• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

There's also Kai's for breakfast, on the coast road.

Encinitas is home to The Potato Shack which is a long time breakfast tradition.

Sadly, VGs donuts aint what it used to be, tho I havent mid-night snacked there in many a year. (When the floor space tripled, the donuts stopped tasting as good. Not sure why).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

So an amendment to my request is that I now have to have a brunch-like business meeting in Carlsbad on Sunday (alas, no La Jolla this trip -- unless I go on Saturday instead of wandering up the 101).

I've been looking at either Bellefleur (ugh, a carving station for Chrissakes!) or the Four Seasons Aviara. If anyone has experience with either of these or any other stunning suggestions...

Actually, my business contact is coming from Escondido so I suppose I could look for any place between Carlsbad and Escondido for a reasonably nice locale, allowing me enough time to eat and then travel back to catch a 4:00 pm plane (returning a rent-a-car in that process).

So an amendment to my request is that I now have to have a brunch-like business meeting in Carlsbad on Sunday (alas, no La Jolla this trip -- unless I go on Saturday instead of wandering up the 101).

I've been looking at either Bellefleur (ugh, a carving station for Chrissakes!) or the Four Seasons Aviara. If anyone has experience with either of these or any other stunning suggestions...

Actually, my business contact is coming from Escondido so I suppose I could look for any place between Carlsbad and Escondido for a reasonably nice locale, allowing me enough time to eat and then travel back to catch a 4:00 pm plane (returning a rent-a-car in that process).

Take a look at Savory. They have a Sunday brunch and the food is excellent and market based. It's in Encinitas, but not far from Carlsbad at all.

Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse is open for lunch on Sundays. It is across the street from the beach in Carlsbad, and I've had consistently very good food there. I don't know if they do brunch type things on Sunday or not.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the Four Seasons either. It's a beautiful place, and even though I haven't eaten there in some time, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

The Four Seasons Aviara underwent a chef change within the last few months or so. The press has been excellent on it, particularly for the brunch. I'm in the East County so it's not exactly local for me so I haven't made a huge effort to get there myself.

Asia-Vous is best restaurant in Escondido and perhaps in all of San Diego. It can be extraordinary; it's a restaurant that could easily hold it's own in either L.A. or S.F. I am not sure if they are open on Sunday or not. If they are it's well worth a visit. If not, check 150 Grand, also in Escondido.

Since this is a business meeting I don't think you really want to go slumming, but for future reference and the other locals who might read this...the Escondido swap meet has some (who knew!) amazingly good Mexican restaurants, among which is one of the very few Oaxacan restaurants in SD county, and it's good, very good. And since Escondido is not close to me, no visit is complete without a stop at the Holiday Wine Cellar , without a doubt the best liquor store in San Diego county.

Checked out Kaito in Encinitas this past weekend, unassuming place, would never have gone on my own if I hadn't read any reviews. I was quite sceptical stepping in with all the neon beer signs and the live cover band in the background but was too tired to trek elsewhere.

They'll make funky rolls to satisfy less adventurous diners, but seem to get very excited with customers that are really interested in no frills sushi. Worth checking out if you're in the northern end of town.

Kaito Website

Asia-Vous is best restaurant in Escondido and perhaps in all of San Diego. It can be extraordinary; it's a restaurant that could easily hold it's own in either L.A. or S.F. I am not sure if they are open on Sunday or not. If they are it's well worth a visit. If not, check 150 Grand, also in Escondido.

Thanks for the heads-up on Asia-Vous -- looks as though it is not open at all on Sundays but I'll advise my friend who goes there often.

I've pretty much decided on Aviara and will report back my findings. It seems like the nicest, quietest place for a decent meal and business meeting.

Potato Shack definitely not business meeting material!

Remind us, where will you be hanging out on Sat at lunch time?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I think your point is well taken and valid.  San Diego is not NYC, Chicago, San Franscisco or even Los Angeles. Nor should it be, it has it's own identity and that's evolving. San Diego is a nice little military town with strong midwestern roots, that is no longer so small and has grown and changed faster than it can quite adapt.  What it lacks is worldly sophistication it more than makes up for in other quality of life factors.

No, the U/T is not a world class paper and there is no question their weekly food section is on of the worst imaginable.  Completely useless.

Come back for a visit.  I think you'll find the food truly is getting better here. San Diego isn't particularly a fine dining destination, and maybe it never will be, but it is getting easier to get a pretty good meal here.

For such a large, metropolitan city, SD never matured beyond its small town mindset. And, yes, that's part of its charms. But, other times, it devolves into this small-minded inferiority complex exhibited in this article. I don't think SD ever recovered from LA building its own harbor in Long Beach. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't have taken issue with the article if it had pointed out that the fine dining food in SD has gotten better over the years and that the national media has not yet recognized that. But, this article went beyond that went it tried to argue that the food in SD was actually better than LA with its convuluted reasoning. I just found the writer to be grasping at straws, in her attempt to show that SD had a better food scene than LA.

I forgot to mention, and perhaps it has already been suggested but for a business breakfast Arterra at the Mariott Del Mar is a great choice. Bungalow in La Jolla would be nice as well, especially if the weather is nice.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I forgot to mention, and perhaps it has already been suggested but for a business breakfast Arterra at the Mariott Del Mar is a great choice.  Bungalow in La Jolla would be nice as well, especially if the weather is nice.

I believe San Diego is currently experiencing their yearly "May Gray/June Gloom" weather (at least, they were when I visited my family there over the Memorial Day weekend).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I forgot to mention, and perhaps it has already been suggested but for a business breakfast Arterra at the Mariott Del Mar is a great choice.  Bungalow in La Jolla would be nice as well, especially if the weather is nice.

Arterra is, indeed, a good choice for breakfast. I've actually eaten there for that meal and it was delightful. The eggs benedict were perfect, the cofee good and the service excellent. There is a menu or buffet from which to choose. This is one of Bradley Ogden's properties. Good call.

May Gray/June Gloom is in full force right now. The coast is not seeing much sunshine, although they are forecasting a break in the weather towards the end of next week.

How 'kid appropriate' is Asia Vous?

We have a well-behaved 3yr old & a rapid evacuation policy for times that behavior is not up to standard.

If we arrived close to opening for dinner, would it be reasonable to include the munchkin or is this a restaurant not suited to small fry?

Things that help a restaurant accomodate small people with minimal effect on other diners include reasonably high ambient noise level and a willingness to have them present (as opposed to tolerating them grudgingly).

How 'kid appropriate' is Asia Vous?

We have a well-behaved 3yr old & a rapid evacuation policy for times that behavior is not up to standard.

If we arrived close to opening for dinner, would it be reasonable to include the munchkin or is this a restaurant not suited to small fry?

Things that help a restaurant accomodate small people with minimal effect on other diners include reasonably high ambient noise level and a willingness to have them present (as opposed to tolerating them grudgingly).

On the plus side, Asia-Vous is a small family owned restaurant. It's where it is so the chef and his wife (who runs the front of the house) can be close to their kids. On the negative side, it's not particularly noisy and was designed to provide an elegant, somewhat subdued ambiance. It's not all hard surfaces where noise bounces around, there is some noise absorption.

Your best bet may be to just call them and ask, explaining that your intent would be to eat early, that your child is well behaved and if s/he acts up you've got an exit strategy in place just in case.

Quick question: good friends looking for a nice meal out in San Diego. They would like to keep it under $100 per person total. They are not adventurous eaters (very traditional Midwest in both upbringing and palate). I have a host of sushi and other more adventurous restaurants recommendations - but they wouldnt' apply here. Need help!

Thanks!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

U.E.,

What area of San Diego will they be staying? Or is location not really an issue?

Osteria Panevino is a good choice for traditional Italian food, its the best of a host of mediocre Italian places located in the Gaslamp. If they are from out of town Mexican might be a good choice as there are many good choices in San Diego. Old Town Mexican Cafe and Guadalajara both located in Old Town are quite touristy but both very good.

Indigo Cafe in Little Italy is very good and interesting but not too dramatic.

Oceanaire Seafood Room is very good for Seafood as is Blue Point Costal Cuisine.

Trattoria Aqua in La Jolla is excellent as well.

All of these choices are good but not too exotic.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Quick question: good friends looking for a nice meal out in San Diego. They would like to keep it under $100 per person total.  They are not adventurous eaters (very traditional Midwest in both upbringing and palate).  I have a host of sushi and other more adventurous restaurants recommendations - but they wouldnt' apply here.  Need help!

San Diego is a big city, in which part will they be and will they have a car? Keeping it under $100 won't be exceptionally difficult.

Cafe Chloe - downtown

Chive - downtown

JSix - downtown

Buon Appetito - Little Italy

The Linkery - North Park (best craft brews in town)

Aperitivo - North Park

Alexanders - North Park

Modus Supper Club - Banker's Hill

Laurel - Banker's Hill

Ortegas - Hillcrest

California Cuisine - HIllcrest

Kemo Sabe - Hillcrest

Terra - Hillcrest

Has anyone been to Anthology yet? This is Brad Ogden's new place on teh fringe of Little Italy. The menu looks fabulous and the U/T was tripping all over itself in praise of the venue as a music spot. But so far, no word on the food. I do have tickets for June 27th but I did not purchase the dinner package since with that menu I think I'm going to prefer making my own selections. I'm really more curious right now about the food than the jazz.

Also, has anyone been to the new El Comal that opened last month on Illinois just north of University in North Park. Or to the new Mexican place on 5th between University and Washington in the Hillcrest Center (same one as the theaters)? It appears to be upscale to some degree and I'm really looking for a replacement for Chilango's.

Just returned from my mini-trip to San Diego. Immediately upon landing, I headed straight to the Extraordinary Desserts on Fifth (it was the one I always knew of before Krasne's Little Italy one opened up). Still relatively early in the morning, a small latte and a blackberry scone were more than ample.

Not food related, I then met a noted metals artist at Taboo Studio to peruse some recent work (and make some purchases). She was hoping to eat at Indigo Grill but didn't realize they were not open for lunch on Saturdays. Instead, we simply walked down the street and headed towards the first place she had never eaten at: Buon Appetito. We were served bread with a bowl of very fresh chopped/pureed tomatoes. I ordered a few glasses of a Merlot/Sangiovese blend which seemed a nice start. Being lunch (and having just had a scone), we both decided to eat light and two salads were ordered; Insalata di Rucola con Fegatini di Pollo, pan-fried chicken livers on a bed of fresh arugola and radicchio with house dressing and Insalata d'Anatra, fresh baby spinach with slow-roasted duck breast tossed in a warm house dressing with pine nuts and goat cheese. The chicken livers were quite nice and the duck breast tender and moist, but in both cases, the salad leaves were over-dressed. Oh well - this trip was about seeing old friends and not a grand culinary adventure.

Continuing on the non-food related note, my lunch date recommended the Mingei exhibit of Jewelry from Five Continents but also mentioned a pre-Raphaelite exhibit in the nearby Museum of Art. Since I had a few hours after our lunch before I had to be at my evening destination, back to Balboa park I headed and if one lives in the area and is even remotely interested, the pre-Raphaelite exhibit is astounding.

Well - what can I saw about my old friends? Dinner on Saturday evening was at Buca di Beppo and by-and-large, my friends were impressed. <groan> It was the Claim Jumper of mediocre Italian food: Obscenely giant portions of tasteless, pasty attempts towards pasta with sauce that could only have come from a can. Pity my poor friends, dear lord, they know not what they eat....

Finishing up, my Sunday business meeting had to cancel at the last minute and the comradery from the previous evening continued so a local favorite was chosen for Sunday brunch; The Potato Shack in Encinitas. To its credit, it was pretty good. We ordered a single pancake for the table (they ARE bigger than the plate upon which they sit and are quite thick and fluffy). I opted for eggs scrambled with chunks of ham and to my potatoes, I added mushrooms which <hoorah!> were quite bountiful. The squaw bread toast I had along with my breakfast was thickly-cut and I noticed others' toast was equally as thick (3/4" slices, at least).

Before heading back towards the hotel, I managed a dash across the street to acquire a large box of Chuao Chocolates. The eye-catcher; a piece with a Magritte pipe transferred atop with the inscription: "This is not a pipe." The filling? A ganache infused with tobacco and cognac. It is very, very subtle and not nearly as overwhelming as it could have been or as I was preparing for. And besides that one, I've got another 25 to taste!

On a last note, the city of San Diego is far more beautiful than I remember. The whole new Little Italy's build-up is stunning with its modern architecture and bright, stylistic colors. I can't wait to go back...

Has anyone been to Anthology yet?  This is Brad Ogden's new place on teh fringe of Little Italy.  The menu looks fabulous and the U/T was tripping all over itself in praise of the venue as a music spot.  But so far, no word on the  food.  I do have tickets for June 27th but I did not purchase the dinner package since with that menu I think I'm going to prefer making my own selections. I'm really more curious right now about the food than the jazz.

Haven't been yet, but my musician buddies in The Steely Damned are playing there July 3rd, so I'm going to see if I can weasel my way onto the guest list--which will hopefully leave me a few bucks in my wallet to try the food. :biggrin:

She was hoping to eat at Indigo Grill but didn't realize they were not open for lunch on Saturdays. Instead, we simply walked down the street and headed towards the first place she had never eaten at: Buon Appetito.

Continuing on the non-food related note, my lunch date recommended the Mingei exhibit of Jewelry from Five Continents

I love it when people post about where they've been when they visit. I find it intereseting to see where people end up and why. :smile:

The jewelry exhibit at the Mingei is wonderful. It was truly amazing to see the different ways that people, tribes and cultures adorned themselves. This particular installation really leans heavily towards folk art, not fine art and is really breathtaking. The Mingei also has a pretty cool ceramics installation about Eva Zeisel. This is one of their feature exhibits because Eva Zeisel is still alive and something of an iconic figure. But to me, the jewelry exhibit is more spectacular. Having once been worn by people the jewelry has tremendous energy and vitality, the ceramics, not so much. They're striking and beautiful but not quite as engaging as the jewelry. If the Kazakhstan exhibit is still there it's also a really interesting installation, it starts slow and builds. (Yeah, the Mingei is my favorite museum in SD) :wub:

Well - what can I saw about my old friends? Dinner on Saturday evening was at Buca di Beppo and by-and-large, my friends were impressed. <groan> It was the Claim Jumper of mediocre Italian food: Obscenely giant portions of tasteless, pasty attempts towards pasta with sauce that could only have come from a can. Pity my poor friends, dear lord, they know not what they eat....

Carolyn,

Thanks for taking the time to post about your trip.

As I read the above quote, my heart went out to you. My family, for some crazy reason, likes to go to Buca di Beppo for the occasional family birthday get-together. After our last outing there, I spoke to my brothers, who both enjoy Little Italy, and I think I convinced them that if we're going to go out and spend too much money on mediocre-to-poor Italian food, why can't we take that money and patronize a localy owned Italian place that serves good food? The money will help a local business, we'll eat better and probably have just as good a time.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Kalypso - Since you've seen the jewelry exhibit, you will appreciate my lunch companion: Arline Fisch. Her's and Helen Shirk's work were the only two modern artists in that entire exhibit -- it was at the end and Arline was better represented with the headress, pectoral breastplate, and multiple necklaces (Helen had a handful of brooches only, I believe). I also purchased one of Arline's pieces from Taboo. We waxed poetic about the long-lost days of Pirets as she fondly recalls it as I do and also remembers George Munger's Canes restaurant in Mission Hills.

Toliver - Ultimately, the sad part about the adventure is that I Could have and Should have pushed for something better. I felt since the old friends were in their own stomping grounds, they would want to patronize some locally-owned establishment as well. Actually, at one point the reservations were for Fish House Vera Cruz which would have been fabulous but as it was thought we were going to be there long and talk loudly, Buca was more suited. It was heartbreaking that over breakfast the next morning, the woman who changed the venue kept going on, "wasn't that lasagne last night just fabulous???" Lesson learned as the establishment was far too loud to talk to anyone other than the person immediately next to you so as a group of twelve, most of us didn't even get to visit with each other.

On an additional note for Buca, I believe the bill was smaller than it should have been. One of the bottles I ordered was corked and I gave a mini tasting lesson to our waitress AND manager; they were surprised when I insisted on a fresh bottle but were even more surprised when I suggested they taste a comparison between the two. Apparently they subsequently opened ANOTHER bottle in the back for the entire staff to taste the difference. So I guess I did *some* good in that regard...