• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange County & San Diego

Lactic Solar Dust

Here's a San Diego thread that might help. San Diego

There's also a Carlsbad one I'll try to dig up since that's between SD and OC.

Seems to be a consensus that Sushi Ota is the place to go in San Diego.

Its off I-5 at Mission Bay (Garnet/Grand exit going south, Balboa exit going North).

I like Bertram's at Mr A's, and the view cant be beat.

Not far from Sushi Ota is Baci (Italian) which has a good reputation - I think its classical italian. Cant say from personal experience.

Downtown, Chives is getting good reviews.

Are you fans of buffet brunches? The Orange Hill (in Orange County) is said to do this well.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Here's a San Diego thread that might help.  San Diego

There's also a Carlsbad one I'll try to dig up since that's between SD and OC.

Seems to be a consensus that Sushi Ota is the place to go in San Diego.

Its off I-5 at Mission Bay (Garnet/Grand exit going south, Balboa exit going North).

I like Bertram's at Mr A's, and the view cant be beat.

Not far from Sushi Ota is Baci (Italian) which has a good reputation - I think its classical italian. Cant say from personal experience.

Downtown, Chives is getting good reviews.

Are you fans of buffet brunches? The Orange Hill (in Orange County) is said to do this well.

Thanks for the suggestions. We might make the trip to Orange Hill. My fiancée graduated from Chapman University and we believe that Orange Hills nearby. As I said we are big into sushi. Also, I am into anything and everything that is related to fresh food: fish, olive oil, produce, cheese, etc… For me, this trip will be about food and cuisine, whereas for my fiancée it will be about reconnecting with old friends.

It is going to be fun...

Oh, and we are both into booze. Any suggestions for any cool drinking establishments?

Thanks,

Edited by Lactic Solar Dust (log)

Thanks for the suggestions. We might make the trip to Orange Hill.  My fiancée graduated from Chapman University and we believe that Orange Hills nearby. 

Wow - what a total kick in my memory!!! I grew up in Tustin (until I was about 10; 30-some years ago) and Orange Hill was one of the five top "dress up to go out to a fancy restaurant." The other five (if memory serves), was Newport 17, Five Crowns, The Velvet Turtle, and The Magic Pan (yes, the one that became a chain).

Had dinner today at Sushi Shibucho in Costa Mesa, classic traditional no nonsense sushi. I love this place, have been eager to come back since my one and only visit 3 yrs ago. Make sure you make reservations though, it was packed when we got there at 6pm.

Last nite was Stonehill Tavern at the St. Regis, good wine list, decent new american food, service was not as polished as it should have been, not very exciting desserts and bad espresso. Wasn't expecting much so I wasn't dissapointed.

I can't help you in San Diego, but I can possibly help with the OC.

We just recently visited Stonehill Tavern at St. Regis. The food was fairly good - the ambience made up for things - it was a great experience overall. The bar at the hotel is beautiful - views from their small restaurant/bar "Motif" are incredible. I was lucky enough to stay there about a month ago - it was by far the best hotel experience I have ever had.

I love the Hobbit in Orange County. It's on Chapman in Orange. I've never had a bad meal there. Be forewarned though, you will be there for hours. It's a six-seven course prix fixe meal.

Another favorite restaurant of mine in Orange County is at the Montage. Great hotel, great views. Studio is the restaurant there - I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

I am not a huge Sushi fan, but folks seem to love Gen Kai on PCH in Corona del Mar.

There is a fairly new Mastro's Ocean Club on PCH at Newport Coast that has an incredible view for a cocktail. Food isn't bad either.

I also like Gulfstream on MacArthur and PCH for a cocktail. Great outdoor patio.

Hope that helps. Have a LOVELY time!!!

Some good suggestions here, particularly by knoxy.

I would highly reccommend Stonehill Tavern as well. Additionally, as knoxy mentioned the Loft at the Montage Resort is also supposed to be very good though I have not dined there.

I would also recommend Blue Coral in Newport Beach, great seafood and vodka bar. I would pass on mastros ocean club personally and go to blue coral, similar type of restaurant but I found the food to be better at BC. Right near the mastros are two much better options, Bluefin, for japaneese and Sage on the Coast. Sage is wonderful and I hear a lot of good things about Bluefin, though I have not been there. The sushi chef there is very highly regarded apparantly.

For a fun, hip place with interesting small plates and great cocktails, try Aire in Costa Mesa, I love it. Great food, great cocktails, great atmosphere, and a really nice, reasonably priced wine list.

For an awesome Sunday Brunch try Bayside restaurant, excellent food reasonable prices for a very nice setting, try to get a spot on the patio.

For an old-school vibe and good food try La Cave in Costa Mesa/Newport. Like a throwback to the jazz club times its an underground bar/restaurant with great steaks. I am not sure your ages but it gets pretty crowded with the young bar scene after 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.

Where specifically will you be in San Diego, I can give a bunch of recs for there as well but it might depend on where you will be.

Cheers!

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

The Hobbit!!! Fond memories. Does it still take 6 months leadtime for a weekend reservation and 2 months for a weeknight?

Five Crowns - still classic, dressy and going strong, so I'm told.

I do believe all the other three are defunct (I got to 4 of them in my yout').

The Fish Market is a small chain, does a good casual job with fish. The sushi bar in the downtown San Diego location is good and always packed. I noticed the Irvine Spectrum (a shopping mall) now has a location. Dont know if it includes a sushi bar.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

We have the Studio at Montage booked for our 25th anniversary dinner, so I'll report back on how it goes. Ocean 1500 at the Del where we are staying previously to Montage is also on the list as well as George's at the Cove in La Jolla. We're looking forward to our culinary trip in Southern CA! :cool:

Additionally, I forgot to add that I recently had two meals at Oceanaire Seafood Room in downtown San Diego, and both were truly excellent. The qualtiy and freshness of the fish was very very high.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I would highly reccommend Stonehill Tavern as well.  Additionally, as knoxy mentioned the Loft at the Montage Resort is also supposed to be very good though I have not dined there.

I would also recommend Blue Coral in Newport Beach, great seafood and vodka bar.  I would pass on mastros ocean club personally and go to blue coral, similar type of restaurant but I found the food to be better at BC.  Right near the mastros are two much better options, Bluefin, for japaneese and Sage on the Coast.  Sage is wonderful and I hear a lot of good things about Bluefin, though I have not been there.  The sushi chef there is very highly regarded apparantly.

For a fun, hip place with interesting small plates and great cocktails, try Aire in Costa Mesa, I love it.  Great food, great cocktails, great atmosphere, and a really nice, reasonably priced wine list.

For an awesome Sunday Brunch try Bayside restaurant, excellent food reasonable prices for a very nice setting, try to get a spot on the patio.

For an old-school vibe and good food try La Cave in Costa Mesa/Newport.  Like a throwback to the jazz club times its an underground bar/restaurant with great steaks.  I am not sure your ages but it gets pretty crowded with the young bar scene after 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.

Where specifically will you be in San Diego, I can give a bunch of recs for there as well but it might depend on where you will be.

Cheers!

Thank you for all the recommendations. My fiancée and I both appreciate the help from everyone.

We do not know approximately where in San Diego where we might be. More or less we will know when we arrive. I think a lot of it is going to have to do with where we are going to meet up with old friends.

We are both from Northwest Indiana located approximately 1 hour away from downtown Chicago. We are both very excited about the idea of being somewhere that is temporal pleasant rather than the frigid weather of the Midwest. Also, for the both of us, being immersed in the pleasure of true fresh seafood is what makes people like us break out in dance and hymn.

I will write back when we get back to give my opinion about everything.

Does anyone have recommendations for neat little artesian shops and "chilled" drinking establishments that would be excellent? The jazz recommendation is right up our alley. We are both big fans of old school blue, reggae, and jazz.

Thank you!

Does anyone have recommendations for neat little artesian shops and "chilled" drinking establishments that would be excellent?  The jazz recommendation is right up our alley.  We are both big fans of old school blue, reggae, and jazz.

Check out Solana Beach for the Belly Up Tavern

It has a restaurant called the Wild NoteCafe, very good. Lots of cool little shops in that area Solana Beach, called the Cedros Design District. I like Leaping Lotus

Additionally, I forgot to add that I recently had two meals at Oceanaire Seafood Room in downtown San Diego, and both were truly excellent.  The qualtiy and freshness of the fish was very very high.

I'll second Oceanaire in San Diego. We had dinner there in August for my birthday and it was wonderful. I blogged about it here complete with pictures. (You'll probably have to scroll down, it's the 3rd entry)

I was served what was without a doubt the best piece of swordfish I've ever eaten in a restaurant. Service can be a bit spotty and ours started out a little slow at the beginning but imrpoved greatly as the meal went along.

Edited by kalypso (log)

I would highly reccommend Stonehill Tavern as well.  Additionally, as knoxy mentioned the Loft at the Montage Resort is also supposed to be very good though I have not dined there.

I would also recommend Blue Coral in Newport Beach, great seafood and vodka bar.  I would pass on mastros ocean club personally and go to blue coral, similar type of restaurant but I found the food to be better at BC.  Right near the mastros are two much better options, Bluefin, for japaneese and Sage on the Coast.  Sage is wonderful and I hear a lot of good things about Bluefin, though I have not been there.  The sushi chef there is very highly regarded apparantly.

For a fun, hip place with interesting small plates and great cocktails, try Aire in Costa Mesa, I love it.  Great food, great cocktails, great atmosphere, and a really nice, reasonably priced wine list.

For an old-school vibe and good food try La Cave in Costa Mesa/Newport.  Like a throwback to the jazz club times its an underground bar/restaurant with great steaks.  I am not sure your ages but it gets pretty crowded with the young bar scene after 9 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.

Cheers!

Thank you for all the recommendations. My fiancée and I both appreciate the help from everyone.

We do not know approximately where in San Diego where we might be. More or less we will know when we arrive. I think a lot of it is going to have to do with where we are going to meet up with old friends.

We are both from Northwest Indiana located approximately 1 hour away from downtown Chicago. We are both very excited about the idea of being somewhere that is temporal pleasant rather than the frigid weather of the Midwest. Also, for the both of us, being immersed in the pleasure of true fresh seafood is what makes people like us break out in dance and hymn.

Does anyone have recommendations for neat little artesian shops and "chilled" drinking establishments that would be excellent? The jazz recommendation is right up our alley. We are both big fans of old school blue, reggae, and jazz.

Thank you!

Though touristy, downtown San Diego is really really cool, tons of great restaurants, shops, and bars. As for drinking establishments I would highly recommend Thin/Onyx Room, on 5th. www.onyxroom.com for their music schedule. A two level spot and one of my favorites. The top (Thin) is loungey, the bottom (onyx room) is more like a basement club. The Field is a great Irish Pub if you fancy a pint, so to speak. Candelas, a fine mexican restaurant, also has a nice lounge. JBar at the Solamar hotel is a great outdoor bar with a great view of the ballpark.

I would also recommend downtown La Jolla, around Girard streets and that area, a ton of nice shops and some nice cafes, and obviously beautiful views down by the ocean cliffs. The Shack, near windansea beach is a great beach bar.

And the answer is yes, I like to eat and drink a lot! :laugh:

Cheers!

Thank you!

Though touristy, downtown San Diego is really really cool, tons of great restaurants, shops, and bars. As for drinking establishments I would highly recommend Thin/Onyx Room, on 5th. www.onyxroom.com for their music schedule. A two level spot and one of my favorites. The top (Thin) is loungey, the bottom (onyx room) is more like a basement club. The Field is a great Irish Pub if you fancy a pint, so to speak. Candelas, a fine mexican restaurant, also has a nice lounge. JBar at the Solamar hotel is a great outdoor bar with a great view of the ballpark.

I would also recommend downtown La Jolla, around Girard streets and that area, a ton of nice shops and some nice cafes, and obviously beautiful views down by the ocean cliffs. The Shack, near windansea beach is a great beach bar.

And the answer is yes, I like to eat and drink a lot! :laugh:

my kind of guy

One I forgot to mention, primarily because its rather touristy and well known but Croce's in downtown San Diego is a well known Jazz spot with decent food.

Does anyone have recommendations for neat little artesian shops and "chilled" drinking establishments that would be excellent?  The jazz recommendation is right up our alley.  We are both big fans of old school blue, reggae, and jazz.

Check out Solana Beach for the Belly Up Tavern

It has a restaurant called the Wild NoteCafe, very good. Lots of cool little shops in that area Solana Beach, called the Cedros Design District. I like Leaping Lotus

Oh man... did I ever cut my teeth growing up there! I had forgotten about the Belly-Up! Before I got my driver's license, I would bike down there from Oceanside, sneaking back late at night!

Oh man... did I ever cut my teeth growing up there! I had forgotten about the Belly-Up! Before I got my driver's license, I would bike down there from Oceanside, sneaking back late at night!

Before I got my driver's license
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:

wowie-zowie, girl ! HOW could you forget ? :wink:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually have a horrid memory -- I've literally bumped into ex-lovers (at Renaissance Faires) and erstwhile best friends from the days of yore and not remembered them! See what a life of carousing will do to a person...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually have a horrid memory -- I've literally bumped into ex-lovers (at Renaissance Faires) and erstwhile best friends from the days of yore and not remembered them! See what a life of carousing will do to a person...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: