• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork and beef oh my

col klink

I use it to light fires and candles mostly. My fiancee bought for me as part of a crème bruleé kit and it's all right for that, but it really is underpowered but it's great for fires and candles. I love the little guy.

You must go thru a lot of butane...I have the same on you have...and it needs to be refilled relatively often and I dont use mine much...

Nightscotsman, did you heat any of that pork up first? That will loosen a lot of the juices from the meat.

Heating takes time - and I wanted pork now! :wink: I'll try warming it tomorrow for breakfast or lunch. Do you recommend pan frying, wrapping in foil and tossing in the oven, or a little microwave action?

All of those will work but I prefer the foil and oven first, then pan frying then microwave. Although pan frying will slightly alter the flavor of the pork, giving it a slight resemblance to grilling. I only recomend microwaving if it's still in the vacuum sealed bag.

Glad you're enjoying it. :smile:

And they're off!

Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience . . .

I want my pork NOW!!!!!

I have to wait until I get back from Mexico to get mine :sad: (pork and brisket that is :biggrin: )

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yay, you got some Marlene! I'm happy for you (really). It's the best smoked meat to ever grace my palate.

I've got pork and turkey headin' my way this time. The brisket has already been sampled, and has been a fixture in my dreams every since the supply was exhausted nine hours after it arrived. :)

I was going to smoke some things tomorrow (pork shoulder, ribs), but my grill is frozen (raining ice; prelude to snow). Kids are home this week, and wanted a smoking lesson. Please feel sorry for me.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Quajolote and Pete, I've very happy you're enjoying your smoked meats. Responses like yours make this worthwhile.

I should probably mention to those who ordered the turkey breasts that despite the fact that portions of the breast look pink, they are in deed, fully cooked. The pink is a result from the smoke and is a good thing! Instead of smoking a whole turkey, I just smoked up a couple of those breast combos where the breasts and some rib and wing portions are separated from the whole bird and then packaged. This allows for greater surface area exposed to smoke, thus making a smokier breast and a breast that's pinker than you were probably expecting.

This reminds me of a big bbq that a friend and I threw last year where upon a 'que newbie looked at the sliced brisket that had smoked for 14 hours at 225 F and said "I don't think this is done, it's still pink."

Madam X :wub: and I have been so impressed by the Klinkster's meat that we ordered a smoker like his. The Smokin' Pro looks like a good deal and I am looking forward to producing Texas and Kansas style BBQ soon. (pull that pork :cool: ) I suspect it will be a while before ours is as good as the Col.'s, but I suppose you learn to make BBQ the same way you get to Carnegie hall—practice, practice, practice.

I have high standards for BBQ, I was raised in Oaktown (Oakland CA, a nice place to be from!) and they have some good 'Que there. El Klinko is right up there with the best.

I notice the Col. is building a cold smoker; with the Salmon available in that area I suspect some good Lox will be flyin' around. Most folks I've met who,do cold smoking seem to prefer converting old refrigerators. How are you building yours, CK?

BTW--My mother dated Werner Klemperer during WW2. Thank God she didn't marry him, imagine having the real Col. Klink as your father :shock:

Soc.

The pink is a result from the smoke and is a good thing!

Anybody has a scientific reason why the happens? If not I'll do some research tomorrow, it's basketball time.

My son has eaten the pork 3 days in a row, he's addicted.

Mine still hasn't come yet.  I'm going to be entering a deep, dark depression soon.

Pixelchef, the person at Mail Box Etc said that you should recieve your meat on Thursday. I just should've mailed them via the US Post Office instead of sending it from Canada.

I'm still working on the smoke ring explanation, something about how the proteins interact with the nitrates in the smoke but I'm not buying it just quite yet.

Not that you haven't been told this a kajillion times already Klink, but the brisket is fab. One of these days, when I get some more outdoor space, I'm gonna get a smoker for myself. 'Til then, Klink, I rely on your goodness. :smile: I'm thinkin' pork is next on my list to try. Thanks again!

This kind of explains the pinking:

Which combustion gas (CO, NO, or NO2) causes surface pinking on smoked or gas-oven cooked meat? Answer: Only NO2 (nitrogen dioxide), by way of the Acid Rain Reaction.

2 NO2 (in combustion gas) + H2O (in meat) ---> HNO2 (nitrous acid) + HNO3 (nitric acid)

Meat Curing: HNO2 + Mb (myoglobin in meat) ---> NOMb (pink cured meat pigment)

In commercial practice, sodium nitrite (NaNO2) is the source of nitrous acid:

NaNO2 (curing salt) in water ---> Na+ + NO2- (nitrite ion) ---> HNO2 (in the curing brine)

Thus, we now know that meat curing may occur by exposing meat to NO2 (gas cure) or NaNO2 (salt cure).

Contrary to previous belief, exposing cooked meat to carbon monoxide (CO) or nitric oxide (NO) does not cause pinking. American Indian jerky is thus an ancient method to "gas cure" meat. Knowing this, processors can now better control meat color. For BBQ meats, desirable surface pinking requires burning of wood chips, since a high temperature flame is needed to create NO2 from N2 and O2 in air. To prevent pinking, use a smouldering fire without flame, or in a gas oven, use the new ultra-low NOx burner to keep NO2 < 1 ppm.

Madam X  :wub: and I have been so impressed by the Klinkster's meat that we ordered a smoker like his. 

Thank you! That really makes me proud and definitely warms the cockles of my heart. Honestly, it makes me really happy to spread the gospel of bbq and then spawn disciples.

but I suppose you learn to make BBQ the same way you get to Carnegie hall—practice, practice, practice.

Yup, lots of practice. Just make sure to have a lot of hungry friends. :smile:

I notice the Col. is building a cold smoker;  with the Salmon available in that area I suspect some good Lox will be flyin' around.  Most folks I've met who,do cold smoking seem to prefer converting old refrigerators.  How are you building yours, CK?

I'm building mine out of steel. It's basically going to be 2' x 2' by 30" high. It will use a wood burning stove for hot smoking and I'm going to build a fire pit a couple of yards off and run the exhaust through buried pipes for cold smoking. It'll be totally old school.

I've seen plenty of the refrigerator smokers but I just don't trust having a plastic lining. That and you use a heating plate and wood chips and you end up smoldering the fire instead of actually having a fire. It may be that my smoker won't taste any better than a fridge smoker but I won't know until I actually make it. More work begins this weekend!

BTW--My mother dated Werner Klemperer during WW2.  Thank God she didn't marry him, imagine having the real Col. Klink as your father  :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm building mine out of steel. It's basically going to be 2' x 2' by 30" high. It will use a wood burning stove for hot smoking and I'm going to build a fire pit a couple of yards off and run the exhaust through buried pipes for cold smoking. It'll be totally old school.

Truly old school would be to convert that car, that you have up on blocks in the front of your house, in to a cold smoker. Those old 60's vintage Caddy's had a lot of room. :biggrin:

Seriously, find a refrigerator with a enameled metal interior and gut it.

Soc.

I received my brisket and pork whie I was away. Fortunately, my neighbours who were picking up my mail, had no idea of the delights inside the package. They are both safely stored in my freezer now for eating later this week. Should I just thaw them and eat them cold? Reheat them?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.