• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morgan Spiced

Dan Gibson

Is this the same as CAPTAIN Morgan's spiced rum? It's pretty popular here in the States. Most folks just drink it with Coke, but I'd imagine it's tasty on it's own. I doubt it's as smooth as an aged rum for sipping purposes though.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I agree with Jason. Too sweet with lots of vanilla flavor. Most people drink it with coke, which makes it even sweeter! though I think their goal is to not taste the alcohol in their drink.

Salud

• 3 weeks later...

And it makes a great spiced rum cake, I might add.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Good point, even if you don't enjoy some of rums in cocktails many make great additions to cakes, brownies, cookies and other goodies. I add a teaspoon of rum to my pancake syrup, heat it up so it mixes well.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

When I go to bars, I often have mixed drinks with rum. I tend to favor Bacardi and have it with orange juice and a twist of lime most often, but sometimes, I go for cranberry juice, just for variety. I tried Captain Morgan Spiced with cranberry and found it interesting and not a failure as a drink. I don't make a habit of it, but I could imagine getting it again some time if the mood struck me.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think Four Square is a much better choice for spice rum.

Yes, its a great rum, as is Doorlys, the other rum that Spirit of Hartford imports.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...

The original Captain Morgan's Rum was produced in the Cayman Islands. But this new "Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum" ... I don't believe its produced by the original company.

It is very popular among the younger members of the college crowd in the U.S. It seems the College seniors and graduates having matured to other things.

Someone suggested that you should mix it with Coca-Cola. I would suggest a LOT of Coca-Cola.

Pierre

Texas