• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help needed, chocolate Easter bunny.

Yulsam

I promised my grand kids some chocolate eggs and Easter gummies for Easter. I’ve already made some eggs, but I bought this big two halves mold, and I do not know where to start. Your help and ideas are greatly appreciated. I would like to work the chocolate on Friday.

Thanks

D7FB2861-CB0C-4A4F-A5BE-B6DEF28D88A5.jpeg.d19095d824389837750fedbbfc5e2105.jpeg

You are going to get a fair amount of leak around the edges with that mold I expect - hard to tell how thick it is. See if you can find some binder clips that will get up close to the rabbit. Paint the eyes with dark chocolate - then pour maybe about 2/3 of one of the halves in milk chocolate, clip the sides together and revolve the mold until all the nooks and crannies are filled. Rotate some more until you see the chocolate is starting to firm up inside the mold - then pop in the fridge for 15 minutes or so (until the chocolate separates from the mold). 

• Like 1

Thank you Kerry, great advice.

How about trimming the molds to get the clips as close as possible to the edge.

03298EEF-0841-4E90-BCA9-A2D0AF0B9AA8.jpeg.d800a484d8c0b7bba9baa9a230354d8e.jpeg

Is warming the mold to around 30C before filling it a good idea.

I bought some Roxi & Rich colored CB. What temperature should I heat it before applying with a brush ? 34C ?

56 minutes ago, Yulsam said:

Thank you Kerry, great advice.

How about trimming the molds to get the clips as close as possible to the edge.

03298EEF-0841-4E90-BCA9-A2D0AF0B9AA8.jpeg.d800a484d8c0b7bba9baa9a230354d8e.jpeg

Is warming the mold to around 30C before filling it a good idea.

I bought some Roxi & Rich colored CB. What temperature should I heat it before applying with a brush ? 34C ?

I am not a fan of warming molds. 

If you are painting with colored CCB I tend to pour it out onto a piece of parchment and work it with the brush until it starts to thicken before painting. When it get's too thick I warm a bit with a heat gun. 

I don't find that painting on large molds gives a particularly nice result though. Might be kind of fun to just paint some florescent strips ala Suzanna Yoon in a couple of spots. 

Trimming closer will get a good start - leave enough room around so the clips get good purchase. 

That rabbit doesn't seem to have much volume, I think it might be filling the two halves with chocolate and shavings. And when it's hard, you can join the two halves with hot chocolate, and it would be aligned by joining the two halves of the mold.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I am not a fan of solid 3D bunnies - find them difficult to eat. 

The closed mold bottoms are made for hollow pieces.

I do not like solid bunnies, those in supermarkets in the uk are hollow. But they still make them with very old metal molds in the USA... I saw the youtuber Hercules Candy making them.

1 hour ago, Yulsam said:

I verified the volume of each half  mold at 600ml. So a solid fill will be more than 1 kg. Of chocolate. My son and my daughter-in-law would both kill me.

I think you could do it like the big eggs, you fill one side with chocolate, wait for it to make a layer, 1 minute, and empty the mold... repeat the process a couple of times. And the same for the other side of the mold. Let it harden and apply to the edge chocolate, and close the two halves to join them.

If you do not have the 600 grams, then use less and keep moving and let the chocolate run through all the cavities.

Thanks for your tips. I followed Kerry’s advice, trimmed the molds, filled one half with 400 grams, clipped the other half to it and rotated them. Practically no leakage, as I went overboard with the clips. Three bunnies made, and three happy grand kids.

381C9F68-0805-4594-A3E1-D811F09C331E.jpeg.3ac4b1ed77615f8ce9d6f85a3f1afc6f.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Yulsam said:

Thanks for your tips. I followed Kerry’s advice, trimmed the molds, filled one half with 400 grams, clipped the other half to it and rotated them. Practically no leakage, as I went overboard with the clips. Three bunnies made, and three happy grand kids.

381C9F68-0805-4594-A3E1-D811F09C331E.jpeg.3ac4b1ed77615f8ce9d6f85a3f1afc6f.jpeg

Well done!

• Like 1