• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli Reservations Topic

I'm planning a trip in April to Spain, specifically to eat at El Bulli for my boyfriend's birthday. I understand that reservations open in january...

It has been suggested that emailing them is the prefered method of getting a reservation. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Am I right in thinking that bulli@elbulli.com is the correct address? If it is, does anyone know what the liklihood of getting my preferred date is and how long it is before they'll confirm the reservation?

Hints and tips gratefully received...

Tarka

Edited by tarka (log)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I have a tip! Remove the date from this post! They'll be inundated with E-Gullet members and lurkers within minutes of opening the booking for the 2003 season! I was trying to keep it a secret! :biggrin:

I have an e-mail from them saying that my request should be sent to them, presumably e-mail or fax is the way to go with this. From what I understand, you need to send a selection of dates and they will then try and meet one of your requirements. I have my alarm clock already set for that morning!

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

damn. let the cat out of the bag on my first post.

:unsure: i thought as the date was in the public domain....

anyway, if anyone is lucky enough to get a table on the basis of my info, i;m sure they wouldn't us tagging along. arf.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

I'm planning a trip in April to Spain, specifically to eat at El Bulli for my boyfriend's birthday. I understand that reservations open on the 15th January....

It has been suggested that emailing them is the prefered method of getting a reservation. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Am I right in thinking that bulli@elbulli.com is the correct address? If it is, does anyone know what the liklihood of getting my preferred date is and how long it is before they'll confirm the reservation?

Hints and tips gratefully received...

Tarka

My experience, from 2001, was that faxing was the preferred method, but that may have changed.

Do indicate a range of dates as well as the specific date you most wish and why that date is imporant (eg a birthday.) For reservations abroad, I tend to fax and email, indicating that the message was sent both way. Make sure you provide all contact information with each correspondence. (I have actually received faxed confirmations in reply to email inquiries.)

Be very clear and precise. Indicate the dates you wish in a list for easy reading. This may seem obvious, but I have seen some atrocious faxes (in a different line of work) that required reading a novella to get the pertinent information out.

Good luck,

A.

they open in april and are open every evening except monday and tuesday for three months. they are then open for another three months, dinner every evening. they don't open for lunch at all. i got this info from their website...

they also have the distinction of having one of the most horrible websites i have ever seen.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

tarka -- I assume you are also visiting El Raco Can Fabes at San Celoni, which can be accessed by a quick train ride from Barcelona? Note I have visited neither Can Fabes nor El Bulli at this point, but Can Fabes could be worth the quick journey. :blink:

Matthew -- El Raco de Can Fabes is a Michelin three-starred restaurant (together with El Bulli near Barcelona, and Arzak and Berasategui which are no within the Barcelona environs) that is arguably the natural accompaniment to a trip to El Bulli.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/site/us/rech_rg.htm

http://www.racocanfabes.com/gb.htm

(property site, with indicative menu; indication closed Sunday nights and Monday; this can be lunch opportunity, for example)

When I checked about a year ago, there was a direct train from Barcelona to San Celoni (requiring very vaguely 1 hour or so perhaps). However, you probably need a car for El Bulli and you could easily drive using the same car to San Celoni. There is a small inn in San Celoni (restaurant will tell you the name) that is the best bet, as it is steps away reported from Can Fabes.

You might want to review recent discussions on Espai Sucre as well, which I have also never visited. :hmmm:

Edited by cabrales (log)

Its worth noting at this pioint that Girona airport is closer than Barcelona airport to El Bulli by approximately 60km (if memory serves me correctly). I was planning to stay in Roses for a couple of days, it is only a 7km taxi ride from El Bulli.

cabrales, i was hoping to turn the trip into a bit of a spanish culinary tour and was planning to go there as well..but i'm loathe to book anywhere until i have booked el bulli. do you know what you have to do to book con fabes? jump through a burning hoop of fire? paint yourself green? :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

I'm inclined to say that neither El Bulli nor Can Fabes is forgettable, at least not after eating there. They are two different kinds of restaurants and two different kinds of chefs. It's possible that one or the other will hold greater fascination for certain individuals although it's El Bulli that may have the more limited and specialized appeal as Santamaria (at Can Fabes) works within more traditional methods of preparation and within a more traditional palate range.

If one has the budget in terms of time and money, and a very deep interest in food at the this level, a visit to both would be rewarding. Another favorite of mine is the two star Can Roca just outside of Girona.

When making reservations for dinner in France or Spain, we've found e-mail to be less reliable than telephone or fax. Unless you know a restaurant actually checks their e-mail and relplies regularly I would be reluctant to rely on it. If I used it and did not get a reply within a working day, I'd go the fax route. On the other hand, my wife carried on a two way conversation in Spanish with El Bulli as she worked out our plans last year. Our original dates were unavailable, but they were able to offer an alternate reservation for which we revised our travel schedule. Then again there was some intercession on our behalf and our e-mails did not arrive cold.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Cabrales, I faxed a couple of times to make sure and gave them 6 dates. I've received nothing in reply and whne phoning there is only an answerphone message in Spanish which I don't understand :sad:

Has anybody else got any idea how long it will take them to respond?