• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggplant Recipe

menton1

Would like to prepare an eggplant entree (main dish) for a dinner this weekend-- love eggplant. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thought of Imam Bayaldi, but can't find a recipe for it-- or any other good eggplant main dish. Thanks for your help!

Since I got a marvelous new Le Creuset gratin pan, everything is a gratin. This has become a favorite.

Peel the eggplant. Slice in half lengthwise and slice into half rounds, about 1/4 inch thick. Peel a large onion, cut in half then in half rounds about 1/4 inch thick.

Spray a shallow ovenproof dish with cooking spray or oil with olive oil. Alternate rows of eggplant and onion slices, overlapping slices and rows by about 1/3. Salt lightly, Sprinkle with herbs of your choice. (We like basil, thyme and fennel seeds.)

Distribute a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes over the top.

Slice a 14 to 16 oz. smoked sausage link in 1/4 inch wheels. Distribute evenly across the top.

Bake at 325 in the lower part of the oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks Marlene! I was thinking about doing that. Are there rules to the recipe data base? Should I go in and add an ingredient list? Or is it ok as-is... After all, it is just an assembly thing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks Marlene! I was thinking about doing that. Are there rules to the recipe data base? Should I go in and add an ingredient list? Or is it ok as-is... After all, it is just an assembly thing.

Rules? Only that you can't enter anything copywrited without permission :smile: All I did was paste it into the instruction section, since as you say, it's really an assembly thing. Since there aren't a lot of ingredients, I didn't worry about pasting them individually as ingredients : :smile: I think it's ok as is.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Rules? Only that you can't enter anything copywrited without permission :smile: All I did was paste it into the instruction section, since as you say, it's really an assembly thing. Since there aren't a lot of ingredients, I didn't worry about pasting them individually as ingredients : :smile: I think it's ok as is.

oops. I'm told by the great god of eGra (vengroff) that the ingredients should be separated, only for consistency. He is right. (and he's my boss) And thus is born the second rule. Please be consistent in the format in which recipes are entered :biggrin: So I will re format the recipe to refect this wise and consistent rule :biggrin::biggrin:

edited because I can't spell.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.