• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tempest63

Tempest63

I had a selection of sausages made in the local butchers sitting in the freezer and realised I needed to use them. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago with Toulouse sausages https://www.cottagesmallholder.com/recipe-for-sausages-baked-on-a-nest-of-cannellini-beans-hot-smoked-garlic-and-bacon-7901/ but without the hot smoked garlic.

We found the finished dish dry, but it had promise.

I tried it again today using a whole 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, including the tomato juice, a cup of supermarket bought crispy fried onions, a sprinkle of asafoetida, a sprinkle of ground black pepper, some chopped sage leaves fresh out of the garden and half a cup of water. I had the smoked garlic, but rather than put it in whole, I peeled it and mixed the individual cloves in. It looked like this when prepped for the oven.

IMG_1387.jpeg.c21d8a2d8e7bae14fea2d41827f06134.jpeg

The result was much better than my first attempt. Cooked with wild boar sausages, the flavour was fuller, the dish much more moist. I cooked it in a fan oven at 180C for the first 25 minutes but found the sausages were not browning as much as was expected. After turning the sausages I put it back in for a further 20 minutes at Fan 190C. 
I will experiment a little further with this quick, cheap and cheerful dish, but I am happy with the progress so far.

IMG_1388.thumb.jpeg.efb77282c33e54421158942d77527d71.jpeg

Tempest63

Tempest63

I had a selection of sausages made in the local butchers sitting in the freezer and realised I needed to use them. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago with Toulouse sausages https://www.cottagesmallholder.com/recipe-for-sausages-baked-on-a-nest-of-cannellini-beans-hot-smoked-garlic-and-bacon-7901/ but without the hot smoked garlic.

I tried it again today using a whole 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, including the tomato juice, a cup of supermarket bought crispy fried onions, a sprinkle of asafoetida, a sprinkle of ground black pepper, some chopped sage leaves fresh out of the garden and half a cup of water. I had the smoked garlic, but rather than put it in whole, I peeled it dropped the individual cloves in. It looked like this when prepped for the oven.

The result was much better than my first attempt. Cooked with wild boar sausages, the flavour was fuller, the dish much more moist. I cooked it in a fan oven at 180C for the first 25 minutes but found the sausages were not browning as much as was expected. After turning the sausages I put it back in for a further 20 minutes at Fan 190C. 
I will experiment a little further with this quick, cheap and cheerful dish, but I am happy with the progress so far.

Tempest63

Tempest63

I tried it again today using a whole 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, a cup of supermarket bought crispy fried onions, a sprinkle of asafoetida, a sprinkle of ground black pepper, some chopped sage leaves fresh out of the garden and half a cup of water. I had the smoked garlic, but rather than put it in whole, I peeled it dropped the individual cloves in. It looked like this when prepped for the oven.

Tempest63

Tempest63

I tried it again today using a whole 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, a cup of supermarket bought crispy fried onions, a sprinkle of asafoetida, a sprinkle of ground black pepper, some chopped sage leaves fresh out of the garden and half a cup of water. I had the smoked garlic, but rather than put it in whole, I peeled it dropped the individual cloves in. It looked like this when prepped for the oven.

The result was much better than my first attempt. Flavour was fuller, the dish much more moist. I cooked it in a fan oven at 180C for the first 25 minutes but found the sausages were not browning as much as was expected. After turning the sausages I put it back in for a further 20 minutes at Fan 190C.