• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasoning a nonstick skillet

Shel_B

I saw this done on an America's Test Kitchen video and tried it on one of my older skillets. It seems to work, although I want to see what happens over a longer time frame.

I didn't see any mention of how often this should be done. Does anyone have experience with this technique?

How to Season a Nonstick Skillet
    1. Ensure that your skillet is clean and dry.
    2. Place the skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds.
    3. Apply a small amount of canola or vegetable oil to the skillet. Using a folded paper towel or cloth, rub the oil across the entire surface of the skillet.
    4. Turn off the heat, let the skillet cool, and then wipe out any excess oil.

• Like 1

... Shel

I have always followed these directions when I buy a new non-stick skillet, but honestly, a non-stick skillet seems like it shouldn't need this. I've never had one stop being non-stick. I pitch them when they get scratched up because they say they are not safe to use at that point--usually 2-3 years for me.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

this technique does not season  NS skillet in the usual and ciustomary sense of ' season '

ie a build up of player that increases the non stick quality of a pan.

any oil left after this application will be washed off soap and water surely.

however , its mentioned that w each use of a NS pan , the non stick qualities increase

w the application of a few drops of oil that you wipe around the pan , removing what sticks to your paper towel

or cloth. thus leaving a very very thin film of oil in the pan.

I have not seen any studies that quantified this effect  in NS pans w or w/o the oil.

if they exist Id like to se them.

sometimes ATK  does a little bait and switch 

maybe here or maybe not.  the oil you add washes off if you wash the pan properly.

if you choose to just wipe the pan out and not wash it

any oil left will surely oxidize , which is not the same as polymerize.

• Like 2

I would not do this. If you did actually create a "seasoning" layer as you would on steel or cast iron, it would probably make the teflon stickier. 

That seasoning is made from polymerized and carbonized oils. If you get actually get the oil hot enough to carbonize, you'll start breaking down the teflon, ruining its qualities and creating toxic particulates. And if you don't, you'll make the pan sticky. Either way, that polymer layer will be tough enough that there's not much you could do to remove it that wouldn't wreck the teflon coating.

If you don't heat it enough to even polymerize it ... then you just have an oily pan. You should probably wash it, otherwise it WILL polymerize next time you preheat it. 

Makes no damn sense. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 2/21/2024 at 7:03 PM, paulraphael said:

I would not do this. If you did actually create a "seasoning" layer as you would on steel or cast iron, it would probably make the teflon stickier. 

That seasoning is made from polymerized and carbonized oils. If you get actually get the oil hot enough to carbonize, you'll start breaking down the teflon, ruining its qualities and creating toxic particulates. And if you don't, you'll make the pan sticky. Either way, that polymer layer will be tough enough that there's not much you could do to remove it that wouldn't wreck the teflon coating.

If you don't heat it enough to even polymerize it ... then you just have an oily pan. You should probably wash it, otherwise it WILL polymerize next time you preheat it. 

Makes no damn sense. 

This is all 100% true.  Let me add that the PTFE that is breaking down from "seasoning" will be impossible to fully clean.  Trying to do so through repeated vinegar or baking soda boilings will void some warranties, as I've learned to my dismay.  Swiss Diamond is one.

• Like 3

Even if you could theoretically somehow season a nonstick pan, wouldn't that defeat the purpose because the resulting surface would only be as nonstick as a cast iron pan, which is less nonstick than PTFE?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gastropod said:

wouldn't that defeat the purpose

Good point, but I think the only purpose of "seasoning" the PTFE is that it's no longer very nonstick.

Frankly, a well-seasoned cast iron pan can be less sticky than a half-worn out PTFE one.

8 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

Good point, but I think the only purpose of "seasoning" the PTFE is that it's no longer very nonstick.

Frankly, a well-seasoned cast iron pan can be less sticky than a half-worn out PTFE one.

I guess that would be useful if you only have worn nonstick pans available for whatever reason.

Personally I agree with AlaMoi that if you're going to use nonstick pans,  it makes the most sense to just buy a cheap one and plan on replacing it as soon as it starts to wear out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gastropod said:

it makes the most sense to just buy a cheap one and plan on replacing it

Maybe the best argument is that if you're going to dance with the Devil by using PTFE at all, you can make a seasoned pan last a little longer, and delay more pollution.

years back . . . a Teflon pan developed a brown coating, that was not non-stick, and would not come off, using all/any of "the tricks"

by accident I came across an article that described the problem - and its cause.....

lecithin.

it is an emulsifier - very commonly used in "cooking sprays" - PAM and the like . . .

it sticks to PTFE and cannot be removed except by grinding.

okay , , , so why do people use a cooking spray on a non-stick pan!!?

ans:  because it starts sticking.

I always have a non-stick pan on hand for when "it really has to be non-stick"

but my favorite non-stick is a pre-1920's era Griswold.  coming in second and improving all the time . . . .

Darto black iron/steel pan(s)

I love my old Bourgeat copper/stainless for heat control - and the Zwilling Aurora series is super aluminum stuff.

so basically for every season there is a pan.

wait . . . or is that for every pan there is a seasoning . . . ???

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 10:49 AM, AlaMoi said:

an article that described the problem - and its cause.....

lecithin.

You are correct that this compound is Kryptonite to PTFE.  It will also cling tenaciously to other linings.

I stopped using sprays using lecithin as soon as th pure vegetable/olive sprays came available.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I'm baffled by the idea of seasoning a non-stick pan. To me, non-stick pan means chemically coated. Not carbon steel or cast iron which does require a little effort to season, develops a "non-stick" surface with proper use and which last a lifetime if taken care of.

Typically I buy one relatively inexpensive non-stick pan every few years. I don't use it very often, maybe only for eggs or delicate fish, etc.. Before it gets disgusting or appears beyond its usefulness I toss it and buy another.I really dislike this habit since it is so wasteful, but  I thought the whole idea of so-called commercial "non-stick pans," whether they be teflon or newer types of coating, was that they were cheap, and for a while actually non-stick without needing any fuss beyond a simple washing out. I use stainless steel or enamel coated dutch ovens for soups and sauces and anything very acidic, reserving my steel and cast iron for the many tasks that serve them best. 

• Like 1