• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Household drinking water safety

Darienne

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I wasn't talking about iffy drinking water. They bring these things to use to sterilise vegetables and meat.

Trying marching into a restaurant in China with your steriliser and solution to clean the food before the chef cooks it simply isn't going to happen. And 99% of tourists have no cooking facilities in their accommodation.

I imagine in that situation, you'll have a hard time avoiding a case of tourista

• Haha 1

Notes from the underbelly

7 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I imagine in that situation, you'll have a hard time avoiding a case of tourista

Why do you imagine that? The water in most tourist areas is clean. The only time I've ever gotten sick from food in a restaurant in China was from ice cream in an American restaurant in Xi'an twenty-eight years ago.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Why do you imagine that? The water in most tourist areas is clean. The only time I've ever gotten sick from food in a restaurant in China was from ice cream in an American restaurant in Xi'an twenty-eight years ago.

I brought up the hiking filter after reading your earlier post where you said,

"In general, the advice given is not to drink the local tap water anywhere in China. Few people, including me, ever do. When I first came here (1996), I didn't even brush my teeth with tap water, but was never concerned about washing vegetables with it (not logical, I know). I would use bottled water for teeth and for drinking. I soon gave up the teeth related usage. As someone mentioned on the thread yesterday, people do get acclimatised to the local water and less prone to negative reactions."

I didn't mean to quote the passage about restaurants.

Notes from the underbelly

I mentioned this quite some time ago, a curiosity.

at least in California , Brita is not allowed to advertise 

its calcium removal properties .

why ?  Culligan (sp?) , a major water softening company

had 'prepped'  the legislators w a bill that disallowed that information to be public

via ads.

things might have changed by now , but I have my doubts.

• Sad 2

Brita is a German company.  However in the Americas Brita filters are made by the Clorox Company, which has the rights to the Brita name.  Clorox made Brita is not the same design as Brita made Brita.  Which is why I order my Brita filters from Europe.

I cannot speak for Clorox made Brita, however Brita made Brita filters do remove water hardness...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/136349-do-brita-type-filters-work/?do=findComment&comment=2162319

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

my Brita's  , were USA purchased

there is a Brita clones these days :

https://www.amazon.com/Overbest-Replacement-Pitchers-Dispensers-Reduction/dp/B08FSPLQLZ/ref=sr_1_15?crid=13MF0XUP83RHS&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.sV6u3vCv--cDKJ67xLhfcQfFO3uyPJ1PI07h9iUDfaWYUgzK_etwH06SJBANG3xkfB-fDHLPmxn-rVQ-ozdFkwa0YRVizx-Je9RXcfeSQgb0hvIgSbUAayojkw2sq-B0aImbJKrt4oB1bDwZo88fcKNJ3hUCY_INgDZDZ8BNcS4BJMUIhiWS_vtP_yjNKhFg0ERJzMdaNRF1Dq4Md42WKI_K3Rt9HruRpinRAtrVGWQFysD4_9f-q-bPfdj4ophEKksIWEMh7mXmupEQHQtGs-fEANqcbcb-lP9SV0lT7sM.7MIze3Es4f9LkBuchLzopEgSL_Pn2EfUlqgvC4hMRiU&dib_tag=se&keywords=b%2Bbrita&qid=1717613298&sprefix=b%2Bbrita%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-15&th=1

Ive been purchasing Brita clones for some time

can't tell you the clone band  , as I have about 6 of them , 

for future needs , and have had them for a bit.

the clones that I have , remove calcium , to the same degree ad Brita USA did,

I habe Ca test strips , about 100 lifetimes worth , ie two containers , maybe 25 - 25 ++++

per can.  cheaper that way,re shipping.

the test strip company is the same company that supplied test strips to 

various hospitals Ive worked in over the various yeats 

however , one clones appear , there will be clones of clones

and we know what the business model is 

in the end, 

for chinese companies.

• Like 3

From Ames , Bili-Labsrix  1991   exp 1998   

these are 'Historical'   and i don't need to test for blood or glucose 

in ' urine '    

Hach  ' Sofchek '   50 strips , two containers , one never opened 

for Calcium only

from 2012   

that being said

no idea how long ' sealed ' cloned Brita's last 

and  , If I had to repurchase , 

Id be concerned about clones of clones , an the chinese business model.

so , I just pass the water , twice , though what I have

its only for The Espresso Machine .

I drink good old fashioned town well water .

so far so good on that.

• Like 1

We have city tap water that comes from a mix of surface water sources. They had marginal results with metals leaching from pipes some years ago but seem to have the pH under control now.

At a previous job I did a lot of drinking water testing for lead and copper. The main (heh) problem was that when people learned we were doing water testing they stopped using the water fountains, which meant the water sat in the copper pipes longer, which caused previously OK fountains to exceed the copper limit. Eventually the water provider improved their pH management.

We have a particulate filter where the water enters the house, and this thread reminded me it was due for a change so I changed it this morning. 🙂

• Like 1

Interesting about the difference in Brita filters! I just bought a package of Kirkland clones. Will have to see if it says anything on them about what they remove. A package of 10 filters will likely last me around a year, so I won't be buying again for a while. 

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO