• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail order chocolates

seawakim

I'm looking for reliable sources of reputable mail order gourmet chocolates. Something other than Godiva, Bernard C., Neuhaus and the usual suspects.

Can anyone help?

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I would also recommend:

La Maison du Chocolate's online boutique (this would be my number one pick)

Payard (although the site seems to be messed up at this time)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

They may not look fancy or "gourmet", but See's chocolates are scrumptious. The ingredients they use (butter, cream, fresh nuts) are top-notch and the candies are just simply yummy. Our department gets lots of candy assortments from vendors around the holidays and the See's collections always go before the Godiva. But then again, the vendors aren't sending us Maison du Chocolat..................

edited for url

Edited by bushey (log)

This isn't chocolates, per se, however, the fudge from the Briggitine Monastery is truly AWESOME. I have given this as a gift and always gotten raves for it.

Briggitine Monastery Fudge

Have fun! This stuff is way off my diet... :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The following site is in German, but lists literally hundreds of makers alphabetically and by country. Once you click on any of the names, their webste in turn will be listed, and is now ready for clicking on:

http://www.theobroma-cacao.de/land/alphlis...euebersicht.htm

And the following site is all in English and even lists a manufacture in China. Enjoy.

http://mujweb.atlas.cz/www/chocolate/enlinks1.htm

Peter

Rachel and I received some nice chocolate-covered strawberries as a Valentines Day gift from my brother and sister-in-law in Atlanta:

The box, opened

chocstrawberries.jpg

The box, closed

strawberrybox.jpg

They were very large, fresh as can be specimens with pretty good chocolate on them.

They come from Shari's Berries (click)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I ordered Katie a chocolate assortment from Le Maison du Chocolat and it arrived in the nick of time! Oh man, that is great stuff. Great rec FG! So far we have tried: Plain Dark Ganache, Ganache w/ rasberry puree, dark chocolate covered praline, fresh coffee ganache, and caramelized butter ganache.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Too late for this Valentines Day, but Bissingers is another good choice. Besides some of the standards, they specialize in chocolate covered fresh fruit, e.g. raspberries.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Godiva chocolates made in the US are not of the same quality as those made in Belgium. Those rushing off to Belgium to invest in Belgian Godiva chocolates should also be aware that although superior to American Godiva, the Belgian brand is only regarded as so so among commercial Belgian chocolates. For my money, Pierre Marcolini has the best chocolates in Belgium, but I have not tried every chocolatier. Nevertheless, his must be sampled if one is serious about very fine chocolate. Admittedly, his style may be seen as a cross between French and Belgian styles. Unfortunately, his chocolates are not available by mail. Neither are those of Bernachon in Lyon, who is also a must for the serious student of chocolate.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

For my money, Pierre Marcolini has the best chocolates in Belgium, but I have not tried every chocolatier. Nevertheless, his must be sampled if one is serious about very fine chocolate. Admittedly, his style may be seen as a cross between French and Belgian styles. Unfortunately, his chocolates are not available by mail.

I wholeheartedly agree with your Godiva statement. I also think Marcolini's pralines are outstanding. I stopped by the Antwerp location and loved tasting the flavors of cacao from around the world. His chocolates are truly unique in style.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

This isn't chocolates, per se, however, the fudge from the Briggitine Monastery is truly AWESOME.  I have given this as a gift and always gotten raves for it.

Briggitine Monastery Fudge

Have fun!  This stuff is way off my diet... :sad:

Fudge, like hand squeezed lemonade and black forrest cake, is one of those things I always try and am always disappointed. But as this fudge rated a capitalized and bold face AWESOME and as it is made by genuine monks I had to order some in.

Just arrived and, yep, it's AWESOME.

Alas, as it's also way off my diet, I'm giving most of it away,

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I personally have never liked fudge of any type, but with all these boldfaced capital lettered awesomes flying around I may have to try this fudge. :smile: I usually enjoy chocolate in a more delicate format, but I have a friend who is a fudge fanatic and would love to order these for her. However she is allergic to some things. Are the ingredients for the fudge listed on the box? If they are, can you please post them?

Edited by seawakim (log)