• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which cheap wine for bourgignon?

It's my understanding that "cooking wine" usually (always?) contains salt and possibly other ingredients.  The ingredients in the Cab are de-alcoholised wine from concentrate, Cabernet Sauvignon (40%), salt, preservative (Potassium Metabisulfite).  The red cooking wine has the same ingredients except for some generic red wine instead of the cab.  To answer your question, I doubt that there'd be much, if any, noticeable difference between the two.

If possible, I'd suggest using some regular, inexpensive, red wine and stay away from cooking wine.  The general rule is that if you can't/won't drink the wine, you shouldn't cook with it. For most people, salted wine is undrinkable.

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... Shel

5 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I'd suggest using some regular, inexpensive, red wine and stay away from cooking wine.  The general rule is that if you can't/won't drink the wine, you shouldn't cook with it.

Yes, this, absolutely. 

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

A number of renowned chefs and food professionals have spoke out against the 'only cook with wine you'd drink' mantra.

Should You Really Only Cook With Wine You'd Drink? (seriouseats.com)

I would also note that salted wine is mainly a North American thing, not universal. It seems to be a result of licencing laws in some territories and is done to make it undrinkable so that it can be sold in unlicensed premises.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Susanwusan said:

A little change in topic, what does MK followed by a number mean with regard to bread?

I believe it is the kosher certification number for the Vaad Ha'ir or Jewish Community Council of Montreal. I don't kmow where you are so, if you're nowhere 'Montreal of even Canada, please ignore this.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto