• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality Meat Purveyor in Boston or Providence

I use Debraga and Spitler for all my wholesale and much of my speciality meats.

212-924-1311

Not sure where you are,they come out of the city (New York)

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

The original Savenor's, in Cambridge, was made famous by Julia Child who bought her meat there. Years ago I used to shop there, but while the butchering was good and the variety of meats impressive, the owners were so full of shtick that it wasn't worth the bother. I don't know the Savenor's on Charles St., but in that high-rent location, I doubt that they are famous for meat.

Currently the most-respected meat shop in Boston is probably Dewar's on Beacon St. in Newton Centre. They have a wide variety of game and specialty meats as well as dry-aged beef.

I am using any possible avenues to find and buy from specialty meat, dairy, poultry purveyors for the restaurant. We are in Rhode Island but I cannot find much in the way of service and/or dedication from the people I deal with. They seem content selling tenderloins as they would be selling dvd players and generally do not realize there is a difference between the two.

Thank you for the responses so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I don't know the Savenor's on Charles St., but in that high-rent location, I doubt that they are famous for meat. 

I used to work there back in 93-96, and it was quite famous for meat. Julia Child still shopped there, however she rarely came in, even at that time, she was starting to get a little shaky. I don't know about now, but they used to be Prime only, carried a large selection of game meats, and also ran a pretty big wholesale biz to many Boston restaurants.

Of all retail specialty places I have worked (I got out of the biz in 98), Sav's was consistently the best for meats, and specialty grocery. The only stuff from the meat department that was really lacking was the amount of charcuterie. The only had 2 prosciuttos (Parma and Domestic), and not much beyond a couple Italian salami types. The produce was OK, and the cheese was passable, but I have been forever spoiled by the beef and game. I wouldn't eat steak for a year after working there.