• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wanted - yummy katsu curry recipe

Susanwusan

I made the cubes yesterday though mine are 8 blobs of about 1 tablespoon each.  I made the roux first then added the spices which I had mixed together.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I made the cubes yesterday though mine are 8 blobs of about 1 tablespoon each.  I made the roux first then added the spices which I had mixed together.

Which recipe did you use?

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The one @weinoo linked to in the third post on this topic.

That's the one that I am planning on using. I'm surprised that it had such a small yield. Are you planning to make Katsu curry with it?

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That's the one that I am planning on using. I'm surprised that it had such a small yield. Are you planning to make Katsu curry with it?

I'm making something called Japanese curry.  I can't remember where I got the recipe from but we like it.  It will be made with chicken tonight.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I sent you a PM

• Thanks 1

I make that curry brick recipe in a double quantity. I also find that I don't need as much of the curry brick as the recipes call for, but as with everything, try it and see how you like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Here's a Japanese chicken curry, probably using 1/2 to 2/3 the amount of brick called for...

CurryriceJapanese10-26.thumb.jpeg.5e41c74f5378458c8eeb546cf56395a4.jpeg

Plated, over rice...

CurryriceJapaneseplated10-26.thumb.jpeg.99f67274b4c15bdac29dfa9fb5199c2b.jpeg

That's tonight's dinner coming up shortly.  I cook for 2 so I scale recipes down.  For tonight's dinner I'm using two of my new blocks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo

would you please share that Rx .

Im trying to get the idea of ingredients , before the curry // roux .

thanks

Sure @rotuts! Here's the general outline that I followed the first time or two I made the curry...https://www.justonecookbook.com/simple-chicken-curry/

Everything is pretty much open to interpretation.  I like using mushrooms in the stew, and I evidently used red bells in the above picture, along with red onion (because that was probably what I had on hand).  Also, you can punch up the curry flavor with a little more curry powder, spice it up with more cayenne, etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Posted (edited)

Well, I did it.

20240605_185843.thumb.jpg.2eeddcb7c20834f98c03010d3269b9b2.jpg

It turned up to be quite a journey from making both the Japanese curry powder and making up some fresh garam masala to making the Japanese Curry Roux to making the katsu curry today. There are a couple things that I would change like cutting the vegetables bigger and perhaps the next time I won't let the roux get quite as dark as I did before I add the spices. Other than that it was delicious and I would recommend the recipe to anyone.

And the really great thing is that I have enough roux for three more meals.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1