• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

31 minutes ago, Dejah said:

might have to make my own sauce next time as the can was $6.99.

This is the recipe for enchilada sauce that I have used for years. Although the recipe calls for making it in a skillet, I often make it in the microwave. If you don't have the New Mexican chili powder, any good chili powder will work. I also sometimes add sour cream to it for a richer flavor.

Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce

A super speedy enchilada sauce with a truly authentic taste.

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1-1/2 cups water

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion salt

salt to taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

23 minutes ago, Dejah said:

might have to make my own sauce next time as the can was $6.99.

This is the recipe for enchilada sauce that I have used for years. Although the recipe calls for making it in a skillet, I often make it in the microwave. If you don't have the New Mexican chili powder, any good chili powder will work. I also sometimes and sour cream to it for a richer flavor.

Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce

A super speedy enchilada sauce with a truly authentic taste.

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1-1/2 cups water

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion salt

salt to taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.