• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Significant firsts in the kitchen

26 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I bought a beautiful bunch of Basil yesterday. Do you have a recipe?

Yes, I'll PM it to you.  

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

Two more significant firsts today...well, no doubt no big deal for others... but important firsts for me.  Corn Chowder and Tomato Basil Soups.  The Corn Chowder is good, but the Tomato soup is out of this world.  

Hope you will share your recipe for the "out of this world tomato soup!" I've made it a lot of times, but never found one that said "this is the only tomato soup I will make from now on!"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

but never found one that said "this is the only tomato soup I will make from now on!"

If you do see it don't trust it! I saw one the other day that said this and it was a can of diced tomatoes and a can of pizza sauce. Obviously they've never had good tomato soup.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

The frozen pie shell I was going to use for my queice (sp) tonight was in pieces. After a failed attempt to buy another I, for the first time, made butter and flour pie dough, even rubbing the flour into the butter.  It's only the second time I've rubbed flour into butter;that was for a biscuit recipe. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 3 weeks later...

This topic just popped up in the 'Similar Content' section and this is quite fortuitous.  Peeled my first tomato (Kumato, thanks @ElsieD) for lunch today.  Martha Stewart is always there to give useful advice.  Bacon and tomato sandwich...yum...

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

40 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Using a peeler (and if so, what kind) or boiling water?

Martha Stewart's instructions: 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This thread brought up a particular memory. Back in college days I invited a very dear high school frend for a dinner, picked her up, cooked baked creppes filled with smoked chicken breast and some hungarian cheese (the cheese was in red cling film with a picture of camel on it) in front of her. We had a most memorale evening incl. she suggesting they should be rolled like stuffed cabbage rolls, which I have never done in my life so she taught me to do it and helped me with it. Of course, the dessert was leftover creppes with whatever filling we found- we had both chocolate syrup bought for the occassion and homemade plum jam.

Did I mention that I had never cooked a single dish prior to that? Or that I have never tasted, or even heard of such a dish in my life (or since)? I had concocted is thinking it would be something she'd like (and she said she did- out of politeness or really I don't know, but I did like them and I'm fussy about food). And then I never cooked a single thing for almost a quarter of the century.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

10 hours ago, Wolf said:

This thread brought up a particular memory. Back in college days I invited a very dear high school frend for a dinner, picked her up, cooked baked creppes filled with smoked chicken breast and some hungarian cheese (the cheese was in red cling film with a picture of camel on it) in front of her. We had a most memorale evening incl. she suggesting they should be rolled like stuffed cabbage rolls, which I have never done in my life so she taught me to do it and helped me with it. Of course, the dessert was leftover creppes with whatever filling we found- we had both chocolate syrup bought for the occassion and homemade plum jam.

Did I mention that I had never cooked a single dish prior to that? Or that I have never tasted, or even heard of such a dish in my life (or since)? I had concocted is thinking it would be something she'd like (and she said she did- out of politeness or really I don't know, but I did like them and I'm fussy about food). And then I never cooked a single thing for almost a quarter of the century.

Good heavens!!!

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, I finally did it.  Made French Fries in the air fryer which I have now owned for at least a quarter of a year without using.  Even our son Ken used the air fryer which he was here last summer.  

So this morning, I bit the bullet and in they went.  And so disappointing they were.  No crisp at all.  Until I realized that the air fryer was tripping the circuit breaker.  

Moved the machine.  Plugged it in again.  Reset the controls.  Etc.  And voilà ...  French Fries...and for breakfast too.  ❤️

* Oh, make that at least half a year owned and not used.  

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.