• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ebay gift certificate for Amanda's

tommy

They tried to sign my up for this. It seems a restaurant gives 2 to 4 gift certificates a week to advertise on the site. It didn't suit what I do and declined. I thinjk this is more suited to place that need business during the week. The certificates were good for the weekend also which is why I declined.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone actually tried these certificates? (the ones on eBay from Restaurant.com)

I see they have them for (in my area): The Metuchen Inn, Cafe Abbraci, Constantines, Allen's Italian Ristorante, and The Woodbridge Steakhouse, among others.

They cost between $1 and $3 plus $1 for handling. They are worth $25 off the food portion of your bill. They email you the certificate. It is good for one year.

There are restrictions, but some are worse than others. They are good for parties of 2 unless it states that it has to be a party of 4 (which many of them do). Some do specify that they are valid from Sun - Thurs, others don't specify.

You can't use more than one per party, and you can't use more than one per month per restaurant.

A friend of mine in CT uses them often, and says they are great.

Restaurant.com on eBay has over 80,000 feedback comments and the extremely rare negatives say things like "the restaurant was out of business" - nothing that reflects the integrity of the seller.

Anyone here have experience with them? Seems silly not to get them - especially for places you frequent anyhow!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I have a four sitting here that I've won but haven't used yet, for three South Jersey restaurants and one PA restaurant. The most I paid for a $25 GC was $6, the cheapest was $2 ($1 winning bid plus $1 handling fee). One is a buy one/get one free coupon, the others are $25 GCs. No Friday or Saturday nights is the only restriction on the $25 GCs, but the restrictions vary from place to place.

I don't know how restaurant.com or their participating restaurants make money on this deal.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I have used one recently. I spent $10 I think, for a $25 gift certificate. There weren't any restrictions, except alcohol maybe. I was a bit nervous about handing the waitress something I printed off my computer, but there were no questions or problems.

We have gotten a couple and in fact will be using one this coming weekend for a Flemington restaurant. We got them for a bid of only $1.00 plus $1.00 for processing.

After you win the bid, you print out the certificate on your printer and then you have up to one year to use the $25.00 or what ever (some are 50% off) certificate.

After you finish eating at the retaurant, you just give the server you certificate and they call it in to verify the number and then they make the adjustment on your bill. It's really easy and this way you can get to try a restaurant that you might not without it. :biggrin:

I have been using the gift certificates from restaurant.com for around 6months now.....having a blast with it....it is addicting.....I have used Metutchen Inn, Yu Yee Sushi - twice, Salsa's twice, Brix,Northside Trattoria, and tonite the newly opened Robert's in Garwood (excellent). I have given some away as well. Everytime a smooth transaction. I also have some that I haven't used yet.

Well, we used a certificate last night with some friends in Flemington at a place called Max's Bistro on Main St in Flemington. The food was very good and it's a BYOB.

We ordered , had dinner and when we asked for the bill we gave the server the printed out certificate. They took it away and came back with the bill adjusted. Easy as pie and they did not make you feel "funny" about presenting it at all.

We'll be looking for more restaurants to try up here in North Jersey. Any suggestions on the restaurants that are listed? Thanks. :smile: