly big hits at the table, but among 4 starters and 4 mains, there was nothing anyone didn't like. I split a "tarte tatin" for dessert, which was the most non-traditional thing all night (apple, sticks of pastry, and I recall a caramel crisp) kind of tossed together. Not what I expected, but tasty.

(Incidentally, I went back for their weekly wine and cheese tasting [saturdays, 4-5], which it turned out had been cancelled due to restaurant week preparations. The manager (Lisa) was very apologetic, and had me come back when they opened for dinnner, and set me up for a personal tasting with the head bartender (whose name I didn't catch, but who knows his cheese). Very entertaining and very informative. I'd highly recommend the regular tasting to SD locals.)

A couple of nights later we hopped in the cab and headed up to Arterra. Somewhat fancier setting and dishes, but still generally well executed (only objections: I had swordfish that was a tad overdone, and the cheese raviolo in the vegetarian plate was kind of unbalanced). Again, though, I don't think anyone regretted ordering of their starters or mains. Biggest winners were probably the "duck, duck, foie" and the ahi-three-ways. I particularly thought the little piece of pear wrapped in duck prosciutto was one of the best simple items I've had in a long, long time. Dessert was a little disappointing only because they had limited the selection to the three items on the restaurant week menu (incidentally, one of my friends went with that whole menu and was very happy with it). We had one of each, and all were good. There was a good range from very light citrus soup to very heavy butter cake, so I suspect everyone could find something that would work for them.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 2 weeks later...

We're headed to Aqua Blu in a couple of weeks. We were there last year, party of 10, and enjoyed it completely. Mid-range in price, portion sizes and creativity, and excellent in execution.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Chef in San Diego it's nice to see that people are eating out and enjoying the food and the service. My favorites are 910, Modus, and Parallel 33. I'm also a big fan of Vennisimo and Aniata for cheese. Keep the reviews coming.

• 2 months later...

Sadly, Aqua Blu didnt live up to our happy experience of the year before. This time it was a very mixed bag. 'nuf said.

I wanted to briefly report on a fantastic meal I had at MODUS about a month ago. The seared foie gras was to die for and the entrees (confit de canard for him, rack of lamb for me) outstanding as well. Perfectly executed bistro food. Portions are not huge but that was fine with me (quality, not quantity!). We loved the ambiance and the reasonable wine selection... Dessert was a disappointment though (I had the marjolaine cake which was a dry and super compact affair - maybe the cake was old??). Aside from dessert, the meal was great and I shall be back!

Thanks kalypso for another great recommendation.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Dear egulleters - I am looking for a place to go pre-opera. Any ideas? Unfortunately I think that Cafe Cerise has closed. In the past, I've been to Chive or Dobson, but I am looking for something different. Ideally the restaurant should be within walking distance.

Thanks!

We like Ole Madrid because its light, fun and easy. We'll be there Friday night before Figaro. You are forewarned.

Cafe Sevilla is also an option, as is La Gran Tapas (which Im not too fond of).

If you like seafood, Osetra was good, if a tad pricey.

The US Grant is re-opened for business, and thats as close to the Civic Theater as one can get. I havent been but friends enjoyed it.

Chive I've heard good things about but its a bit of a walk in heels.

Asti is a standby - an italian restaurant that opened when 70% of the restaurants downtown were italian, but this one survived.

In Horton Plaza is Napa Valley Grille.

If you find a different place, and its a gem, please post it. We walk to pre-opera dinner also, and are always looking for someplace worth a visit. (We have a fairly limited walking range and price range due to various members of our dinner group).

Modus .... I'd wear flats for that!

What is with San Diego and its early street-rollup? We couldnt get seated at 10:10 on a Friday night, after the show. Ended up at City Deli in Hillcrest, which is nice for a sandwich but not at all what we had wanted. On weekend nights, I miss Miami.

Thanks for the suggestions, Kouign Aman.  We are also thinking of going to Modus again since we liked it so much the first time (even though it's not within walking distance).

For future reference Laurel has a pre-fixe theater menu. They even provide transportation between the Old Globe and Symphony Hall, I think they'd probably provide it to other downtown venues if you asked nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

A question relating to food around the Convention Center and Hilton Gaslight. I'll be at cocktail/snacking receptions in the early evening and will probably be searching for a bite to eat at unpredictable times (therefore I don't want to make reservations) as well as have an unpredictable appetite (therefore no fancy places) and preferably eat ethnic (esp not French.) I appreciate any and all suggestions as to where to go within walking distance. Thanks.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

the tin fish (across the street) is very good for fish tacos. are you looking for sit down or quicker and more casual?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields