• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Evolutionary Recipe

Fat Guy

JAZ never met a recipe she didn't like . . . after a few changes.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I would have a wonderful time in one of Janet's classes. My biggest problem with my cooking isn't in being afraid of trying something new, but rather in never remembering exactly what I did the last time I tried a dish and having to invent all over again. This has led to my fair share of disasters, which I fortunately remember in detail better, but it has also led to my being willing to stick my neck out, because the successes have outweighed the disasters by another fair percentage.

Cooking for two has also forced me to read recipes for ideas more than for their instructions. Too often there is something in the recipe that doesn't halve or quarter well, be it an ingredient or how long something should take to cook. This forces improvisation: do I add more of something rather than leave it out, because it doesn't come in half sizes? How will that change the results? Should I add more liquid, because it's all going to evaporate and the dish will burn to a crisp? Should I add stock, or just water? The changes add up.

Thanks, Janet. You've given this novice cook encouragement.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

I would have a wonderful time in one of Janet's classes.  My biggest problem with my cooking isn't in being afraid of trying something new, but rather in never remembering exactly what I did the last time I tried a dish and having to invent all over again.  This has led to my fair share of disasters, which I fortunately remember in detail better, but it has also led to my being willing to stick my neck out, because the successes have outweighed the disasters by another fair percentage.

Yes, Janet, thanks for a wonderful article.

Enter Diana (my 12 year old budding chef daughter). She is vigilant about makes notes on recipes ("great," "add more of this or that," "was the person who wrote this on drugs?" "you mean they gave space in a cookbook for this?"). And, when she or I make up our own recipes, or modify existing ones, she makes notes about "added xxx quantity of this or that" or "cooked longer or shorter or hotter or cooler" or, in the case of our own creation, gives approximate quantities and directions. She keeps all of the latter in her own recipe book, along with how well (or poorly it turned out, "so I don't make the same mistake twice"). She and I have a philosophy that as long as one is not using really expensive ingredients, there's not a whole lot to lose. And, we subscribe to the theory that if dinner is a real disaster, one can have bacon and eggs and toast on the table in just a few minutes, treating the disaster as a not-so-amusing amuse.

Yes, Diana is wonderful. And not just in the kitchen. :biggrin:

P. S. Diana used "mirepoix" correctly in a written sentence for a 2nd grade assignment.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I wonder what can be said about a person's personality overall based on recipe behavior, and vice-versa.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wonder what can be said about a person's personality overall based on recipe behavior, and vice-versa.

First, let me thank Janet for a thought-provoking and very interesting discussion of how she approaches a recipe.

And Fat Guy, I think one could start a whole new science of psychology based on how each of us approaches a recipe. Sort of like hand-writing analysis!

Your comment reminded me so much of a professor's comment on an essay I wrote in university: "Relies too heavily on authorities." He would say the same about my approach to recipes!

But I'm changing - thanks to egullet - I no longer reject a recipe just because it contains an ingredient I hate. Now I will search for substitutes. Further, I will give a recipe with promise a second chance. If it almost turns out I will make it once again but try to fix its deficiencies.

How we approach a recipe speaks volumes about how we approach life - bowing to authority or winging it and trusting our own instincts, as Janet does.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Excellent article, Janet.

When I opened the recipe for the ham and guryere salad, I noticed that the mustard in the dressing is absent from the ingredients list. Realizing that I am contradicting the thrust of the article - could you please provide the proper amount of mustard for the dressing and possibly the type of mustard suggested.

Thanks

-Eric

When I opened the recipe for the ham and guryere salad, I noticed that the mustard in the dressing is absent from the ingredients list.  Realizing that I am contradicting the thrust of the article - could you please provide the proper amount of mustard for the dressing and possibly the type of mustard suggested.

Thanks

-Eric

Oops. I copied the recipe from the wrong file. (No, wait -- it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention. You passed.)

The amount of mustard is a tablespoon (Dijon type). This gives a pretty strong mustard flavor, but I find the salad ingredients can stand up to it. Fee free to use less if you're not a mustard fan. For the record, I've corrected the recipe in the archive.

And thanks -- I'm glad you liked the article.

When I opened the recipe for the ham and guryere salad, I noticed that the mustard in the dressing is absent from the ingredients list.  Realizing that I am contradicting the thrust of the article - could you please provide the proper amount of mustard for the dressing and possibly the type of mustard suggested.

Thanks

-Eric

Oops. I copied the recipe from the wrong file. (No, wait -- it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention. You passed.)

The amount of mustard is a tablespoon (Dijon type). This gives a pretty strong mustard flavor, but I find the salad ingredients can stand up to it. Fee free to use less if you're not a mustard fan. For the record, I've corrected the recipe in the archive.

And thanks -- I'm glad you liked the article.

Thanks Janet. And for the record, I'm a huge mustard fan. I even use mustard in tuna salad instead of mayo!

-Eric