• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings From Frozen North Dakota

I'm a semi serious home cook, preferring simple dishes in the old Nordic style I've been around.  A lot of quick, minamalist food fried in butter, lard, beef fat, and of course a little olive oil, and a lot of this also coming from working in construction many years and wanting something good, but quick after a long day.  A do enjoy a little oven work, foundant being an absolute favorite, roast chicken parts like how my grandmother did it, and making a good stew here and there. 

I have Celiac disease, and cannot have anything with gluten, which has made trying new recipes a nightmare, and gradually made the horizon far shorter.  It has helped corral me into my simple dish habits, and has discouraged me to some extent over the years.  I finally figured that reaching out is probably the better way forward, rather than simply falling back on what I already know.

I've also gotten into deep frying as of late, which has been an interesting challenge in its own right.  After encountering a few challenges, I finally figured it was the right time to join a forum and start getting back into learning. 

Thanks for letting me in!

• Like 7

Welcome! As noted, there are a lot of folks here who cook to accommodate celiac disease. I am lucky enough not to be one, but I'm sure you'll get good guidance. I also probably won't be of much help in the frying department, although I've been learning about how to do it better. 🙂

If you have questions about how the forums work, or where (or whether) to post something, THAT I can help you with, as can any other host. Feel free to ask by PM, or in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum. I look forward to seeing where your food journey takes you!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

42 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Welcome to eG, @KingDuckford!  I think you'll find lots of information and lots of fun and good people here.  Can you tell us a little about where you are from/have lived?  I always find that interesting.  Like others, I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Always lived here.  I like quiet rural life.  Still settled on the land the family originally settled on in the 1880's. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KingDuckford said:

Always lived here.  I like quiet rural life.  Still settled on the land the family originally settled on in the 1880's. 

Wow!  Being on the land settled by your own family gives you a truly unique perspective on food and the gathering/preparing of it.  Can't wait to hear/see more. 

Hello, @KingDuckford! Fellow celiac here. If you find a good gluten free yeast bread, I’d surely appreciate a share! I’ve pretty well managed cookies, crackers and pie crusts. I even made acceptable biscuits. But yeast bread evades me.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Cool..    U do live in the USA Tundra  :0)

Post some dinner pic's and welcome

Doc B

Currently redoing my basement cook station setup, will start to take some pictures when I get to some projects. 

• Like 1