• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carne Asada

I'm hoping someone might have a tried and true recipe for Carne Asada. I checked the eGullet Recipe Archive and came up empty. And Internet searches haven't revealed much.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

A friend of mine in Oaxaca made her carne asada this way (be prepared to be underwhelmed), and it was the best carne asada I've ever had.

Skirt Steak pounded until you can see through it

salt

Grill the steak and squeeze some lime on at the end. Serve with tortillas, salsa, and grilled onions.

A straight Google search gave me quite a lot, although obviously its a hellish task picking through them,

hellish, indeed. plus most of them are for Carne Asada Tacos, wherein the skirt steak is only grilled for a bit and then it's sliced lengthwise for the tacos. I'm looking for something more along the lines of the Carne Asada that was briefly mentioned on the last episode of Food TV's Food Finds when they covered Hispanic foods. It wasn't in the Leona's bit, but the one right before or right after it. The guy was grilling outside in the parking lot and he kept dabbing these big skirt steaks with some sort of marinade. It looked so good my mouth started watering for it. I want that sauce. little flecks of peppers and tomatoes, some brownish liquid. What was that!? is that the Asada ?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

A friend of mine in Oaxaca made her carne asada this way (be prepared to be underwhelmed), and it was the best carne asada I've ever had.

Skirt Steak pounded until you can see through it

salt

Grill the steak and squeeze some lime on at the end. Serve with tortillas, salsa, and grilled onions.

That's not exactly what I was looking for, but it sounds good enough to try. Lime on anything (except your eye) is a good thing. I'm surprised to learn how much lime is used in Mexican cooking.

BTW, I don't remember who mentioned something about eating lightly grilled corn tortillas with a little crushed salt and lime, but I tried that this weekend. WOW! How awesome. (Actually, I think it was Miss J in one of the first posts in this forum).

I want that sauce. little flecks of peppers and tomatoes, some brownish liquid. What was that!? is that the Asada ?

Asada means grilled.

Nothing fancy - just grilled meat, and the mentioned friend's way of doing things is just fine indeed.

Flank or skirt steak - have the butcher cut it for you - no more than 1/4" thick.

Cover w/ some lime juice, sprinkle w/ mexican oregano and a healthy amount of salt - let sit refigerated at least a couple hours.

Grill or pan fry to desired doneness - w/ the meat really thin it doesn't take long.

If you really want to mop the meat as well you could use the leftover marinade - not really necessary though.

You can vary the marinade somewhat if you'd like - lemon juice instead of lime, throw in some garlic.

There are many variations on this theme.

Edited by sladeums (log)

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

My dad, being Rio Grande Valley raised, made what was probably a gringo version, but we ate it at the table and then again, taking turns at the refrigerator door two hours later.

Think it went something along the lines of: Pound the skirt, S&P, lime juice, then marinade whilst you start the other, way more labor intensive sides, like Mexican rice, nopalitos and beans. And the world's most heavenly guacamole you have evah had. This is the rice recipe he sent me a few years back; though you didn't ask, trust me that no asada meal is compleat without it. I post it here for no particular reason, so enjoy with my compliments:

Hola Conchita

For next time, it goes something like this...

You need a medium-size skillet that you can cover. Put in a cup of rice (Texmati is best by far.) Add about 1/3 cup of veg oil and cook (stir) on low-med heat until the rice is light brown. Pour off the excess oil. Wipe the bottom of the skillet with a paper towel so the oil drips don't get burned on. Put back on low heat and add about 1/4 cup each of chopped onion and bell pepper and cook for 5 min. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped Rotels, 1-3/4 cup water, salt, pepper (and a little cumin if you want - I've been leaving it out). Raise heat to med. and stir till it starts to boil. Reduce heat to low/low (an East Texas term) and cover. Cook covered for about 20 min. Like all rice recipes, if you remove the lid while it's cooking you will be struck by lightening and turned into a lame crawfish at the feet of a blue heron.

Love you and good luck,

Daddy

Since you posted in the Mexico forum, I will assume you want a Mexican recipe for carne asada... As you have read there are many variations on the theme, and that is just inside Mexico - Every Latin country has a different version - it's like asking for a recipe for BBQ, every state, well every house! will have their own...

So here is my recipe for carne asada a la Tampiqueña:

1 top sirloin steak (about 20 ounces)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon ground oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

1/4 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon lime juice

2 teaspoon cider vinegar

Rub oil all over the steak. sprinkle with salt pepper and oregano (both sides).

Combine the juices and the vinegar and marinate the steak overnight, or at least 8 hours.

Bring the steak to room temp before grilling. Drain and reserve the marinade.

Heat the coals to very hot and place the steak on the grill. Cook 3-4 minutes per side for medium, basting frequently with the reserved marinade.

Serve with rice and refied beans topped with crumbled cheese and cream, guacamole, slices of lime and onion.

Buen provecho

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

My next door neighbors (from Mexico) often make carne asada. Thin (really thin) skirt steak (I'm not sure if it's pounded) marinated in lime, tequila, oregano. Salt and pepper before grilling. Grill is really hot, flip, flip, and it's done. All of the Mexican groceries here sell the really thin skirt steak, and I'll have to ask next time I'm in if they pound it before selling.

Their rice is sort of like the one Jess mentions, except they don't use water, they use chicken broth (probably bullion cubes).

Beans, guac, pico, and a "fried" salsa that is, I believe, 100% pureed peppers.

Super fresh (usually homemade tortillas).

They always pass plates over to us (I reciprocate just as often), and if it is part of a party, they invite us.

Because they so often make and share it, I never make it, but then again, I don't think they ever make larb!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My next door neighbors (from Mexico) often make carne asada.  Thin (really thin) skirt steak (I'm not sure if it's pounded) marinated in lime, tequila, oregano.  Salt and pepper before grilling.  Grill is really hot, flip, flip, and it's done.  All of the Mexican groceries here sell the really thin skirt steak, and I'll have to ask next time I'm in if they pound it before selling.

Their rice is sort of like the one Jess mentions, except they don't use water, they use chicken broth (probably bullion cubes).

Beans, guac, pico, and a "fried" salsa that is, I believe, 100% pureed peppers.

Super fresh (usually homemade tortillas).

They always pass plates over to us (I reciprocate just as often), and if it is part of a party, they invite us.

Because they so often make and share it, I never make it, but then again, I don't think they ever make larb!

Ahh, yes, your neighbors, the neighbors that everyone wished they had. I remember you mentioning them before, perhaps on the Gardening thread. You have no idea (perhaps you do) how lucky you are.

Fried salsa? is that basically a salsa that you've sautéed all the ingredients?

Fried salsa? is that basically a salsa that you've sautéed all the ingredients?

Yup. They puree the ingredients (lots of time just peppers; if it's green, they might add one tomatillo) and fry it in a little bit of oil so it thickens. It is served room temp, not hot. I don't think they ever use cilantro in it -- but they always do in pico.

I've heard that Goya Adobo seasoning is what gives it that really authentic taste.

http://www.goya.com/english/products/produ...&prodCatID=4#31

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've heard that Goya Adobo seasoning is what gives it that really authentic taste.

http://www.goya.com/english/products/produ...&prodCatID=4#31

I may be opening a can of worms here, but I dislike the term "authentic." My previous neighbors, also from Mexico, made carne asada, but using a slightly different technique and marinade ingredients than my current neighbors. Does that make either one of them less or more authentic? Or any less "authentic" than carne asada eaten in Mexico?

Perhaps someone with more experience in Mexico would care to comment.

I don't have more experience in Mexican cuisine, I'm still just trying to learn as much about it as I can. But what you're suggesting, snowangel, sounds to me as if it might be due to regional differences. Were the two families from different regions?

Every household is going to make it differently, just like every household in America is going to make different BBQ sauce/style....

This would definitely account for your two Mexican neighbours' recipes... as a matter of fact, my recipe is different from my friend's anyway, and we grew up 2 streets away...so there you have it...

The only thing I would say is that Goya is not so much Mexican as Latin....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Every household is going to make it differently, just like every household in America is going to make different BBQ sauce/style....

This would definitely account for your two Mexican neighbours' recipes... as a matter of fact, my recipe is different from my friend's anyway, and we grew up 2 streets away...so there you have it...

The only thing I would say is that Goya is not so much Mexican as Latin....

Goya is the largest latin american foods provider, period. Mexican or otherwise.

Goya.com Regional Page

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

This would definitely account for your two Mexican neighbours' recipes... as a matter of fact, my recipe is different from my friend's anyway, and we grew up 2 streets away...

Would love to know, Sandra, where did you and your friend grow up? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Goya is the largest latin american foods provider, period. Mexican or otherwise.

Absolutely right, Jason, I used to do work with them... and have used many, many of their products over the years - as a matter of fact, last time I was in NJ I stocked up at Extra...

All I was saying is that the "adobo" they have is more of a Latin thing - it does give good taste though... have you tried the one with cumin? Marinate chicken legs in this adobo and olive oil, then BBQ....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Would love to know, Sandra, where did you and your friend grow up?    :rolleyes:

Jaymes,

Mexico City, in Polanco - you know it?

I am lucky enough to have traveled to Mexico DF several times. Beautiful city. Fabulous museums, churches, the zócalo - and I've hit all the tourist highlights, of course. But I don't think I am familiar with that particular neighborhood.

Hope we see many, MANY more posts from you!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Polanco is the residential area behind Chapultepec and the Museum of Anthropology and Carlota and Maximiliano's Castle... You could even walk it to Zona Rosa in a fit of energy!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Polanco is the residential area behind Chapultepec and the Museum of Anthropology and Carlota and Maximiliano's Castle... You could even walk it to Zona Rosa in a fit of energy!

Oh yes - I think I've driven through it. Lovely neighborhood as I recall.

And that Museum of Anthropology is one of the most fabulous museums I've ever been in. And the first time I ever had chicken mole was back in the mid-70's at a restaurant in Zona Rosa that was famous for it. Boy, was it good. :rolleyes:

Absolutely right, Jason, I used to do work with them... and have used many, many of their products over the years - as a matter of fact, last time I was in NJ I stocked up at Extra...

All I was saying is that the "adobo" they have is more of a Latin thing - it does give good taste though... have you tried the one with cumin? Marinate chicken legs in this adobo and olive oil, then BBQ....

I've used it over the years for different things -- the traditional one with cumin makes a great spice rub for steaks and carne asada.