• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli Reservations Topic

As Robert says, besides El Bulli getting a table is not a daunting task in every restaurant I know of in Spain. The only obstacle that sometimes I've found is the restaurant being closed because of its holidays (since Spain is a touristic destination, restaurants usually choose a time slot during the autumn / winter months, i.e., October - February).

Nevertheless, to avoid disappointment, try to secure reservations as soon as you have more or less definite plans.

Regards,

Pedro

PS: When did you send your mail to El Bulli and how long did it take to receive an answer?

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Pedro and Robert,

Thank you for your responses. I provided El Bulli with specific dates in May 2004. Their response was quite cryptic; due, I'm sure, to translation problems. What I am really asking is whether they are already fully booked for 2004, or whether they are just simply overwhelmed with requests and haven't yet devised a strategy for dealing with them.

I will address other issues I'm sure will arise from this post:

Yes, I know there are dozens of other resto's throughout Spain of high acclaim, and that I should not perseverate on one restaurant.

We went to El Bulli two years ago and were truly blown-away. Since we are already planning a trip to the Basque region, I decided it would be worth a "side trip" back to Roses - hell, it will only be a two day detour :raz:

Thank you for any further tidbits of advise

Mark E

Hello Mark: Since '97, we have made many visits to El Bulli and almost every visit has been a remarkable culinary experience. I would suggest that you fax a request to Luis Garcia for 2 or 3 dates in May but do that sometime next Spring. Make sure you remind them of your last visit to El Bulli. You will probably get a positive response.

I also echo Robert's response about Barcelona's other options, especially El Raco con Fabes. Santemaria presented his finest, most inventive menu ever, in our experience, at the time of our May 2003 visit. He has also redesigned his dining area. The dramatically colored interior both urban and upscale transforms the dining experience to 2003. This is a radical change from it's original stone walled, renovated country mill ambience. There are many other extraodinary culinary talents in and around the Barcelona area that deserve your attention.

I must add that your plans to visit the Basque area are equally exciting. Of course visit all of those Robert visited, if possible. I would however plead the case for Mugaritz, a best value for all those resstaurants Robert reviewed. I also agree with Robert's wife who felt quite taken with Mugaritz. Andoni I believe is a cauldron of talent deserving a far better rating by Michelin. I feel he will be one of the best of the region. Hope you manage to succeed with your itinerary in 2004. Judith

Andoni I believe is a cauldron of talent deserving a far better rating by Michelin.

Yes, Andoni Luis Aduriz should get a better rating from Michelin, but it will be difficult for him to get a "far better" one! He already has two stars, so there's just one step up the red book's ladder left for him to climb...

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Judith, welcome to eGullet. I hope we get more input on those trips of yours and I hope you enjoy the discussions here. Can Fabes is one of our all time great meals. I'm glad to hear Santamaria is evolving. We enjoyed the rustic ambience when we were there and look forward to seeing the new dining room. I assume the redesign was part of the contruction of the hotel/inn. As a long time gastro-visitor to France, I've found it remarkable how many of Spain's great rural restaurants are not part of an inn with overnight accommodations and how many of the urban restaurants are nowhere near the urban center and often well into suburbia.

As for two and three star ratings in Spain, well, I've had my share of disagreement with Michelin on that score in France. In Spain they seem less reliable. A conservatism may be to blame, but it's beyond just delaying a change in status. This forum has become one of the best places I know to find the names of restaurants in Spain that are worth seeking out.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

El Bulli emailed me to confirm reservations for May 2004. I can start planning my trip; and thanks to the amazing input from this board will appreciatively heed the advise given.

We will definitely spend the first part of the trip in Basque territory!!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I sent in a request for anytime in September last week; today heard back, unable to fill your request, call a month ahead and we might be able to help you.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

I sent in a request last week for ANY date in July, and got the same email response you all received. What should I do next?? How did you all get in??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara, is it July or nothing? April and September are statistically more in one's favor. Calling on a Sunday used to be recommended. Perhaps it still is. I don't know how the fellows there are doing it for next year. They had to give up on the January 15 "free-for-all" of this past season.

Yes, unfortuately it's July or nothing. Coming from Philadelphia, trying to celebrate finally finishing a PhD.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I, too, got a negative reply for July. I was around last year and the last minute option certainly didnot work. Commerc 24 was as close as I got to this cuisine.

I'm going to try to get in via a friend in the region who knows somebody .... - but it is phenomenally disappointing. For years I could not go because I did not leave the USA in the summer (now my son goes to summer camp ...). Now that I do my one goal is unreachable.

July and August are the hardest times to get a table precisely because this is when most people manage to take a vacation. If you can get away in April, May or October, I think the odds improve, although they are never favorable.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

• 1 year later...
The date on which reservations would be accepted for 2005 was posted in the forum last October. We'll look forward to a similar announcement towards the fall this year. I'm sure it will be a question most of us who are planning to eat at elBulli this season will ask. We don't know if the process with be the same next year. It seems that those who offered the restaurant a broader choice of dates, were most likely to get a positive answer early for this year.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable