• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How fine can the Kitchenaid slicer attachment slice?

chef koo

I was looking at purchasing a green onion slier, but they're about $700. The Kitchenaid slicer attachment is only $70 on Amazon.

My concerns are whether it can slice thinly enough.

My other concern was if it'll crush the green onion instead of slicing it. Is the blade sharp/angled enough to get a clean cut?

Edited by chef koo (log)

bork bork bork

This? 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/kitchenaid-ksmvsa-fresh-prep-slicer-shredder-attachment/519KSMVSA.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwoqGnBhAcEiwAwK-OkWkLOmYfPBJ-KdcYvB7xA0LwBlPV2pJIwNUcuQQ2MO_N16xm3JhPRhoC4A0QAvD_BwE

The slicing blade is 3mm.  I'm sure it's plenty sharp out of the box ...  

I think a food processor with slicing blade would have much higher RPM and therefore be much faster.  Cuisinart has 2 or 4mm slicing discs or an adjustable one.

I have zero experience with this product but it looks like it would beat-up the green onions as much as slicing them, esp after the knife dulls.

Given the small volume of the unit and the need for clean-up, I wonder if a knife would be faster

• Like 2

I once watched a young apprentice cook in a large restaurant being taught to slice green onions here in China. She was given sacks of the things, and the head chef demonstrated exactly the size of slice and angle of cut he wanted. She then sliced those tons of onions to his satisfaction. Chinese restaurants use more green onions a day than most people can imagine. Guess what the chef and apprentice both used (and still use).

caidao.thumb.jpg.8f5063c1a436a402e6e497241c4f6702.jpg

Standard practice.

Why anyone would use a dedicated machine in a restaurant, never mind a domestic situation beats me.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Perhaps a lack of these?

If they can't afford an apprentice cook, they are unlikely to be able to afford a dedicated onion cutting machine, if such a thing even exists. but the OP appears to want such a thing in a home kitchen.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I think a food processor with slicing blade would have much higher RPM and therefore be much faster.  Cuisinart has 2 or 4mm slicing discs or an adjustable one.

Some volume of food gets completely mis-sliced. The machine (mine is a Cuisinart) is very fast and the food does not move evenly through the feed  tube.

• Like 2

If I were in the market, I'd certainly be wanting this:

image.png.10c91e572f9ac0ac42e082cb744c132c.png

From RamenTool.

Please insert pre-cut green onions. It will make round cuts automatically.

A dedicated blade sharpener is included as standard. You can sharpen blade when you needed.

Adjustable thickness, between 1~5mm

This one:

image.thumb.png.9ff2ee67ca3f60eaecc84fe9745d7c65.png

Is manual, and a heckuva lot cheaper. They have various styles of green onion cutters:   Chiba Kogyosyo

If all else fails:

image.thumb.png.e02b1f48aba183ab5573e8ad69fc85d3.png

$5.00!!  Temu's Manual Scallion Slicer

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

some of those green onions just have been 

grown specifically for the white part.

never seen that before 

a bit like what one might do growing leeks 

for an extended white portions.

17 minutes ago, chef koo said:

@Weinoo yah I saw those. That's what I was ttrying to avoid. They're suer expensive, and I'm operating a restaurant in a super remote region, so if it breaks down, I'm toast!

There is probably very little in between the super cheap and super expensive. Especially stuff which works properly.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?