• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite "go-to recipe" for a quick meal when you are pressed for time or just don't feel like cooking?

3 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I adore leftovers! Especially those I made the night before. No cooking and it's always the way I like it.Win win. 

Indeed.  I always make enough so that I don't have to cook on another day.

Gives me an evening off.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2022 at 11:16 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I was confused. I’m always up for a big bowl of popcorn. Just wasn’t sure how they are combined. 
Soup poured over a bowl of popcorn like milk on cereal?

A handful of soggy popcorn bobbing about in a bowl of soup?  
Popcorn topped with a smear of salty red Campbell's goo instead of butter?  

Missed this one previously. Not exactly a quick meal but a desperation meal when a friend and I were assigned to cook at our Uni share house the day before the coop run and pickings were extremely slim. We had broccoli and cheese and nothing else fresh. So we made popcorn surprise casserole with a layer of brown rice and steamed broc, a layer of popcorn, Campbell's mushroom soup poured over, and melted cheese on top.

Told everyone it was an old family recipe so they wouldn't insult it.

• Haha 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

33 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Missed this one previously. Not exactly a quick meal but a desperation meal when a friend and I were assigned to cook at our Uni share house the day before the coop run and pickings were extremely slim. We had broccoli and cheese and nothing else fresh. So we made popcorn surprise casserole with a layer of brown rice and steamed broc, a layer of popcorn, Campbell's mushroom soup poured over, and melted cheese on top.

Told everyone it was an old family recipe so they wouldn't insult it.

That's right, blame your family. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

That's another freezer staple easy meal here as well.  Homemade beer cheese soup....of course which must be topped with copious amounts of popcorn.

Or skip the soup preparation, and just get a beer and a piece of cheese …

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1