• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a one-liner

I was introduced to St John by eGullet and have been a committed fan ever since my first visit. But I find it difficult to describe the cuisine to new people. I'm not crazy about the "nose to tail" soubriquet :blink: (sorry about that, Fergus) because although I obviously see that within the menu, I think St John offers so much more.

So how do you define your food ?

My definition? Straightforward, dour with a little wahey! But also nose to tail also describes a whole holistic approach to everything we do at St. John...nose to tail could refer to carrots, a piece of fish, our bread...without wishing to come across as "new age", it just sums up our approach the most succinctly.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.