• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ridiculous Recipe Reviews

Tropicalsenior

I'm sure we've all seen them. People that don't follow the recipe and then blame the recipe for their failure. I read one this morning that I think kind of tops of chart. It was a review of a recipe called Sirloin Tips with Mushrooms.

"This turned out badly. Instead of beef I used chicken. Instead of mushrooms I used canned artichokes. Instead of garlic I used minced onions and added celery. Instead of tomato sauce I used ketchup with a dash of soy sauce. Instead of red wine I used sweet rose. What a terrible recipe."

Have you seen any reviews lately that tickled your funny bone?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm sure we've all seen them. People that don't follow the recipe and then blame the recipe for their failure. I read one this morning that I think kind of tops of chart. It was a review of a recipe called Sirloin Tips with Mushrooms.

"This turned out badly. Instead of beef I used chicken. Instead of mushrooms I used canned artichokes. Instead of garlic I used minced onions and added celery. Instead of tomato sauce I used ketchup with a dash of soy sauce. Instead of red wine I used sweet rose. What a terrible recipe."

Have you seen any reviews lately that tickled your funny bone?

Looks to me that the person was being intentionally humorous.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Almost certainly. There are dozens of very similar examples on the internet.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Possibly but I had a friend that was just that dumb. One time that I shared a recipe with her, she changed everything in it except the fact that she had gotten it from me and then claimed that I have given her a horrible recipe. It was the last time I ever gave her a recipe.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Possibly but I had a friend that was just that dumb. One time that I shared a recipe with her, she changed everything in it except the fact that she had gotten it from me and then claimed that I have given her a horrible recipe. It was the last time I ever gave her a recipe.

👍