• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dinner in Wayne?

tom in sf

Definitely Hunan Cottage on Route 46 in nearby Fairfield, which we have discussed on the site before. Serious Shanghainese style food, but ask for the "chinese" menu. Definitely different from what you are used to in SF with the abundance of Cantonese there.

There is also a Moroccan place on 46, I think Marakesh its called, that has a set menu that is pretty good, which we've been to a few times. Only go if you REALLY know the people you are going with though as you eat with your hands.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For decent bar-type food, steaks, pasta, I'd add Grasshopper's II in Mountain View, on US 202 adjacent to the train station. About one minute off NJ 23

I'm drawing a blank on higher end places in Wayne, other than the place that used to be the Paris Inn (Alps road), and the place on Hamburg Turnpike that had OK food but incredibly dreary atmosphere.

Is the Swabishce Alpen in Lincoln Park still around? Is that the german place Tommy might have ben recalling?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Marakesh is also a little far from Wayne. The restaurants Rosie listed are all pretty close the the malls, but Parsippany is at least a 25 minute drive. I'd call them on the BYO charge if they tried to charge me, but last time we were there, they didn't allow any liquor to be brought in.

Wayne is pretty much a restaurant "desert" except for unmemorable storefront Italian/Red Sauce and Ethnics. Take a short ride to Cedar Grove to Il Tulipano, or a 15-18 minute ride to Montclair, where good restaurants abound.

A not-too-expensive very good place is Orbis Bistro in Upper Montclair, about 12 miles from Wayne. Very creative food, reasonable pricing. BYOB.

Orbis Bistro

128 Watchung Avenue

Upper Montclair

973-746-7641

Check out their menu here: Orbis Bistro

Orbis is very nice.

In the same price range, and around the corner, is La Coronuta (?). On the circle in front of the train station. Figure 20-23 a head.

Both are, as you noted, another 15 minutes down the road from Wayne.

It's curious. Wayne is a moderately affluent place, with pockets of opulence, but nary a showplace restaurant. Even with the corporate HQs in the area, and lots of business people, no real bedrock of restaurants. This contrasts with Madison and Chatham, which are overflowing with good, reasonably priced places.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

...I'm drawing a blank on higher end places in Wayne, other than the place that used to be the Paris Inn (Alps road), and the place on Hamburg Turnpike that had OK food but incredibly dreary atmosphere.

Is the Swabishce Alpen in Lincoln Park still around? Is that the german place Tommy might have ben recalling?

I'm not sure, but I think that the Paris Inn is still there, no? Actually, I haven't driven through that area in a while so it may not be. In any case, just the look of that place always made me keep driving.

The German place that Tommy's recalling is probably Triangle Hofbrau on Route 23 South. I remember the atmosphere being amusing, but I never felt a real need to rush back there. What sort of time frame was this Swabische Alpen place around?

I'm definitely blanking on places where I'd want to eat within the borders of Wayne. The only one I can think of right now is the Taipei Noodle House that Rosie mentioned. I'm going to try it the next time I'm in the area (which isn't often), so I can't really recommend it yet.

You're better off in Montclair. Try doing a search for Montclair in this forum and see what comes up. Also, Franklin Lakes isn't that far away either, so maybe that Chef's Table (French) place I've been hearing about? Or possibly Ruga (Italian) in Oakland (haven't been as I'm not huge on Italian food, but I've heard some good things).

THE ONLY PLACE LEFT IN OR AROUND WAYNE THAT IS ANY GOOD IS ROSEMARY AND SAGE IN RIVERDALE. THEY ARE A FRENCH/AMERCAN BLEND.

THE COUPLE THAT OWNS IT FIRST OWNED PARK 111 IN RIDGEWOOD, THEN MOVED BACK TO RIVERDALE TO BUY WHAT USED TO BE THE RIVERDALE CAFE, THE RESTAURANT THAT THEY FIRST RAN FOR SOMEBODY ELSE. ALSO THEY ARE THE REST. THAT SPAWNED ANDRE'S IN SPARTA. HE WAS THEIR SOUS CHEF FOR YEARS. AND, YES, WAYNE IS A RESTAURANT WASTELAND. PARIS INN,DUMP, I THINK THE GERMEN PLACE BEING THOUGHT OF IS BERTA'S CHATEAU, DUMP.

THE ONLY PLACE LEFT IN OR AROUND WAYNE THAT IS ANY GOOD IS ROSEMARY AND SAGE IN RIVERDALE. THEY ARE A FRENCH/AMERCAN BLEND....... PARIS INN,DUMP, I THINK THE GERMEN PLACE BEING THOUGHT OF IS BERTA'S CHATEAU, DUMP.

I considered Rosemary & Sage, but felt it might be above the "modest" price range. I've been there twice, and found it to run about $75-90 a head or so.

Berta's Chateau is in Ringwood or Wanaque, close enough, I guess. Soembody (Rosie, perhaps?) liked it a few months back

rancho gordo

Berta's Chateau is in Wanque. I was there twice. Once for a wine dinner which was excellent. The second time we went for dinner and it was fine. Lots of food. Some items were better than others. But there are better places to dine at. I would certainly go back to their special wine dinners tho. The restaurant needs to be spruced up. It has that old 50's look.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE