• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Father's Day in NJ

Rosie

So, I took Lowell to Sammy's and we had a fabulous dinner. I know---you either love or hate this place. We waited a half hour in the bar aka purgatory and then had their salad, red peppers with garlic, bread, steak, lobster and loin lamb chops. I must tell you that the lamb was better than anything I recently had in Australia and New Zealand and the lamb in those countries was extraordinary. Corn on the cob and french fries accompanied the meat. Dessert was apple pie with ice cream, apple crisp with ice cream and a brownie with ice cream.

Did you go out? Be sure to give us a report. And Lou-- we know you had to work. :sad:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Yeah, but I met Casey...... and her family who have been drinking espresso martini's since their inseption at The Grill.

1/3 strong espresso

1/3 Tia Maria

1/3 Stoli vanilla

over ice, shake hard pour in a LARGE martini glass.

Happy Father's Day to all, time to put my kids to bed.

Lou

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Went to Kim's Kitchen : rare Prime Rib, baby portobellos in garlic, baked potatos with sour cream, humbolt fogg cheese, and lemon sorbet. Sometimes, tradition is the best! :laugh:

Lou:

Excellent espresso martinis (as the designated driver for the Fathers, I took a few sips of my brother's!). At least you know the boys are reliable customers!

Now you just have to convince him we should all come back with the spouses for a nice dinner--he says this is "his place" and not one to bring his wife.

I may have to make the drive up from the Edison area with other friends to try your fabulous cuisine!

Casey

Did Indian take out at a new local Indian place: Batter dipped chiles with mint sauce, lamb vindaloo (extra spicy) and onion kulcha.

Here's the Fathers day gift ryan my oldest son gave me a week early:

Graduated highschool.

3 sport letterman in soccer, track & field and basketball

President of Mu Alpha Theta (Math) Leading scorer all 4 years

Member of Talented and Gifted Program, Academic Team

National Honor Society

Lead the Low Brass Section of the Marching Band

Member of Concert and Jazz Band, Brass Ensemble

Performed with County Band Festivals

Member of Chorus, Chartones and Men’s Ensemble

Participated in County Chorus Festivals and Honors Chorus Festivals

President of Catalyst Club

Member of Foreign Language Club, Varsity Club, Drama Club, SADD, Buc Vision, Chess Club and the Ski Club.

Participated in Peer Tutoring and Morning Announcements

Took 8 College Level classes during tenure of High school

Classes at University of Pittsburgh through the University Scholar Program

Commonwealth of Pa. Merit Award for outstanding performance on SAT

1st Place on Bauch & Lomb Honorary Science Award

Louis Armstrong Jazz Band Award

There were others I can't recall

Will attend West Virginia Wesleyan College where he received the Presidential Scholarship and Legacy Scholarship.

He will be studying Pre-med as a Chemistry Major.

Just like his dad, eh? ;-)

Oh yeah, he's gonna be a rock star too, regular Buckaroo Bansai...

ryan0001.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Congrats Mark,

You deserved to have a great Father's Day and your son gave you one of the greatest gifts a child can give to a father. I pray I'm that lucky going into the next decade with my 4 children.

Lou

Wow Mark, I knew he graduated but didn't know about all those accolades and awards..congrats! And look, the handsome kid is wearing one of your shirts in the picture! :laugh:

There's a good description of Sammy's Ye Olde Cider Mill, Menham, in this thread.

Oh, here it is:

Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill, 353 Mendham Road West (Route 24 Editor's note - old Rt 24), Mendham hasn't changed in the 20 plus years I have been dining there. If you want a great steak this is the place to go. And if you do go here don't expect a sign our front letting you know that it is a restaurant. There is no sign and usually a long wait. Things are done differently here. When you enter Sammy's don't wait to be seated. Go to the hostess station or get in line because there will most likely be a line. Look at the menu nailed to the wall and tell the hostess your name and give her your order. Most people come for the outstanding dry-aged Black Angus T-bone steaks, lobsters, and enormous cuts of lamb, veal and pork chops. Dinner includes salad dressed with house made wine vinegar, a fresh vegetable, the best French fries in New Jersey, dessert and coffee. We skip an appetizer. We had steak for two and lobster.

Once you have ordered go to the basement where there is a handmade wooden bar which dates back to the 1920's prohibition era when Sammy's was a speakeasy, video games and a bumper pool table to help you bide your time. Order a drink from John (he makes a mean martini) and tell him your name. Don't pay him, but certainly tip him, as the bar bill will be added to your food check (a nice touch). A few minutes before your food is ready the phone will ring, John will call your name and you may now go to the dining room where you will have a scrumptious dinner.

Dinner served Mon. through Thurs. 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM; Fri. and Sat. 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM; Sun. 4:30 to 9:00. Phone 973-543-7675 for directions. Reservations are not taken.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Rosie-- Where is Sammy's?  Brief description, please.

I updated the post.

Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill, 353 Mendham Road West (Route 24), Mendham, is the best-known secret around! Even though this establishment does not have a sign to let you know that it is a restaurant I have never been here when there wasn't a wait. Sammy's has been in the Fornaro family for over 60 years and is now run by third generation family members, Maryann, Phil & Sam Fornaro.

You may be confused at your first visit to Sammy's as things are done differently from any other restaurant that I have dined at. When you enter Sammy's don't wait to be seated. Go to the hostess station or get in line because there will most likely be a line. Look at the menu nailed to the wall and tell the hostess your name and give her your order. Most people come for the outstanding dry-aged Black Angus T-bone steaks, lobsters, and enormous cuts of lamb, veal and pork chops. Be forewarned you dinner includes salad dressed with house made wine vinegar, a fresh vegetable or corn on the cob, the best French fries in New Jersey, dessert and coffee. You may not want an appetizer although you may want to splurge on stone crabs which are offered in season. Our dinner for three people with 2 wines, 2 beers and one soda was close to $200 with tax and tip.

Ok. You have ordered. Now what? You are sent to the basement where there is a handmade wooden bar which dates back to the 1920's prohibition era when Sammy's was a speakeasy, video games and a bumper pool table to help you bide your time. Order a drink from John (he makes a mean martini) and tell him your name. Don't pay him as the bar bill will be added to your food check (a nice touch). A few minutes before your food is ready the phone will ring, John will call your name and you may now go to the dining room where you will have a scrumptious dinner.

Dinner served Mon. through Thurs. 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM; Fri. and Sat. 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM; Sun. 4:30 to 9:00. Phone 973-543-7675 for directions. Reservations are not taken.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

3 sport letterman in soccer, track & field and basketball

President of Mu Alpha Theta (Math) Leading scorer all 4 years

Member of Talented and Gifted Program, Academic Team

National Honor Society

Lead the Low Brass Section of the Marching Band

Member of Concert and Jazz Band, Brass Ensemble

Performed with County Band Festivals

Member of Chorus, Chartones and Men’s Ensemble

Participated in County Chorus Festivals and Honors Chorus Festivals

President of Catalyst Club

Member of Foreign Language Club, Varsity Club, Drama Club, SADD, Buc Vision, Chess Club and the Ski Club.

Participated in Peer Tutoring and Morning Announcements

Took 8 College Level classes during tenure of High school

Classes at University of Pittsburgh through the University Scholar Program

Commonwealth of Pa. Merit Award for outstanding performance on SAT

1st Place on Bauch & Lomb Honorary Science Award

Louis Armstrong Jazz Band Award

There were others I can't recall

Will attend West Virginia Wesleyan College where he received the Presidential Scholarship and Legacy Scholarship.

He will be studying Pre-med as a Chemistry Major.

now that's one apple that fell *way* far from the tree. :biggrin:

seems like a good kid. someone i'd like to hang out with.

Mark, where is the new Indian takeout you went to? Always looking for new Indian options in the area.

BTW I feel your pain over the Navesink Cafe :sad:

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Heard on the TV the other day that twice as many cards are purchased for mothers day than for fathers day.

And Moms are more likely to be taken out to eat and Fathers are more likely to cook the Fathers Day meal -- BBQ.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Mark, where is the new Indian takeout you went to?  Always looking for new Indian options in the area. 

BTW I feel your pain over the Navesink Cafe  :sad:

King of India is in the Tower Plaza in Eatontown, across from Tokyo Japanese restaurant. Also it's not just takeout, they do a good buffet for lunch and have a pretty nice dining room for lunch and dinner. about 7 or 8 of the buffet choices change every day, and unlike many other Indian places the dishes don't all look, taste and smell the same. If you are so inclined it can be a bit of a chore to convince them that you really do want a dish to be hot and spicy.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Thanks Mark. I think I got a coupon in the mail from that place actually..now I definitely have to try it. Usually go to Neelam....not the greatest but it is fairly consistent.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!