• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanger Steak

Ron Johnson

Whats the deal with this? Is it called hangar steak because:

a)Is it a cut of meat?

b) is it a manner of aging? Or

c) is it the way its cooked?

d) something else entirely

I LOVE this steak and order it every place that has it, but I have never seen it at the butcher or supermarket.

Ron, I believe that's it's a cut of beef (although all animals seem to have this). It lies between the kidneys hanging (hence its name) from the spine, dead center on underside of the loin saddle. Between the kidneys, but also between the two tenderloins but beneath the two strip loins. Each cow only has one.

When I used to butch loin saddles of veal there was a smelly piece of meat that I always assumed was the sphincter mussel (I was prolly wrong about this). Anyway it's proximity to the kidneys always gave me pause about saving it and in any event I was told to send it to the fat barrel. This cut was the Hanger.

It's a thickish cut of beef that has a texture and flavor similar to skirt steak (I don't find it as fatty), but I find it less rich tasting, though very flavorful. It can be tough and stringy, so I tend to give it the once over with a Jacquard machine (meat tenderizer consisting of an array of fine needles) before cooking it. My opinion is that while tasty, I feel it is a bit over-rated. Purely personal taste on my part.

Nick

It is also very cheap! My butcher said the same thing about the location as Nick, there is only one per animal because it hangs right under the spine. Make sure you don't overcook it or it turns to strings.

Edit: It is also known as butchers steak some places because the butcher would take it home for hisself

Edited by guajolote (log)

I always find it minerally/livery tasting, and rarely beefy tasting.  I have never found it tough, but it does tend to striate into stringy pieces along its grain.  Its great with bearnaise and frites and a Cote Rotie!

yeah, very organ-y. most often it's marinated in something salty and sweet. mmmm.

even skirt steak is organ-y. love it.

Hangar steak is, indeed, a cut of meat. If I'm not mistaken it is also known as the "butcher's cut" because typically the butcher saves it for himself. And, in so doing said butcher is not severely impacting his shop's (in the old days) bottom line or profitability. No owner/butcher would, say, take home a couple of 10 oz. filets or 12 oz. strips.

Hangar steak had texture and good flavor so his family was happy... didn't "force" flank steak on them.

Now, of course, most butchers are salaried and pay for what they take. Typical chain-grocery butcher is trimming not really butchering a side of beef any longer.

Bob Sherwood

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

It's hanger, not hangar, and it's the same cut as the onglet found in French bistros. Also known as hanging tender, butcher's steak and butcher's tenderloin (for the reason fyfas mentions).

Perhaps because it's so fibrous, it takes a marinade better than closer-grained cuts of beef. I grill it over high heat, leaving it quite rare inside. Good stuff.

It's hanger, not hangar, and it's the same cut as the onglet found in French bistros. Also known as hanging tender, butcher's steak and butcher's tenderloin (for the reason fyfas mentions).

Perhaps because it's so fibrous, it takes a marinade better than closer-grained cuts of beef.  I grill it over high heat, leaving it quite rare inside.  Good stuff.

I've seen it spelled both ways in the first two cookbooks I pulled off the shelf. :unsure:

Cookbooks are not infallible.

Oh...my...god...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

:laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lock and load, ivan.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It's hanger, not hangar

Almost everywhere I have looked it is spelled both hangar and hanger. Les Halles had hangar. FoodTV had hanger. :unsure:

It's called a hanger steak because of where it's situated in the animal.

Hangars are for airplanes.

I love hanger steak, and fortunately we live near a specialty store that usually has it available. Seared rare and sliced on the diagonal, yum yum. Sometimes I fancy it up by serving it with a little knob of butter and roquefort but usually we just sprinkle on a little fleur de sel. Now I know what I'm making for dinner Saturday night........

My daughter went through a phase where she watched Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals every day after school. I find her insufferable -- Ray, not my daughter (well usually not :smile: ) -- but I guess it's better than those stupid teenager reality tv shows.