• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A week in North Sulawesi, Indonesia

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

I think the farmers of America appreciate your honesty and care  -pestations are a huge problem. So no adorable USDA sniffer beagles in their green vests vetting your luggage at arrivals?  I live in an agricutural state and crossing California border is an inspection situation.  Looking forward to seeing you use your bounty.

Yeah, I understand and have great respect for what the people at CBP do.  I didn't see any CBP dogs on this trip, but I have definitely seen them in the past.  Many years ago, coming home from Thailand, they were there, and their handlers were mainly taking them towards a lot of the older Thai ladies - Aunties and Grandmas who just happen to be bringing home 2 suitcases full of chillies and who knows what else!  The dog got excited near me because I had a bag of cashews in my carry-on that I actually had brought from home as an emergency snack either for the plane or hotel room (I'd hate to see their carbon footprint!!!) but the agent took one look at them and moved on.  Even if I had brought them from Thailand, nuts that have been roasted are allowable.

From what I gather, right now there are several viruses worldwide that could be hiding in chilli and tomato plants - which is why they're temporarily not allowing any plant parts in without certs or hard-core inspection at a USDA location (not just a window at the airport).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party as I've been off grid for a week fishing and hiking. Slowly working my way through a week's worth of posts.

As always a fascinating trip. I've gotten through page 1 and will finish when I have some spare time later this evening (lots of gardening and chores to catch up on).

Great photography of both place and food.

• Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Late to the party as I've been off grid for a week fishing and hiking. Slowly working my way through a week's worth of posts.

As always a fascinating trip. I've gotten through page 1 and will finish when I have some spare time later this evening (lots of gardening and chores to catch up on).

Great photography of both place and food.

@KennethT has a knack for planning some great trips, which include amazing grub, equally if not better views and somehow (sadly)....always a side order of some virus or bacteria malady.

Hope you both rebound for the remainder of the trip.  Echoing thanks again for taking us along for the journey.  How did I not know you had a blog!?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@KennethT has a knack for planning some great trips, which include amazing grub, equally if not better views and somehow (sadly)....always a side order of some virus or bacteria malady.

Hope you both rebound for the remainder of the trip.  Echoing thanks again for taking us along for the journey.  How did I not know you had a blog!?

Thanks.  Yeah, unfortunately we're 2 for 2 of our most recent trips for getting sick!  However, I will add that I am pretty sure that when we were sick in Penang over Christmas, we actually brought it with us from home so I don't know if that counts...

But there is no remainder of the trip - we've been home now for about a week.  Like all of our trips, it's way too short!  I'm back to normal, or maybe 95% and my wife is getting back too.  Last night was the first time we considered eating anything with any kind of flavor!  Hopefully I'll be able to get back to cooking soon, but jet lag is still kicking my butt a bit, so between work and trying to go to bed early, we're just ordering in this week.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2023 at 12:39 PM, liuzhou said:

Ginger is prescribed by the TCM wallahs for gut problems.

I've found it effective in the past.

I am just catching up on this wonderful blog but this post caught my eye.  Re: ginger tea - do you just cut off say a 1/2" piece of fresh ginger and steep it in a mug of hot water?  I've been having stomach issues and I would like to try it.  The usual Western remedies don't seem to want to work.

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I am just catching up on this wonderful blog but this post caught my eye.  Re: ginger tea - do you just cut off say a 1/2" piece of fresh ginger and steep it in a mug of hot water?  I've been having stomach issues and I would like to try it.  The usual Western remedies don't seem to want to work.

It seems like they made a large flat slice and steeped in boiling water in a teapot.  The slice seemed to be about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide and maybe 1/8 inch thick or so.  Let it steep like 5 minutes.  It should make a couple cups.  I made sure to add maybe 1.5 teaspoons of sugar to each cup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Re: ginger tea - do you just cut off say a 1/2" piece of fresh ginger and steep it in a mug of hot water?  I've been having stomach issues and I would like to try it.  The usual Western remedies don't seem to want to work.

Most people seem to prepare it similarly to how @KennethT suggests. Personally, I slice about a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger and simmer it in water for about 5 - 10 minutes then strain it through a tea strainer. I don't sugar it, but occasionally use a little honey. Sweeten to taste, I suppose. I am not particularly sweet-toothed.

I could buy commercially prepared ginger tea powder as many people do and use that, but prefer to use fresh, non-industrial ingredients. Also, before I retired, I regularly carried some home-made crystalised ginger to chew on before lecturing. It seems to me ginger in any form helps with any dyspeptic symptoms. Failing that dried ginger flakes are widely available here.

CrystallisedGinger1.thumb.jpg.125298ce77d7df5f1b49c2a8925585e3.jpg

Home-made Crystalised Ginger

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Most people seem to prepare it similarly to how @KennethT suggests. Personally, I slice about a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger and simmer it in water for about 5 - 10 minutes then strain it through a tea strainer. I don't sugar it, but occasionally use a little honey. Sweeten to taste, I suppose. I am not particularly sweet-toothed.

I could buy commercially prepared ginger tea powder as many people do and use that, but prefer to use fresh, non-industrial ingredients. Also, before I retired, I regularly carried some home-made crystalised ginger to chew on before lecturing. It seems to me ginger in any form helps with any dyspeptic symptoms. Failing that dried ginger flakes are widely available here.

CrystallisedGinger1.thumb.jpg.125298ce77d7df5f1b49c2a8925585e3.jpg

Home-made Crystalised Ginger

Just for completeness, the reasons I added quite a decent amount of sugar were two-fold: 1) When I'm not feeling well, I find that slightly sweet is soothing, but 2) sugar can help ease nausea, according to the Cleveland Clinic.  You need to scroll down quite a bit, but the essence is:

Vomiting can be prevented by consuming small amounts of clear, sweetened liquids such as soda pop, fruit juices (except orange and grapefruit because these are too acidic) and popsicles. Drinks containing sugar calm the stomach better than other liquids.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Just for completeness, the reasons I added quite a decent amount of sugar were two-fold: 1) When I'm not feeling well, I find that slightly sweet is soothing, but 2) sugar can help ease nausea, according to the Cleveland Clinic.  You need to scroll down quite a bit, but the essence is:

That is why 7-Up with both small bubble and sugar was given (maybe before Alka Seltzer "plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is" -  more for indisgestion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

That is why 7-Up with both small bubble and sugar was given (maybe before Alka Seltzer "plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is" -  more for indisgestion.

When I was young, they would always give me flat ginger ale when I was sick.  Probably why I'm not a fan of ginger ale now!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

It seems like they made a large flat slice and steeped in boiling water in a teapot.  The slice seemed to be about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide and maybe 1/8 inch thick or so.  Let it steep like 5 minutes. 

I tend to grate ginger on a dedicated ginger grater, pour boiling water over, add honey or sugar, steep, and go with that - sans straining. If it's a cold I'm treating, a shot of bourbon doesn't hurt.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Seriously: when does that ever hurt ..?!

If you take a medication called methotrexate, the next day, 1 shot of anything will provide the Mother of All Hangovers.  Don't ask how I know....

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

If you take a medication called methotrexate, the next day, 1 shot of anything will provide the Mother of All Hangovers.  Don't ask how I know....

Interesting - and apparently you don't even need the booze to get the hangover.