• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Stick Braising Pan?

JoNorvelleWalker

For employment reasons I am not currently in kitchen toy buying mode at the moment, but I have discovered a weakness in my battery of cookware:

Tonight is the third time I've made Mark Bittman's NY Times Crisp-Braised Duck Legs With Aromatic Vegetables.  Obviously I like it.  Amanda Hesser critiques Bittman's recipe, saying that when she prepared the dish in her Le Creuset, the duck stuck to the pan.  She says to use a non-stick pan if you have one.  When I cooked the Crisp-Braised Duck Legs the two times before I used my Berdes non-stick wok.  This was great except the Berdes exactly does not quite fit in my Anova Prescision Oven.

Tonight I decided to try La Creuset.  I can't say I was not forewarned.  The duck stuck to the pot.  It's always great when I achieve the same results as the New York Times.

So what I need is an induction compatible (I can't live without my Paragon) non-stick braising vessel that fits in the APO.  For the application in question a lid is not required.

Thoughts?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

I just read the recipe. Maybe I am missing something, but you can just do the searing in a non-stick pan, and then do the braise part with the veggies in the Le Creuset (w/ baking paper, if this is the point where it “sticks”) …

Edited by Duvel (log)

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I just read the recipe. Maybe I am missing something, but you can just do the searing in a non-stick pan, and then do the braise part with the veggies in the Le Creuset (w/ baking paper, if this is the point where it “sticks”) …

The duck skin sticks during the "searing" but it is not really searing, as the skin crisps languidly in its own rendered fat.  Yes, a two pan solution should work, as long as there is someone to wash the extra pan.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward