• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Freezer Dump" Crockpot Meal Kits

MaryIsobel

Quick back story - a good friend of mine from my working days is suffering from some major health issues, one of which is excruciating back pain which makes standing for more than 2 or 3 minutes impossible. She lives with her sister who also has health problems, along with dimentia. They live in an apartment with only an apartment size fridge freezer. 

I have never been a fan of the crockpot but before she got sick, she used hers quite a bit. In looking for ideas, I came across "freezer dump" crockpot meals. Lovely name eh? Anyway, the idea is that you put a bunch of raw ingredients in freezer bags and freeze them. Thaw a bag overnight in the fridge and "dump" it in a crockpot in the morning. Seems doable for her. I shopped for whatever I needed yesterday, and this morning I started at about 10:00 and before noon, had 7 meals ready for the freezer. I just have to cook some rice (to which I will add frozen chopped broccoli) to freeze along with the chicken teryaki. I'll keep one bag of the stuffed pepper soup to try myself. Stapled to the soup bag is rice to add near the end of cooking and I kept the tortellini separate from the sauce so that it can be added after a couple of hours. I've made a document with instructions for each meal.

dump meals - 1.jpeg

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

Very kind of you!

It's my pleasure. She is the strongest woman I have ever met. Life seems determined to knock her down, but she goes throughit all with a smile and a positive attitude.